It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April fools day asteroid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Looks like a fly by near kiss,just found a week ago with a condition code 7.Don't know much myself but your welcome to jump all over it.ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

It's close approach on April 1, according to the close approach data at the bottom of that page, is at a distance of 0.00153 AU, which is 0.6 LD (0.6 times the distance between the Earth and the Moon).
Condition Code 7 means it's orbital uncertainty is moderately high (probably because it was just recently found). The scale is 0-9, with 0 being good and 9 being highly uncertain (source).

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Nice leap,thanks for the explanation and the courtesy not to dumbify me

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
OK maybe I was a bit off, but why do people want to announce what they think may be doom?

Have you no gumption?

What would you win?
edit on 20-3-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

There was no doom mentioned at all,It was an observation on the space exploration forum with a twist

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

I guess it is better than waiting till the 1st of April before sharing this news. People might not believe you.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable

There was no doom mentioned at all,It was an observation on the space exploration forum with a twist

Twist is doom, are you coloring me stupid?

Get real.

It is the size of a house!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable

Twist is doom, are you coloring me stupid?

Get real.

It is the size of a house!!!

If the shoe fits huh? A twist is not doom, it's a twist which is generally some form of irony (April Fool's Day event/potential event/non-event/situation that has a non-zero probability of being real) or something unexpected (like a cat 7 asteroid passing fairly close to the planet on April Fool's Day). The OP mentioned no doom or gloom, just a casual observation of an object approaching our "space." And it's only the size of a house, lol, if it was going to hit, it would probably break up on the way down, so no big deal right? Unless it's made of iron?

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye (don't look up), or gets hit in the head by an asteroid fragment traveling at mach 10 ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Where in the orbit diagram data do you read its size?

Sorry, bit noobish here

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

NASA's NEO list gives its size as 38-85 m (125-279 ft). That's more of a small condominium than a house.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thanks for your reply. But is the NEO list on the orbit-diagram? Or is there a link i have somehow missed in the orbit-diagram, that takes me directly to this info for the particular asteroid ?

If i click "Physical parameters", all i get is a Java error.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Kewl, CLP... I saw this at work, I somehow got to the asteroid flyby listings from Spaceweather.com and noticed numbers made it seemed awfully close, but the java wasn't working. Thanks for the explanations.

ETA: Will this be moving too fast to catch with a cheapy Bushnell telescope, or be able to be viewed in the U.S. even?
edit on 21-3-2012 by Earthscum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

Too fast and way too small. Good luck getting a look at a small condominium as it flies by at 230,000 km (143,000 mi).

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thank goodness.At least its not an extinction level event if it does hit.An would probably land in ocean.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

If it did impact, it would only do significant damage to an area the size of a large town. Or part of a city. Not both...it would have to choose one or the other.

new topics

top topics

join