It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we eat bugs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

High in protein, low in fat, delicious, ubiquitous: why not eat bugs? A unique gourmet meal has Salma Abdelnour reconsidering her insectophobia ..
uo
[/qte]

I have seen some tasty crawlers in my days and have survived on very few.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Wormy parasites. Make sure cooked and not raw.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

you eat bug everyday. they are in flour, chocolate and other foods.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

If/when S really does HTF, you really might have to learn how to subsist on sources of food that you would not normally think of as palatable. Every redneck in the world isn't worried about the local grocery store not carrying any more food because they can always shoot the deer in their backyard. The ones that really know what they are doing are going to eat anything else they can get their hands on. Even the squirrels and chipmunks are going to be in short supply when/if this country (and other countries as well) faces another catastrophe like it has in the semi-recent past. What will be left for those of us who didn't prepare for such an eventuality? Yep, bugs! If you truly want to survive, you should get ready. A really good way to do so is to eat some crab or lobster...
edit on 21-3-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If it meant surviving sure why not ..Close your eyes chomp and gulp
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

like that but boiled with many more

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by emberscott

like that but boiled with many more

LOL!

Fresh grilled garlic, zucchini, parmesan cheese, and Alfredo sauce.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
All kinds of yummys mixed in eh

edit on 21-3-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
A really good way to do so is to eat some crab or lobster...
edit on 21-3-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

Haha Lightly fried prawn heads. Crunchy as hell, full of flavour.. and to think I only ever used them to make stock.

Now I'm frying up deep sea cockroach heads and eating them like pork rinds. A little bit pointy at the front, but no more odd than fried noodles.

Even better, lightly fried whole prawns, heads and all..

I'm fairly sure I could eat most insects, but if you're ever swiped at a cockroach and made contact as he scarpers for the corner, and managed to break him open, THEY STINK. Almonds or something.

So I can't eat anything that looks like one thing, but reminds me of something else entirely.

Ahh who knows, hasnt happened yet, but I think I'd rather hunt rodents and boil the hell out of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Bon Appetit

Oo

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I couldn't. I'd rather die.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Depends on the insect itself...for me that is.

I don't see any reason why humans should not reconsider eating insects, especially in western societies that seem to fear the concept. There's of course that cultural barrier that you have to break in order to get people interested. In many Asian and Latin American countries, eating insects isn't anything taboo...it's the norm.
I think I could only eat ants and maybe crickets, personally. They would have to be cooked.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well maybe...just maybe if bugs did not exist we would not have to worry as much about having enough to eat, feeding the poor, pesticides.

Some insects are beneficial and some detrimental...is this not a fact of life?

What bugs are necessary for the cycle of life?

Food for bug eating animals could be contained to a few non harmful species. Seems rather simple actually. Perhaps it is me, perhaps I am wrong here but i am just not seeing it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Remove the legs and wings fry the little guy up add a little lemon and garlic yum yum

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

That's true; you should remove the legs and wings of any insect you eat as the legs have tiny barbs that may hook in to your intestinal wall.
Many Asian and aboriginal cultures regularly eat insects and a good survivalist will too - if you want to live.

Insects are a good source of protein (around 1/3 by content).
A short list of edible insects (all should be cooked to kill any parasites):
Crickets
Grasshoppers
Cicadas
Katydids
Non-stinging species of Ants and their eggs
Any beetle not brightly colored (red/yellow and orange denote toxins inside!)

Other unmentionable edibles:
Earthworms (squeeze between fingers to remove stomach contents)
Spiders
Snails. slugs
Snakes

Lacking normal sources of protein you will have little choice.
Get over your food prejudices or die, it's that simple.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by mainidh

Remove the legs and wings fry the little guy up add a little lemon and garlic yum yum

peace,sugarcookie1

oO

Don't mind the legs, but the wings would have to go. And then I'd have to be able to forget that this little bugger tricks you by smelling like a nut that has a cyanide taste to it, like a really juicy peach nut once you get to the meat and gnaw off the wood core (love them, but some are awfully bitter), and yet it is not supposed to be.. It's supposed to taste like a cockroach!!!

lol

But I do know that as I eat seafood, they are no less a bug (crustaceans etc that basically feed off the sea floor) and it's only being accustomed to eating those spikey, antennae bound, 6 legged things that allows me to pop a whole on in my god and crunch the hell out of it, intestines and all...

I just can't seem to do that to the one that stares at me from on top of the fridge as I pass between the kitchen and toilet at 2am... I should, it would certainly save on mortien!!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It might be a good idea to try a little before you're forced to do so for long term survival.

A friend shared some fried mealworms with me that had a jalapeño powder on them. Not bad, and a little crunchy.

I recall a story a few years ago about a man who decided to grill a bunch of those 17-year cicadae and ended up having an allergic reaction that required a visit to the emergency room. He survived, but that put an end to him enjoying a plate of grilled cicada for the future.

edit on 21-3-2012 by davidchin because: fix typo

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
and ? their a good protien source. also a delicacy in these parts. funny how westerners are so squeamish about eating insects yet they eat that chemical laden .. genetically modified rubbish without a second thought...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Whenever I go to my favorite theme park, in the Jurassic Park area, they always sell these little boxes of flavored crickets. I usually prefer the BBQ ones.

They don't taste great, but not really bad either, and I do it mostly for the shock value. I grew up traveling a lot, so I got used to different cuisine early on (I used to love smoked camel meat). These days though, I have a pretty good southern American diet.

In a pinch, I'd have no qualms about eating bugs, but they wouldn't be my first choice...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Grasshoppers aren't bad, just pull off the head and the intestinal tract comes off with it. Then pull off the legs and chomp down. They are actually kind of sweet and are pretty high in protien. If need be i could survive off of them,
but I would definately be finding some wildlife pretty fast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join