It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Cop go too far???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The words that set the officer off was a threat. Apparently the kid told the cop he would "# him up".

Okay, just one thing....
That kid just about got #'d up by his girlfriend. He surely wasn't about to #-up the cop.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

The words that set the officer off was a threat. Apparently the kid told the cop he would "# him up".

Okay, just one thing....
That kid just about got #'d up by his girlfriend. He surely wasn't about to #-up the cop.

The flip side to that coin is she may have played a part in escalating the situation as well. Since the drunk was a guy, and well..drunk, its not out of the possibility that drunk had to stand up to the cop based solely on her presence. Not wanting to lose face in front of her, or even the crowd around him, its possible his mentality coupled with being drunk forced him into that action.

I'm not stereotyping or trying to come across as racist so please dont take this that way. I have had cultural awareness training. That training instructs officers in the different culture structures and gives us an insight on how to deal with those situations.

The guy looks Latino to me (he might not be). The Latino social norms revolves around respect and it can cause confrontations by "disrespecting" a Latino in front of their friends / families. It puts them into the position of saving face essentially.

If we look at Asians, specifically Japanese, in their culture when it comes to law enforcement they generally dont make eye contact and usually look towards the ground. For them its a sign of respect for the officers authority.

For Islam we are taught about how to properly address / initiate a conversation based on their social norms.

None of the examples I gave are absolute and you will find variations however the info is something we try to take into account. Personally speaking I dont care much for the more extreme interpretation of Islam however learning about it and having a basic understanding of it allows the possibility of a situation being deescalated by avoiding the misunderstandings.

Im not taking sides by the way. Just presenting the situation in other possible scenarios.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Just from the little video clip it looks like the drunk guy says something that pissed off the officer the officer made a show of arresting him. It doesn't look like the neck grab was needed at all, if he really wanted to arrest him he could of just waited for the backup officers to show up and then just put the cuffs on. Or maybe the Officer could of just stepped back and let the guy go on his merry way. It just hard to say from a little clip, and without knowing all the facts.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I could watch 1000 videos of mouthy obnoxious drunks gettin jacked up and would still want more. If you can't handle drinking in public, you get what you get. A douche or two get roughed up and hundreds of others have a good time without trouble. This tells me the cop is not the problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
An update -

Source

The Chicago Police Department said, "we have initiated an investigation into the matter and will be referring it to the Independent Police Review Authority for their review."

ETA - Im also seeing blurbs in opinion articles the guy actually jumped on the officers foot.

We really need to wait and see with the amount of conflicting / missing information.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I think its safe to say that the kid had it coming.... From listening to the audio in the background, to this, the kid was VERY lucky that there were so many witnesses present because if they werent around that cop likely would have called a couple of his buddies over an they would have given that kid a good ole ass whoopin..

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Honestly I do not think there is anything to wait and see.

I am tough on cops. I have seen many abuse authority and I have seen brutality. This situation based on the videos I have seen was warranted. I take no issue at all with this Officer's reaction, and I will even go so far as to say I think he exhibited a lot of patience.

For starters, the title is misleading. This kid is not "choked out", he was grabbed by his neck and walked back until he fell to the ground and rolled over at which point the cop sits on him. When you "choke out" someone, you cut of their air supply until they pass out. When they hit the ground, they dont roll over onto their belly or side.

Secondly, you can see numerous times where this young man flinches at the Officer in a manner that suggest he is going to attach him. He doesn't do it, he just flinches a lot trying to give the impression. The cops does nothing on many of these flinches but keeps telling the kid to go on, he refused to listen. The aggressor in this case is not the cop.. it's the young man.

As I watched several videos on this only one thing comes to mind.... be careful what you wish for cause you just may get it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
what i'm finding is that it's Actually a 21 yr old female active duty military member. maybe she had a bad reaction ot the green food coloring in her beer.

seems to me the cop was basically ignoring her antics and laughing them away because of her inebriated condition .... that is, until she pushed her way through her friend and started bumpin up in his face.

no matter the before and after, when you get up in someone's face, saying you'll F them up, it typically isn't going to end well.
:shk: all four and half feet of her.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I honestly wonder if that tiny kid truly believed he could take down that giant cop??? I understand beer muscles can come out, but still, the size difference is almost comedic....

Now class, what did we learn today?

Dont mouth off to Chicago cops to try to impress a group of strangers....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That is a female? wowser....

Being a member of the military also changes the rules in how it was handeled.

From what we have so far I would say the officer was justified in his actions however I dont agree with the method of grabbing a person by the throat. That particular action, especially to a drunk individual, could be taken way out of context.

When an officer is pissed and takes a person into custody, its usually done by grabbing the arms and going from there. Even drunks understand that concept of what is comming. Grabbing an individual by the throat could be misconstrued by the drunk as the officer trying to kill.

In all honesty how many people would have an automatic and defensive reaction if a person grabbed you by the throat? That action is one sure fire way to put the individual into a fight or flight response, and most times it results in fight simply because of self preservation.

I think the officer could have chosen a better method of taking her into custody. Aside from that and after seeing more info she was given every opprotunity to walk away by the officer.

To sum up her actions as well as the officers response method -

reply to post by jhn7537

To be honest most officers would rather deal with a 6'4 250lb drunk guy rather than a 5'2 100 pound drunk female. They fight dirty and often times below the belt. Factor in the natural hesitation when it comes to being physically aggressive towards a female.....

