It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA USAOs: Alien Craft? NOT Ice Crystals!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Thanks for the detailed response which helps identify the faulty assumptions you've guessed at, which lead you to the erroneous deductions.

Leaks on the shuttle are actually particularly hard to detect because they are usually small seepages and don't affect quantity guaging at all. Often they are first detected by visual observation of a particle stream [Skylab-4, for example]. Also, nozzle temperature sensors are supposed to provide clues, because they may show abnormal cooling that is caused by fluid evaporation. When I was first in mission control, at the auxiliary propulsion consolte [STS-1 and -2], one of my duties was to monitor for leaks, so I worked very hard at developing techniques and imagining failure modes -- and we saw them.

So leaks occurring throughout an entire mission duration were part of my professional experience, despite your confident 'common sense' proclamation that they couldn't happen and.or always would be documented. Please adjust your assumptions to be more congruent with reality.

OK, so which missions did you detect leaks and NASA did not discuss these in the Reports where they always seemed to report water leaks from the nozzles? In our discussions before all of the examples you gave were the result of some failure that was documented.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

But I don't know about those things so let me get to the other thought. If a water drop leaks out into space, wouldn't it freeze in situ and therefore blocking any other drops waiting their turn to exit? I'm being simplistic but I'm sure you know what I'm addressing. Wouldn't the leaks happen only in the lower atmosphere below the freezing point?

Is there any way to pinpoint leaks on the shuttle, creating a safer vehicle? Could the leaks rupture if enough ice builds up in these exit openings?

That's a good question. On a nominal mission the nozzels that eject water and waste water are heated so that water flows freely from them into space at which point the indivudual droplets boil off until on average a 1mm diameter ice crystal forms which in turn sublimes after about 5 mins on average.

As for a rupture, I don't believe there would be enough pressure to cause that. If a nozzel fails they can divert the water or land with it if they need to do so, IIRC.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by buzzEmiller
reply to post by The Shrike

Is the #6 (WITH THE WEIRD DOUBLE FRAME) from the Martyn Stubbs master of the Mir Fly-around at the secretnasaman channel on youtube, or a copy by others..or by Luna?

And re ice..not on that Mir clip, as objects move about for at least 10 unedited mins. on the raw version.

I have the tape produced by Martyn Stubbs titled "THE SECRET NASA TRANSMISSIONS:..." but I haven't viewed it in a while and I don't remember if the weird flash-by seen in #6 is in that tape. I took the (print) screen from the LunaCognita video on YouTube as well as the other frames.

www.straightdope.com...
Would a glass of water in space freeze or boil?
March 30, 1984

Finally, we have the question of liquids in space. In a vacuum most liquids have such a low boiling point that they vaporize almost instantly. For that reason, most substances exist in space in either the gaseous or the solid state. When the astronauts take a leak while on a mission and expel the result into space, it boils violently. The vapor then passes immediately into the solid state (a process known as desublimation), and you end up with a cloud of very fine crystals of frozen urine. Ooh, ick, the sixth graders may say, but I'm betting it's one physics demonstration they wouldn't soon forget.

— Cecil Adams

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hey shrike,

On average each of those 'icky' urine ice crystals should be 'icky' on average for about 5 minutes until they sublime.

It's a common Myth that Astronaut urine persists in space for years, it does not.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
Hey shrike,

On average each of those 'icky' urine ice crystals should be 'icky' on average for about 5 minutes until they sublime.

It's a common Myth that Astronaut urine persists in space for years, it does not.

So then it wouldn't be pc to say that the aliens are pissed off, or on?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

No that just wouldn't be accurate.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
So is this thread about UFO's or pisscycles and leaking toilets??

edit on 23-3-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Hey shrike,

"Common myth" means you can find citations for that silly exaggeration on the Internet -- but you can't. You just made it up, like so much else about what you're so gol-darned certain of about ice in space.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here's some discussions of the 1984 'pissicle' with photos:

Discussion
forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

pix of iceberg attached to side:
forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

pix of it drifting off:
spaceflight1.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Hey shrike,

"Common myth" means you can find citations for that silly exaggeration on the Internet -- but you can't. You just made it up, like so much else about what you're so gol-darned certain of about ice in space.

