It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need some good philosophy/metaphysics books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Anyone know some free online books that deal with philosophy or metaphysics?

Thanks in advance.
edit on 20-3-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here are some of my favorites..

khazarzar.skeptik.net...

This site should help as well:

www.sacred-texts.com...

Happy seeking!!

PLPL

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Really depends what your are looking for, I am going to mention some authors that do not write specifically about philosophy and metaphysics but who dwell in and create stories around them. They all had very strange lives and much of which is happening today was written about by them.

Philip K. Dick
Robert Anton Wilson
William Gibson

These are all science fiction writers but also had some insight and wrote some non-fiction works as well. You will never see them mentioned with the likes of

Terence Mckenna
Nietzsche
Maybe throw in a little Jung with Laozi, to balance you out...

Good luck with this wide field and narrow views...
edit on 20-3-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am curious to see where this goes though...although next time write a little more. Tell us a story of why you are seeking or perhaps what set you on this path.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I would definitely recommend The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. (You can read it online here).
It always helps me to see things from a refreshing, and most often liberating, perspective. I read it every now and again, and I am really amazed at the wealth of knowledge inside. So yeah, maybe give it a go and see how it speaks to you

Last one I would like to add would be Raja Yoga by Swami Vivekanda. One of the best things I've read.

Both of these works have really inspired me. Give them a try if you can and let me know what you think.
Feel free to U2U me if you want to talk a bit more about them

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Greetings,

I have been following the "metaphysical" path for over fifty years and I am still drawn to the writings of those who speak of their way of interrupting their knowledge and experiences.

Of all the books I've read thru the years, and believe me , there have been many, I would suggest the following two.

The Science of Mind (SOM) by Ernest Holmes newthoughtlibrary.com...

A Course In Miracles (CIM) courseinmiracles.com...

The SOM introduces you to looking at yourself in a more expanded manner. It establishes the relationship between the Creator and yourself. This was my introduction to metaphysics. It is considered a classic.

The CIM is advanced, but will be more easily understood if the SOM is studied first. Prophets have said that, in time, the CIM will be more studied than the Bible and eventually replace it. Don't expect to see this in our life time.
Have studied and taught the CIM I can see that happening. It is a life changer. It is not to be just read, it takes about a year to read and absorb it. Maybe I should say, start absorbing and understanding. The CIM is an "experience".

If you can find groups in your area in which you can engage that would be of great benefit, especially the CIM.

From the CIM. Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Therein lies the peace of God.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Perhaps try Project Gutenberg?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Hi there,
Although it is a "religious" topic, The Tibetan Book of the Dead deals heavily with philosophy, and the Tibetan Buddhists are way into the metaphysical stuff.
It is available online at numerous places...here's a link:
reluctant-messenger.com...

reluctant messenger has TONS of stuff on it related to philosophy.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It's not free but you can get it at the library. "The Wisdom of Insecurity" by Allan Watts. This is a great book looking to sort of look at the philosophical metaphysical from a great perspective. I recommend this book for everyone interested in the area of spiritual exploration.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ThoughtIsMadness

Yes

Alan Watts is a fabulous source for Eastern studies.

Also, here's another online book that was in my curriculum in Western Civ, or philosophy maybe?
William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature
He was a psychologist, and this is a classic as a reference for the idea of religion and psychology, as well as philosophy.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
also, trooth, here's a link for a thread from a few months ago in that forum that gives lots of people's recommendations:
What Are You Studying? Recent, Current & Future Reading Lists / Paths of Research...
Some superb recommendations on there, though not all of them will be online.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
occult-underground.com has 450 ebooks.
google codex gigas old testament to see it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Thanks everyone... I really appreciate it.

new topics

top topics

join