It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a cure for atheism?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by alkesh
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's like trying to get an answer from a door knob innit?

Are you ever going to ask an intelligent logical question?

Or just continue personal attacks - - which reflect personally on you.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I don't understand atheism. I'm not atheist. I believe in something more than science. However, I know some and they are all good people. I don't think that atheism is a disease. However, I would state that it is a belief. They have a problem with religion and god. Okay - so do I. Add it to the long long list of things people have a problem with.

As to the worlds increased depravity and apathy - I blame consumerism and materialism. Not atheists. When you glorify violence and sex everywhere for a buck - things are gonna get sh***y. Ahem, I mean messy.

I think that you also mentioned that atheists don't argue fairly. I would disagree with that generalization also. I, if I must marginalize a group of people, would say that most are logical and capable with very good critical thinking skills. They can be rigid in their beliefs and faith in science - which is concerning for the field of science. However, none of us are perfect.

I like variety and diversity. They make conversations fun and interesting. Besides, atheism is not part of the 90% + who do believe in a higher intelligence or power that created mankind. They are outnumbered and outvoted. Their beliefs and opinions make little difference when 9 out of 10 people disagree with them anyways.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by alkesh
. . . over simply what are beliefs are . .

If you are attempting some kind of respect here for diversity - - - then state that Atheism is NOT a belief.

Beside that: Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" is the ultimate video everyone should respect.

"Pale Blue Dot"

Here is another alterinitive;

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
I don't understand atheism. I'm not atheist. I believe in something more than science. However, I know some and they are all good people. I don't think that atheism is a disease. However, I would state that it is a belief. They have a problem with religion and god. Okay - so do I. Add it to the long long list of things people have a problem with.

Cool. At least you tried to add something new - intelligent - and thoughtful to the discussion.

I was raised Christian. I know the basics of being Christian. I say "basics" only because it just never took. There was always that "OK" - - yeah - but not quite. As much as I tried - - - tried to be like others who believed - - - I just couldn't take the "next step". It just was not there. It just never was.

What is there to understand about Atheism? From the root: A = NO or None. Theist = deity/god. No God.

Nothing from nothing is still nothing. Lack of belief is Nothing. It is not a Non-belief or rejection of belief - - - it is simply No belief. People with belief - - really struggle with this.

NOW - - - it does not mean some Atheists have no belief at all. Many do. They just lack belief in a deity.

Protection - - here we come.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I believe in do no harm, it doesn't take a supernatural being to tell you you've a good spirit. There are just too many contradictions and omitted facts, as well as common sense being overlooked. Faith is the hub. Put anything in one hand and then faith in the other and see which one has something tangible and usable in it. Ask your self this, Why would a God go through so much trouble to make humans to worship him, and then turn around and punish them and cast them in to a flaming pit like a little boy on an ant hill with a magnifying glass? If he was so great and so loving, why did he not make us in his own image, perfect and forever free of sin?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Yes. The cure for atheism is god making an appearance.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Would anyone truly still have free will after being confronted with the face of the creator?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
Would anyone truly still have free will after being confronted with the face of the creator?

Free will isn't free will when you're threatened.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

Which is why He won't reveal himself to the world until the "end."

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

And threaten in the meantime that if it is not believed in, it will damn us for eternity - or so I've been told.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This OP is a fine example of what I mean when I say ''zealots make us all look bad''. When religion is discussed everyone just generalizes the other side instead of taking in what they have to say personally. Deciding to belong to a group doesn't make you moral or not. There are good and bad examples of people on both sides.

Question to OP...How many atheists have you ever known well enough to know how moral they really are? These sweeping generalizations suggest you haven't meet many people...period...these things describe many people from many different groups...religious or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This was another boring chri-fundi-thread. Thank you not.

At least you (the original OP) didn't get much S&Fs.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Erm you get people who are douchebags in all walks of life and you can't just say they were because they didn't have religion....maybe you labeled them douchebags because they don't share the same religion as you.
(But if he is racist yeah he is one)

Again, an atheist labeling me as judgmental of someone because they are an atheist, which of course is judgmental on your part. I guess that would make you a hypocrite.

I prefer not to associate with douchebags, but I can tell you that of all the Christians I know, I would not be able to label them as one. I can't say the same for to atheists I've known.

Heck I don't care if Iam judgemental and I only judge people on who they are not if they believe in a type of Religion.
Have I said Iam an Atheist? no you are judging me and getting it alllll wrong. You are the one trying to put every Christian in a good light and every Atheist in a bad one.
All I said is it is wrong to say ALL Atheists are douchebags and all Christians are good like you have implied in your first post and your response to my comment.
YOU GET DOUCHEBAGS IN ANY BELIEF SYSTEM.
I stand by my comment that you think Atheists are douchbags because they don't share the same religion as you because you proved it again above...Pfft.
Iam a Hypocrite? Sorry fella if the big J did come back and read your post I think he would call you the very same.

edit on 21-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

surely a reveal today
or a reveal in fifty thousand years time
will mean the same thing, in that respect?
either we had free will all along or we didn't.
showing up at the end and going "hey guys, it was me all along" is pretty much the biggest dick move i can think of, ever.

which is why i fervently hope there is no god.
i mean seriously.... you design your most loved creation in the laziest, most half-assed fashion [think about the way we have our children, and the deal with our windpipe, for example]
then you give them the most vague pile of instructions and moralising stories
warn that if we don't follow these for ever and a day we'll all burn in various nasty ways
then nick off, leaving future generations in the hands of the church.
and expect to be seen as almighty good and light?

well, sounds a lot like MY father.
pscht.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Irony. Take god away from a religious man and his entire belief structure falls apart. Why is killing wrong? "Because god said so." Why is stealing wrong? "Because god said so." Why is homosexuality wrong? "Because god said so." And so on.

So if the Bible wasn't in existence those things would be okay? I don't think so.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

i think their point was more along the lines of how we don't need god to tell us those things are wrong.
second coming. i mean line. heck, both.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura

i think their point was more along the lines of how we don't need god to tell us those things are wrong.
second coming. i mean line. heck, both.

Oh. I agree with that as my post should have implied. I think we all know subconsciously that all those things are wrong.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
First and foremost, atheism is not a disease, nor does anyone who professes to be an atheist need to be "cured". However in my opinion, religious intolerance is a mental defect and should have no place in our society.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by Patchman

After doing some research on atheism I learned some interesting facts.

Moral Depravity is one of the main causes of atheism.

Link?

darwin used such absurd lies to propagate atheism, and many followed in his footsteps..

Link?

Superficiality was the next most common cause.

Link?

Which is very apparent if you have actually met on of these individuals in person.

Link?

The third cause was the lack of ability to analyze and evaluate facts and information fairly.

What information? Link?
edit on 20-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

AHAHAHAH Bravo!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join