I will take 6'4 250 pound drunks for $500 alex...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Somewhat off topic... Why the hell does this country allow lard asses like that to be cops? If that kid turned around and broke in to a light jog, he would have lost that cop in half of a block. Like my parents' town. Of the 8 cops there, 7 are morbidly obese and the 8th is 62...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
its the easy thing to say that the cop has a hard job and that punk had it coming. but being in law enforcement means a professional who acts in a professional manner in all situations. getting angry, getting pissed off, none of those things justify or excuse the officer's behavior. not everyone can be a good at law enforcement. cursing or even yelling, or even threatening an officer is not a criminal offense. people seem to believe that if you make a threat, that's a crime. unless you threaten the potus, its not. if you show imminent ability to do harm, that's the threshold. yes, its good and civil to always be polite and show respect to law enforcement. but the constitution does not give police extra powers that must be obeyed. pissing off police is not a crime. even though it is enforced nationwide. the video is a classic example of letting your emotions get the best of you, and possibly the end of a career. when one wears a badge and a gun, more is expected. if you don't expect more, you allow degradation of discipline and dishonor of the finest.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Unfortunately, for the officer, he just doesn't look to be threatened so his force does look excessive. At the same time, the officer's authority is being impuned and he does have the right to restrain and detain the kid. The kid's mom probably has her hands full with that little SOB's tantrums, and quite possibly, the officer saw this as a teachable moment.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I did not see any "choke out", the cop did put his hands on the kids throat to get him to the sidewalk but no choke out. The people there seem to be in full support of the cop, I say the kids had a few to many on St Paddy's day and got what was coming.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
Somewhat off topic... Why the hell does this country allow lard asses like that to be cops? If that kid turned around and broke in to a light jog, he would have lost that cop in half of a block. Like my parents' town. Of the 8 cops there, 7 are morbidly obese and the 8th is 62...

Care to show me where its required for an officr to engage anyone in a foot pursuit?

Secondly keep in mind that for large scale events like this, staff is pulled from various divisions, including detectives / swat / administration / command staff etc. Its possible the officer is not a patrol officer. Is there any particular reason law enforcement should look like greek gods?

The more we attribute to the perception of how law enforcement should look or act, the more we drive a wedge inbetween. When law enfrocement responds to calls for service, its not restricted to just people who are in top physical form.

You think he is fat /over wieght and that view is fine. However try and look at it from a different view. This officer could have a history of weight issues going back to his childhood. That experience will allow him to better relate with people who are suffering from the same issue who are not coping well with it.

When you continually apply stereotypes to law enforcement the more dissapointed people are going to be in the results. We are human whether people like that / accept that or not. Just because a person is over weight does not mean they cannot contribute positively to society or law enforcement.

Sometimes its the ability for a person to identify with the officer that allows for the best possible outcome where as if it were anyone but, it could end in disaster.

Please don't judge a book by its cover... or in this case a ship by its hull.

reply to post by DavidWillts

Thats my main issue on this. I want to know what occurred prior to the recording. What occurred that brought the officer into contact with the drunk female?

Context is king in this case...

edit on 21-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: spelling

edit on 21-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: fixing my lysdexia... errr dyslexia

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I learned early in life that police are people. If you treat them nice, most likely they will respond in kind.

But today, we are raising kids to defy authority. It starts in schools where teacher can no longer do anything to students.

Then the mouthy kids get bigger and think that there will never be consequences when they mouth off.

Mouth off to the cops and they will not take it. I hope the stupid kid learned a lesson.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Im thinking the kid did something worth it, you can hear people saying things like "That's what you get for being a ____". For a group of youths to support a cop like this these days really says something about the guy getting pwned.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

Im thinking the kid did something worth it, you can hear people saying things like "That's what you get for being a ____". For a group of youths to support a cop like this these days really says something about the guy getting pwned.

Rspectfully I dont want to take the crowds reaction as jusitification for the officers actions or for the suspects actions. The argument the person had it coming is also bad joo joo in my book.

For situations like this the line from A few Good Men comes to mind -

... It doesn't matter what I believe. It only matters what I can prove!...

Hence why I want toknow what ocured that startd the entire event.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Care to show me where its required for an officr to engage anyone in a foot pursuit?

My citation shall be every episode of Cops ever. And World's Wildest Police Videos.

I did keep that in mind, and he would have been far more effective as a dispatcher or horse patrolman. And who said anything about Greek gods? If you can't see your genitals without a mirror, you shouldn't be on foot patrol.

Ignoring the paragraph after that.

I don't "think" the guy is fat, look at him. Just before he strangled that kid, he probably won a corned beef and cabbage eating contest. If I look at it from the POV you suggested, I see this: I have had weight problems since childhood.

At 10 years old, I was 115 pounds, about 40 over average. At 20 I was in jail for a while and had reached 285. Now at 28, I am 6'1 and 245 pounds, but I make the effort to not look like my life is one long Hostess snack binge. I am overweight according to BMI charts and whatnot, but find a soft spot on me. This does not allow me to relate to people with weight problems, it allows me to relate to people who got off of their asses and did something about it.

As I said before, he can contribute. Be a dispatcher, DARE officer, horse patrolman... Or, put down the Twinkie and hit the gym. Maybe that will help get your anger issues under control.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

I have to agree to a point, but literally going for the throat is not something a cop should ever be able to get away with. He could have restrained him by other means, choking the little assclown was going too far.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join