It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.02 for a gallon of gas....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ha you guys are all lucky, here in the UK it's insanely priced. about 70% of the price is tax as well! How on earth is that even legal?!?!!?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Well, to be fair it's all swings and roundabouts. Public transport just hiked prices again here so we do pay a lot but not having the cost of a car, tax, insurance and maintenance is something I can miss. Business here also gets fuel with a much lower duty rate or no duty at all.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My truck gets about 322,560 rods per hogshead.
You can keep your foolish metric system.

edit: how long can this silly thread keep going like this?
edit on 3/21/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: silly thread

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

The other part is that in America sometimes you have to fly and that is where they really get you and bend you over.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

lol a 30 mile round trip isn't very far at all. That's just fifteen miles each way! You don't even need a car, a bicycle will do that easily if you had to without taking ages. IMO anything under 35 miles each way is close. Most people who work non office/static located jobs have to travel very far everyday.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Its about 11.50(usually .5 - 1 dollar more depending) for a 25 pack of the ones i smoke, about 9.50 for a 20 pack. If you get the really good ones like DeMaurier, or Benson&Hedges you're paying 15 - 17 dollars a pack.

Yeah, Canada usually does get screwed over when it comes to prices and such. Like the price of books here for example (just as an example because its easy) USD is about 1/8 of a cent more than our currency right now. Yet on the back of a book here we see two prices, USD and CAD. A book for 11 dollars USD used to be about 18, But they fixed it because people were noticing when our currency made the hop over yours a few years back.

There are some things we pay more for, but it seems a lot of wealthyish canadians go down to the US to shop because its cheaper, and to get cars because they're cheaper as well. Theres a guy i know that goes down with a couple of flat beds and comes home with half a dozen cars and makes a nice profit off it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
I remember paying $.91 a gallon to fill up my Pacer my senior year in high school. That was 1998.

It's ridiculous how much money gasoline is costing us and how far our country has fallen since the time I became a legal adult.

Holy Ish! You had a Pacer in 1998???

Please tell me it was baby blue...with flames...and a red rope dispenser?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

The other part is that in America sometimes you have to fly and that is where they really get you and bend you over.

True dat. I know from personal experience that sometimes a plane flight is the only way if something happens suddenly but it's not something I will be doing again in a hurry. I can rent a car and get the boat back to the UK (where I have family) should the need arise almost as quickly.

It's not quite TSA touchy feely here in Holland at airports but not far off either. I think they did ban those ionising radiation body scanners now though.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
OMG!!! im british and here its about $9 per gallon!!!!
with currency conversion and litre to gallon
and you are saying usa should invade canada?
more like europe should invade usa/canada!!!

greedy buggers should drive more efficient cars!!
edit on 21-3-2012 by Insearchofthetruth1987 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

duh multiply they dont post the gallon price. Good mind control LOL

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

My wife is one of those. She drive 50-60 miles every day visiting nursing homes. For an 'office static' job, 15 miles is relatively far. Additionally, I estimated, 15 as the crow flies. Turns out to be more like 18 each way on the road.
If your non 'office static' job does not pay your gas while you're working... Find Another Job!

The US is not very biker friendly. Regardless, I could not afford the time lost for riding my bike. It is Much cheaper for me to work 8hrs and drive, than 7hrs and ride my bike.
Similar scenario applies to vehicle selection. I drive an older 4runner. If I were to sell that to get a newer hybrid or electric car, the cost of insurance alone would outweigh the difference in gas consumed. My insurance on the 4runner is $12/month. Premium on a new car would be more like 90 - 100. The trade of is not worth it! So I stick with ole trusty!

Furthermore, you did not disprove the point I was trying to make. Read Carefully!

edit on 21-3-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Metirc Shmetric...

Whoops forgot to convert your paranoia...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
When I got my drivers license in 1972,

Gas was $.45 a gallon, and while they were pumping it for you, they would check your fluid levels, clean your windshield and air up any tires that looked low...They were actually called "Service Stations" back then.

Marlboro's were 5 bucks...... a CARTON!

Ever since the Arab oil embargo in 1974?
That's when we started seeing "Self-Serve" pumps and prices going crazy...

Less for more, That's the Corporatist's dream....

And it doesn't look like that will ever change...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I was going to include that in my original response, yes I am from Upstate. Everything in NYC costs more than NY as a whole. It's the same in any big city. People in those areas generally make more though.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
The thing that sucks about that app though is it doesn't let you look at prices outside of US and Canada. I would like to check out gas prices in other countries and see where they are at.

Most of the world is going to be far more expensive than in the U.S. for gasoline. Most of that is because of drastically higher taxes, while some has to do with distance from refineries and transit cost of oil to said refineries. You'll find better prices in places like Kuwait, but that's an outlier.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

$12/month for insurance?! I need to move to wherever you are. I pay $36 a month for basic coverage with every discount known to man. Sure, it's State Farm, maybe you're with a discount provider, but that's still 3x as much - and the cheapest I've ever paid for stupid car insurance!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with laziness. Public transportation systems are extremely expensive to put in and maintain.

The DC Metro system, which is a great public transporation system, needs an overhaul to the tune of 150 million dollars. There is a project to extend the DC redline into Baltimore to connect to the two cities and just that line extention alone is estimated to cost 2.2 Billion dollars.

The cities that do have a great public transportation system, have a very high real estate value as a result, like NYC.
In DC, the cost of a house can go up 25k for each block closer you get to a metro station.

Then public city schools tend to be worse then the suburbs, so basically people have no choice but to live in the suburbs.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Thank You.

That is what a lot of Europeans don't understand. Public transporation depends on the city it is in, and most people don't have access, or its poor.

The average commute is for an American is 30 miles one way.

I live only 9 miles from work. But to take public transporation from where I live, it will take 2 hours, and I would have to do 2 exchanges.

If you don't live in the city proper, you usually don't have access to public transporation.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The fact that this got starred shows that the people who starred it do not understand what/how Canadians pay.

You see, they pay for gas in LITRES, not gallons.

That's $1.02 per litre. As someone mentioned, you need at least 4.4 of those to equal 1 gallon.
edit on 21-3-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I have never heard of $12 car insurance.

Not all states have the same insurance laws. Some states allow you to have pseudo coverage that is not even considered coverage by other states, and if you hit one of those people, you might as well be involved with an un-insured driver.
The owner of the vehicle can get screwed as well. They have high deductibles, and almost no PIP coverage.
Where you live is also a huge factor. I moved 15 miles once and my insurance jumped 300 a month. And not that is not a typo. That is because the intersection nearby had high accidents and the area has thefts.
Trust me, you would rather pay more and actually be covered,not have a 1000 deductable, and then your fighting with the insurance companies for months to get medical bills coverage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join