It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel Pushes For UN Sanctions on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Today at the United Nations Israel has made clear its desire for UN sanctions on Iran for their unwillingness to abandon its alleged quest for nuclear weapons. According to the following report Israel warned that Iran was developing missiles that could hit Paris, Berlin and London as well as Israel...

ABCNEWS.com

Sept. 22, 2004 � UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Israel urged the United Nations on Wednesday to move toward sanctions against Iran because Tehran is never going to abandon its alleged quest for nuclear weapons.

"We know that the Europeans are trying now to engage with the Iranians. But we know that the Iranians will never abandon their plans to develop nuclear weapons. They are only trying to hide it," Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom told reporters at the United Nations.

He said European nations were waking up to the realization that Iran was developing missiles that could hit Paris, Berlin and London as well as Israel.
Iran says its nuclear program, some of which it concealed for years from the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog, is purely for peaceful purposes.

Tehran defied a resolution by the agency's board on Tuesday by announcing it had begun converting a large amount of raw uranium to prepare it for enrichment, a process that can be used to develop atom bombs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article above also states that Israeli Security sources in Jerusalem said on Tuesday the United States plans to sell Israel 500 "bunker buster" bombs that could be effective against Iran's underground facilities.

Later after the event at the UN the article states that Secretary of State Colin Powell, said that in discussions with Shalom on Tuesday there was no talk of striking Iran but rather of using diplomacy to make Tehran allay international concerns about its nuclear program.

"I'm not aware of any plans to attack Iran," Powell said, though he twice refused to rule out military options. "Every nation has all options available to it."

Are we headed toward a nuclear conflict in the Middle East?

If Israel does at some point feel there is no other option but to strike at Iran to remove the nuclear threat, what impact will it have on U.S. military action in Iraq?

In my view the entire Middle East is a powder keg set to explode into all out war.

We can only hope that in this case diplomacy can solve the growing potential for conflict between Israel and Iran.

Related Links:

Israel asks UN to stop Iran's nukes

Iran continues nuclear programme

Europe warns Iran against nuclear arms

Related ATS Discussions:

Israel to Get 5000 US Smart Bombs, Bunker Busters

US Debates Military Strikes on 'Nuclear Iran'

[edit on 22-9-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The hypocrisy of Israel sickens me. A nation that has many resolutions against it and carries illega nuclearl weapons is trying to stop Iran from arming themselves?

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Israel doesn't want Iran to have nukes?

Pot... Kettle... Black...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Here is a shocking idea, why don't BOTH countries submit to inspections. Ill bet if Isreal allows inspections, Iran will fall overthemselves to comply too.

But its a do as I say, not do as I do situation.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Here is a shocking idea, why don't BOTH countries submit to inspections. Ill bet if Isreal allows inspections, Iran will fall overthemselves to comply too.

But its a do as I say, not do as I do situation.

Yeah, Israel would never allow inspections of Dimona.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

The hypocrisy of Israel * * *

That was my reaction exactly. The gall. The arrogant insult to the intelligence of every thinking person. None-the-less, it won't be long before the US falls into lockstep support of Israel on this request.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The US is putty in the Israeli's hands.

There is more to their power than meets the eye.

Such blatant hypocrisy, and the world stands by decade after decade allowing it to continue, why?

top topics

join