Opps, look I found the myth written in a book. Guess you owe me an apology for saying I made it up Jim.

Meterorites in the early solar system II page 7

www.amazon.com...
edit on 23-3-2012 by lost_shaman because: add link to answer Jim's question below

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So somebody else made it up -- you're off the hook. Who wrote the book and how can I ask him why he made that claim?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here is the myth again.

Fifty-five years after the Soviet Union blasted Sputnik 1 into orbit and the Space Age began, the Earth is now surrounded by a fast-moving and ever-increasing halo of the detritus of off-world exploration, running the gamut from defunct satellites to whirling globules of deep-frozen astronaut urine - and worse.

www.telecomtv.com...

And again...

Discarded rocket stages, dropped spanners, even chunks of deep-frozen astronaut urine whizz around the globe at up to 25,000 miles per hour, in what Newsweek calls the "debris cloud" of some 750,000 objects larger than a marble, and even more smaller ones.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 23-3-2012 by lost_shaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
So is this thread about UFO's or pisscycles and leaking toilets??

edit on 23-3-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

No, it just leaked into the conversation!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Here's some discussions of the 1984 'pissicle' with photos:
snip
pix of it drifting off:
spaceflight1.nasa.gov...

Nice, round "pissicle" with blinking companion w-a-a-y in the distance.

A fleet of "pissicles" videotaped from earth.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Here you go. I think this one has been posted before but just helping out.

A belated thanks.
edit on 23-3-2012 by The Shrike because: To correct reply.

edit on 23-3-2012 by The Shrike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Another video with ice shed from the orbiter.

Is this "Another video with ice shed from the orbiter."? What is it? Is there a land mass with this shape which seems to have part of it above the clouds?
From STS-131

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I didn't say anything about those images being ice.

#2 Could as easily be (and more likely is) a smudge or a reflection on the window as an alien craft. The original images before and after it have any number of "anomalies". The image in the video had a 3 second exposure, the odd shape would be a result of camera movement.

#3 Is hard to track down because the ID is wrong but it looks like it could be a scanned image with a fiber caught in the scanner.

#7 Is more likely a reflection from inside the shuttle than an alien craft.

#8 Another reflection.

Speaking of reflections, did you see this thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I enjoy seeing everyone's opinions whether I agree with them or not. I don't see it the way you do but I cannot offer any explanations other than plain ol' wondering what is seen. Chances are more on your side than what is shown being alien. The visual information doesn't contain definite detail to come to a conclusion. Speculating is fun and leads to opening the mind to think differently when offered unsure information.

The video at the thread you supplied the link to points to lens flares. I would never consider it anything but.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

No. At 2:16 of LC's little video is not ice. It is a water drop inside the shuttle. In the full video numerous "flashes" are seen, also lots of dark spots. They seem to be recording artifacts (tape?). The scene of interest begins at about 10:00.
www.nss.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Yes. It is ice which is shed from the main engine nozzles. It is between the shuttle and the tank. That image is of such dreadful quality I can see how you would make that mistake though.
You can see it at about 3:00 here. It's quite brief but just before it leaves the frame it's pretty obvious.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 3/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

No. At 2:16 of LC's little video is not ice. It is a water drop inside the shuttle. In the full video numerous "flashes" are seen, also lots of dark spots. They seem to be recording artifacts (tape?). The scene of interest begins at about 10:00.
www.nss.org...

If it's a water drop inside the shuttle, it's either in space or it's running down the glass. If it's in the space inside the shuttle, how is it able to do a curved "glide" or "fall" and why isn't it shaking itself into non-round shapes as other liquids have been shown in other videos? If it's gliding down the glass surface, why isn't it leaving a trail and, again, why is behaving as if it was being affected by gravity? When astronauts play with liquids, they don't fall, make curved glides, and they want to shake themselves out of a round shape.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join