It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing 3D Printer in Action-makes a wrench: (truly the future will change fast)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

reply to post by Violater1

I cannot express in words how exciting that is! Like Violator1 said, if we could only mass produce things for space travel, that would be fantastic! Sure there would be kinks to work out in the powder and resin replacement process, but logistics could definitely be worked out. And, with more development this could very well be the next best way to build homes and vehicles of all types!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I bet the Chinese are drooling. Think of what this could do for mass production.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
S&F
Coolest thing I've ever seen.
Ok not the coolest but damn close.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by the secret web

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Unfortunately, corporations will probably try to horde the rights to create things, and anti-piracy sentiment will hold this technology back. Eventually the profiteering pukes will have to learn the facts of life.

3D Printing machines have been avaiable to buy for an age now, of varying quality and price. The best and most useful ones cost far bigger bucks as you'd expect. I've had stuff of mine 3d printed on a number of occasions and a few with lost of moving parts for client's future toy figure lines.(I have a couple of my 3d model printed out and sitting on my desk in frontof me now in fact.) They can do some amazing things but also have some nasty limatations at the moment.

Wayne...

True story. We used a machine exactly like the one in the video when i was in my high school technical drafting class in 2001. It had the print heads that printed binder into lowering basin of powder, one cross section at a time. Then when printing was done, we had to wait for the binder to set then we could dig out our printed object. Most likely they have advanced the materials a bit. When we were doing this, we had to be really careful because the objects we printed were fragile.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
holy wowsers batman, very impressive is an understatement.
Nice find op

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY
There are multiple threads on this subject each either have/had the same video posted or referenced the wrench.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why members keep posting?
Why mods are not closing this thread?
What's this mess?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Many models like this are actually already available for download on "certain" sites... You can actually download a screwdriver or a wrench RIGHT NOW.

These printers are currently able to print using a PVC type plastic and also steel. The cost of the raw material is pretty expensive right now though, so even though you are downloading a screwdriver, you are still paying heavily for it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samsquanch
Meh, until I can go up to one and order tea, Earl Grey, hot, I won't be impressed.

Who is Earl Grey anyways?
I think it may be a while before these 3D printers will be able to sculpt out
living breathing (hot) men!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The only issue I have with that video, is the wrench they scanned didn't have a belt-loop on the bottom of the handle. Yet the one they pulled out of the machine did. I know the printers do what they say, but I think the scanning aspect maybe be further behind developmentally. My guess is they used their own model of a wrench, and the scanning part was just for show.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatAreThey

I don't know if you were joking or not... but I hope you were. You would be spending far more on one of these machines than any of the materials. How cheap do you think they are?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I wonder if this material is an insulator, and heat resistant? Then it could stop on cross sections, and pour in liquid copper, that would fill in trenches(wires)... Would make it really easy for do it yourself circuit boards for special projects.

or something... I don't know.

I was thinking about a mother cube (like a motherboard, but one more dimension) but I think there would be massive heat issues...

edit on 3/20/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by Saidin
The only issue I have with that video, is the wrench they scanned didn't have a belt-loop on the bottom of the handle. Yet the one they pulled out of the machine did. I know the printers do what they say, but I think the scanning aspect maybe be further behind developmentally. My guess is they used their own model of a wrench, and the scanning part was just for show.

yes I noticed something like that too. Didn't he say it was accurate to hair width? How come the wrench didn't have the little grooves on the gear piece. Like on a lighter how it's rough? The wrench that came out had smooth parts only..
edit on 3/20/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saidin...their own model of a wrench... scanning part was just for show.

Yup. Most of those 3D printers use CAD models, if not all of them. The technology for scanners like that is slowly growing, but it's nowhere near the point where it can actually scan and replicate real objects.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunaire
I bet the Chinese are drooling. Think of what this could do for mass production.

I don't think you mean "the Chinese", you mean the Chinese Government and corporate bodies. Well, I don't think they would be drooling if you think about it, they would be weeping, because the main reason they have assumed domination in mass production is because they have pimped out their own people as a virtual slave labor force for Western Corporations.

This type of manufacturing is not (or would be) labor-intensive, so manufacturing of many products could return back to the West.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yep there have been several threads on this but its always good to get the message out there as much as possible. This will decentralize manufacturing and make it so communities can be more self sufficient. Need a part or a tool print it out. Need something bigger like a vacuum or even a car go to the library and print it out on the big 3d/cnc printer.

Yes the big corps will try and hold this back as long as they can as it will eventually put them out of business if they do not change their business model.

Good stuff!

edit on 20-3-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
reply to post by MainLineThis

earn the facts of life

FACT of live nr 1: Dont even bother read what you ever write.
edit on 20-3-2012 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

Ooopsy daisy! I guess you mean:

Fact of life No. 1: Don't even bother to read what you (ever) write!
This is more an instruction than a fact. I see that you have even edited your post!

Anyway, there is only one instruction in life worth heading. That is:
'Never Nudge Your Granny While She Is Shaving!'.

On Topic: Fantastic technology. Imagine what is hidden!
I am still back in the 90's with my 1D printer, It will probably be a while before I can
afford a 2D equivalent, and by the time I look at purchasing a 3D version, they will
probably have moved on to a 7D printer, or something.

I am forever destined to be behind the times (and dimensions), I guess.
Bollocks!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Awesome find mate, S+F for sure! I knew about 3d-printers for awhile, but never realised they have come this far already!

This is way beyond cool! I gotta get my own asap!

Imagine being able to download the parts to your broken car as already scanned images from BMW, VOLVO, TOYOTAs websites and just print them, along with the instruction how to replace it yourself.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Why members keep posting?
Why mods are not closing this thread?
What's this mess?

Because its more content on the ATS site.
Its more activity, more views of advertisements.

There is no penalty for creating duplicate threads.

Try it yourself. Go create a new thread, citing this exact same youtube video with "OMG go look at this amazing video!!"
You wont be banned, warned or penalised in any way at all.

Conversely, anyone who tells you another thread already exists *will* be in danger of being banned.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
What amazes me is how it copied the working parts of the wrench and then made it work the same. How powerful is that scanner? Does it X-ray the part?

This is actualy a normal handheld 3d laser scanner.
X-ray scanners are build in protective anti radiation cages.

3d scanners are used in many branches for a long time now, from film industry to the production/inspection in the automobile sector to even archeology.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
So this is how we are going to start the mars colonization process. Looks good. Make everything there.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72
[more

I love these units, but they are state of the art 1996. Why is it that we wait until the designers retire or die to fall in love with their technology. Currently the methodology for most of these "printers", makes them very inefficient for high stress components, but few can argue the potential of unit architecture. I have seen reconstructive inner ear bones assembled thanks to these printers, and many imported MRI's ofcourse. Too bad they have been primarily relegated for over a decade or so to making the souls for expensive shoes and architech's models. It is much like carbon carbon, a phenominal process, or should I say, a potentially phenomenal process, that ceased to evolve and is now wasted on aircraft brake assemblies.

I remember reading about an engineer from Finland or somewhere in Scandanavia who was drafting plans for a full scale five axis steel ribbon assembler that would/could "print" an ocean vessle. Seemed a wee bit on the overkill side of the spectrum, but you can see how powerful this technology can be.

AX
FTNWO

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join