It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel bans skinny chicks in advertizing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They may be driving up our price of oil with all of their sabre rattling but, this new law to ban unhealthy looking skinny chicks in advertizing may be a stroke of brilliance on Israel's part.

Models must produce a medical report proving that they are not malnourished according to WHO standards (BMI of 18.5 or less) and ads must disclose whether the image was digitally altered to make the models look slimmer.

‘They Look Like Dead Girls’: New Israeli Law Bans Underweight Models in Ads

A new Israeli law is trying to fight the spread of eating disorders by banning underweight models from local advertising and requiring publications to disclose when they use altered images to make women and men appear thinner.

The law, passed late Monday, appears to be the first attempt by any government to use legislation to take on a fashion industry accused of abetting eating disorders by idealizing extreme thinness. It could become a model for other countries grappling with the spread of anorexia and bulimia, particularly among young women.

“We want to break the illusion that the model we see is real,” said Liad Gil-Har, assistant to law sponsor Dr. Rachel Adato, who compares the battle against eating disorders to the struggle against smoking.

The Blaze

Sure, some may complain about government interfering in the private sector but, I say this is all about truth in advertizing. How many women do you thing really look like the girls in all those fashion ads? Not the women I see walking around my neighborhood.

I also like the fact that they have to prove that they aren't unhealthy in order to model. Forcing the fashion industry to use healthy models who look like real women will help to dispel the illusion that women have to starve themselves or get hooked on coc aine to look beautiful.

I for one look forward to seeing curvey women in advertizing in the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wish that law could be applied everywhere. Without
skinny models to appeal to sexually depraved individuals
industries that exploit woman as just "flesh" will fail and
woman will obtain a more humanitarian look rather than
a doll look. Good on Israel.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
fingers crossed...

and also here's hoping other countries follow suit.... good find thanks for sharing OP

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I can't wait to see real, classic beauty come back into style.

I don't know about you but, being able to count a woman's ribs from 20 feet away is NOT sexy in my book.

edit on 3/20/12 by FortAnthem because:
_____________ extra DIV

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

i totally agree with you !!
i myself am female... and i have been ridiculed for years as i have got curves... but, i do not care what anyone thinks, im happy and proud of my curves, my boyfriend loves them and i do not, like a handful of my friends, strive to be skinny like the models or celebrities.... they all look ridiculously unhealthy when you take away the photoshop, airbrushing and make up....

i for one, would absolutely love to see proper and more realistic and womanly figures in the fashin/modelling/beauty/magazine industries...!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Did they happen to ban fat women in advertising too? You don't want to come of as glorifying obesity or being overweight. Did they set a max BMI too?

Governments. It almost makes one want to become an anarchist.

ETA: If the photo in the story is what they are considering malnourished and "dead" I couldn't disagree more.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Last time I checked, there wasn't any big problem with morbidly obese women in fashion advertizing or any type of advertizing for that matter.

Advertizers want to use what is currently considered "beautiful" by society, nevermind the fact that they decide what we think ought to be "beautiful'. They have been pushing an unrealistic standard on girls and women for years that has been the source of unending eating disorders and psychological problems for girls.

People need to learn to be happy the way they are. Forcing advertizers to stop using plastic surgery godesses with no meat on their bones is one step in the right direction IMO.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
People need to learn to be happy the way they are. Forcing advertizers to stop using plastic surgery godesses with no meat on their bones is one step in the right direction IMO.

The way women are doesn't include colored eye shadow, lipsticks or foundation, but you probably wouldn't have an issue with make-up.

For me, as long as they aren't so big that I can't pick them up or push them off of me, and they are not so thin I cut myself on sharp edges, its all good.

What is beautiful differs from person to person. The women in the article linked, are far from unattractive, nor or they unhealthy. The point of contention with this, from my perspective, is that the government shouldn't be involved in dictating how a business runs itself, or telling people what they should or shouldn't like.

But that is just from a freedom loving American perspective.

top topics

join