It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The CGI is obvious. The wings are to rigid and shinny.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think the OP, DISINFORMANT, has left the building ... I wonder why

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
After watching the videos multiple times, I'm still left scratching my head.
Whether it be sheer amazement of the feat, or the possibility of forgery... the mind boggles.

One thing did stand out to me immediately (in clip 14/14) was the mechanics and movement of his legs from the natural running state to pulling them up, and holding them there through the duration of flight. Upon first look it was almost, as if- well, scripted so to say. But.... maybe not.

There is something else going on there with his legs, and if you take a close eye to it, you can see that in the last video he has some sail (like a web) between his shins/feet that is deployed once he gets in the air.

Anyone else seeing that?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Thank you for proving OP the legend of Icarus.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
A simple google search shows that this story is in a ton of trendy science magazines--this in itself kinda validates the authenticity.

As to the change in the video, they even said that it was two different videos cut together because they damaged one of the wings in the first shot and had to repair it.

The entire process of this machine's creation is documented throughout the videos and in documents on the guy's site. It all explains how the machine was built. The science is sound. Obviously he would not be able to flap the wings if he were relying on the strength of his own muscles. His movement is mimicked through the use of two smartphones, 2 wii controllers and 2 electronic motors that actually do all of the work for him. The fact that he's flapping his arms at all is really just a stylistic choice, as he's exerting no actual force.

It really only takes ten minutes of actual research to find out whether or not this is real. Apparently people find it much more amusing to argue with one another, however...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well, never mind about the google search. It seems that the entire world pretty much reneged over the previous forty-eight hours.

I'll just reserve my judgment for now

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
My guess is Nintendo are looking for some publicity before their console release later this year...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan_Orin
A simple google search shows that this story is in a ton of trendy science magazines--this in itself kinda validates the authenticity.

As to the change in the video, they even said that it was two different videos cut together because they damaged one of the wings in the first shot and had to repair it.

The entire process of this machine's creation is documented throughout the videos and in documents on the guy's site. It all explains how the machine was built. The science is sound. Obviously he would not be able to flap the wings if he were relying on the strength of his own muscles. His movement is mimicked through the use of two smartphones, 2 wii controllers and 2 electronic motors that actually do all of the work for him. The fact that he's flapping his arms at all is really just a stylistic choice, as he's exerting no actual force.

It really only takes ten minutes of actual research to find out whether or not this is real. Apparently people find it much more amusing to argue with one another, however...

Then I guess it would be the first time someone pulled a very elaborate hoax

Lol btw I think I starred at your avatar for at least 2 minutes kinda hypnotized because it followed the exact tempo of the song I was listening to....you got the moves dude lol

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by telemetry

There is something else going on there with his legs, and if you take a close eye to it, you can see that in the last video he has some sail (like a web) between his shins/feet that is deployed once he gets in the air.

Anyone else seeing that?

Yah, I have a problem with the running legs and 'hop' too, that's what is most looking like CGI or a crane or something to me.

I've seen several people say his legs are at an angle in-flight which would be very hard to maintain without a sling. But he does appear to have some kind of fabric wing between his legs. It could be that he's used the mechanism from a wingsuit to make them rigid in midair? That is done every day with wingsuits (but at much higher speed).

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's already been debunked as a hoax www.slashgear.com...

Don't believe everything you see.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It is truly sad that this turned out to be untrue.

Of course, like many of you, my first reaction to the likely outcome this is a hoax is a bit of anger and disappointment. But then my wife suggested a perspective I can completely agree with on this issue.

So what, if it's a hoax? The upside is that he has likely inspired tens if not hundreds of people with the best shot of actually pulling this off. Materials and mechanical technology today has never been better. IF it can be done, we are closer now than ever before.

This HOAX may have been just the inspiration needed for some who have the means to focus on the idea and make it a reality.

From that perspective, I'm glad he did it.

Dream BIG. Think BIG. Live BIG.

My inspirational message of the day.

Have a nice day, everyone.
edit on 22-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by CantSay
The CGI is obvious. The wings are to rigid and shinny.

2 things make it fake.

When they run away from the guy in part 13, they put the camera all the way down.

When they run back up to him, the put the camera all the way down.

That's very obviously, and very disappointingly, fake. CGI is obvious and the sound is too clean.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Jarno Smeets, the man behind all of this, is going to be on live TV in about an hour over here in Holland so we might get confirmation of the hoax from the horse's mouth itself

The talk show is called; De Wereld Draait Door LINK
edit on 22/3/2012 by Jeroenske because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeroenske
Jarno Smeets, the man behind all of this, is going to be on live TV in about an hour over here in Holland so we might get confirmation of the hoax from the horse's mouth itself

What did he say?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If he did that every day for 6 months, he'd have a chest like Dolly Parton.
I thought the pcp freakouts I just finished watching on youtube were bad.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis
It's already been debunked as a hoax www.slashgear.com...

Don't believe everything you see.

I don't get it - the article you link to doesn't in any way prove he faked the video. It just says some people couldn't be contacted and some details could not be confirmed.

I'm fine with having this video disproved, but why are people writing and posting articles with headlines like "Mysterious winged “bird man” exposed as a hoax" then not offering any actual evidence?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yampa

What did he say?

The Show Starts in 3 Min.

*EDIT

Haha yup he admitted on live TV it was part social experiment, part HOAX and part film project. Jarno Smeets isn't even his real name. Floris Kaayk is his real name and he is a Dutch filmmaker www.floriskaayk.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by yampa

What did he say?

The Show Starts in 3 Min.

*EDIT

Haha yup he admitted on live TV it was a social experiment, HOAX and Jarno Smeets isn't even his real name. Floris Kaayk is his real name.

Aww. Well done CGI spotters, you have better eyes than me.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yampa

^^ Ditto

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The silence is deafening
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join