It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samsung Galaxy S3 with Wireless charger...Is this Tesla's dream coming true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Samsung Galaxy S3 might come standard with wireless charging

The Samsung leaks just won’t stop these days. It seems Samsung may launch the Galaxy S3 with its own proprietary wireless charging station. The smartphone will not even need to touch the charger, as it can charge from a distance of 1-2 meters. That seems pretty futuristic, if you ask me, considering that only a few years ago wireless charging was more of a science lab experiment.

Of course, Samsung wouldn’t be the first to use wireless charging for a phone. The Palm Pre was one of the first to have to boast the wires-free charging technology. But Samsung may have improved the technology, if the information concerning the 1-2 meters charging range is to be believed. This also means that we’re talking about Samsung’s own proprietary technology, one that they’ve potentially patented, and not the Fulton eCoupled method seen at CES.

Apparently, Samsung has not decided yet whether it will include the wireless charging station or not, because it adds quite a bit to the cost of the phone. When you consider the rumored quad-core chip, the LTE integration, ceramic casing (maybe Micro Arc Oxidation, a la HTC One S), the 4.8″ Super AMOLED screen, and even the 1080p resolution, all of those high-end specs will add bulk to the cost of the phone.

However, even if they can’t include the wireless charging station in the Galaxy S3 base package, you will probably still be able to buy it separately, so, ultimately, it will be your own choice if you want to pay the premium or not. Source www.androidauthority.com...

I was pretty amazed hearing this.. One of the odds was, the other day i was thinking about better batteries for these smart phones, i was thinking about a kinetic battery since these batteries die way too quickly[already invented
]..But this...This sounded like wireless [free] energy tesla was dreaming about, well dreaming, he couldn't find the sponser money at JP morgan..
Please comment and give your thoughts about this and the potential possibilities for our future energy consumption..

P.s Samsung already patented it

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
One of the questions i have, could it have something to do with the ceramic casing of the S3...?
edit on 20-3-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the wireless charger will still need to be plugged into a power source. Thus not free energy.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Even if they patent it, it'll still be copied somehow, though the end results could mean so much more though i'm curious if the wireless charging has any effects like i think from memory wireless internet can affect a mans potency yeah thats a good word haha. So i'm curious be it different type of wireless but if wireless charging has any ill effects or not, just like living under power lines has/hasn't been linked to higher rates of cancer maybe the wireless charging may have some sort of similar affect, or if its just like beamed to the device. who knows

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Tesla was insane. As much creativity and vision as he had... he had lost considerable touch with practicality.

The main difficulty in wireless charging is that of coupling. RF frequencies are still measured in meters - with microwaves measuring into the centimeters. Those wavelengths are necessary in order to couple the power into a winding that can then be rectified and regulated to an appropriate voltage. However, those same wavelengths are notably hazardous to human health (RF leaks are the cause of damage to reproductive organs and soft tissues, such as the eyes).

The other problem is the inverse square law of field propagation. The amount of power available to the cross-sectional area you occupy falls off exponentially as you move away from the source. Which means that it becomes exponentially more difficult to safely power devices at greater ranges.

Which is why this wireless charging thing is more gimmicky than it is effective. It is really only practical in very low power devices where the application of photovoltaics is difficult or not possible.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
WOW im totally surprised that they would release this type of technology to the public. I know its only a cell and that it has to be plugged in to the wall to work but this could lead to futer advancements if we dont kill eachother before we get the chance to make that happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JELLYWAX
I'm pretty sure the wireless charger will still need to be plugged into a power source. Thus not free energy.

I know it begins with just two meters, but it is a start, eventually you may [illegally] tap from a source further away, right now we are talking about the battery not about the power source right?
Tesla curved energy with his coil over 26 miles using the earth's own resonance..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

but this could lead to futer advancements if we dont kill eachother before we get the chance to make that happen.

You mean I would only have to sit within two meters of a wall outlet to charge my phone!? That's simply unprecedented amounts of freedom. My current cord is only six feet long.

Satire aside - I'm planning to put together a nice photovoltaic USB and 19V battery-buffered charger together before I ship off to the desert. Seems a bit more practical of a "freedom" device than a wireless charger.

Although I could plug one of those into the inverter I have in my car... and any compatible phone in the car could be charged without effort. That is about the extent of its usefulness, as far as I can see, though.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
S3 - trolllolololololo...they didnt showed it in barcelona so it will take another year for a "real" S3 or will be just an upgraded S2 (means no HQ upgrades like wireless charging..)...anyway, great PR...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

No.

Tesla's dream was to provide free energy to everybody on earth, using the earth's natural power grid. Using Geo-Static energy that has been hidden away and made illegal by companies like GE.

This whole wireless power isn't anything new, it's just a way for them to sell you energy instead of making it free like it should be.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Tesla's dream was a free power distribution system utilizing electrostatic potentials (which are less subject to field decay).

There were several problems with the idea, however. First - building Tesla-coils the size of skyscrapers is a notably dangerous proposition. Second - while it was good for exciting fluorescent gasses, it was not so good for powering devices like your vacuum cleaner, garbage disposal, and televisions. Third - it lacked a proper means of being a business. Operating and maintaining the facility takes resources (generally afforded by capital/money). Services charge a fee to maintain the system and pay to expand the service as advances are made or demand rises in an area that requires additional infrastructure. Under this system - there is no means of billing someone for the service provided.

Of course, it's a good thing Tesla's dream was never 'realized.' A power infrastructure based off of it, aside from effectively sterilizing the population, would also have stunted (if not outright destroyed) the development of solid-state electronics and discrete semiconductor components. No computers. No internet. Radios the size of dormitory refrigerators.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Old technology, here's a video from 3 years ago:

Samsung patented their own version of it, and so have many other companies.

No free energy. Tesla did do something similar, not useful for free energy in the least. His other plans to suck energy out of the "ether" was just not realistic. No myth needed.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Simple answer, NO.

Tesla promoted the idea that he could send massive current via an oscillating waveform through the air and through the Earth. He never achieved it (but he made some pretty sparks from his resonant coil design). In all history subsequently, we have never achieved it. The problem is the losses and inefficiency of both the Earth and the atmosphere, as conductors (at any frequency). Wires are just far more efficient.

If Tesla had been good enough at math, he would have seen that James Clark Maxwell's equations from 100 years earlier, clearly indicate the problem with losses. Apparently, Tesla wasn't that good at math, but that comes as no surprise. He only studied Electrical Engineering at the Austrian Polytechnic in Graz for two semesters before dropping out of the course and then later attended the Charles-Ferdinand University in Prague for only a single semester in 1880 before dropping out again. Hardly an electrical genius!

This telephone charger uses magnetic inductance which is significantly different to what Tesla talked about with his "wireless power transmission" nonsense. It also only generates a small current which is sufficient for 'trickle charging' the battery.

top topics

join