It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% of Americans Say They are Not Better Off Now Than 4 Years Ago

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137
I'm better off than I was 4 years ago.

Way, way better...

I have a good job that pays more than the national average...sure, I should have a better job for my level of education, but it pays the bills.
I have my own apartment.
I have my wife.
I have a 3.5 month old, lovely, baby daughter.
I have a few thousand dollars in savings and very little debt...not to mention a great credit rating.

Not to brag.

Sounds great man! Watch those credit cards. My wife is great with our finances. When we get a credit card bill, we pay it off. Don't use them if you don't have the money to pay them off quickly. They will get you in trouble.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am no where near better off than I was 4 years ago. Four years ago, I had an apartment with three other people, was going to college, had hope for life, lots of hobbies and friends.

Now that I graduated college, I can't find work, except for a few odd jobs that, when they are available, earn me about $150 a month. I have to live with my parents. My friends are living with relatives or friends, also unable to find work. One of them just got his paycheck for two weeks - $30.00 from Pizza Hut. One of them just lost his glasses, and can't afford another pair. These are people I went to a private college with.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Now that I graduated college, I can't find work, except for a few odd jobs that, when they are available, earn me about $150 a month. I have to live with my parents. My friends are living with relatives or friends, also unable to find work. One of them just got his paycheck for two weeks - $30.00 from Pizza Hut. One of them just lost his glasses, and can't afford another pair. These are people I went to a private college with.
Don't give up, something will come along. Keep putting yourself out there.

When you were living with your friends, did you have a good job then?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by madhatr137

Way, way better...

I have a good job that pays more than the national average...sure, I should have a better job for my level of education, but it pays the bills.
I have my own apartment.
I have my wife.
I have a 3.5 month old, lovely, baby daughter.
I have a few thousand dollars in savings and very little debt...not to mention a great credit rating.

Not to brag.

Sounds great man! Watch those credit cards. My wife is great with our finances. When we get a credit card bill, we pay it off. Don't use them if you don't have the money to pay them off quickly. They will get you in trouble.

Exactly. For years I refused to even GET a credit card, not wanting to fall into the credit trap...finally, I broke down and said "okay, we should probably have one...just in case."

I do the finances...and I do the same.

So many people live off credit cards...it's scary.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The Republicans will turn a blind eye to it, just like they did with Bush Jr. It drives me nuts.
reply to post by Hydroman

It drives me nuts too. I don't care for either party because neither one has the average Americans best interest at heart. Most of them are in it for the power, prestige, benefits and making a career out feeling their pockets with taxpayers hard earned money.

It's really sheepish when people who are affiliated with a particular party can't call out their own incompetent or failing presidents.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
It drives me nuts too. I don't care for either party because neither one has the average Americans best interest at heart. Most of them are in it for the power, prestige, benefits and making a career out feeling their pockets with taxpayers hard earned money.

It's really sheepish when people who are affiliated with a particular party can't call out their own incompetent or failing presidents.
So, what can we do about this mess?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
On behalf of all Canadians, We feel for you boys, It's suprising to see the most inivative nation in the world struggle to get any real meaningful legistration to help the people passed. Maybe a multi party system would help. We've had four national parties for a while. It seems to spure bi- partisinship forward. Just a though but how about something new like a green Conservative party, and maybe even a Liberal party.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

So, what can we do about this mess?
reply to post by Hydroman

Your guess is as good as mine. Until people open their eyes and stop being suckered into party affiliations and fear mongering, people will continue to think their party is the holy grail.

I really think the American public missed the boat on this for not supporting Ron Paul. I never liked the idea he was running under the republican party, but he's the only candidate that could possibly reverse this ridiculous corrupt system we have. I don't like everything Ron Paul believes in, but I always felt the main issue of closing our bases over seas, and stopping the occupations would free-up trillions of dollars for Americans here at home. I also think he has always stuck to his beliefs and would eliminate political lobbying and corporate influence on congress. I also agree with his ideas of eliminating some of the federal departments like education and letting local municipalities control education spending.

Just these (3) issues alone would drastically change our government system for the better. I hear people complaining about this all the time, so why wouldn't they support this guy? His age? Who cares if he has a vice president that agrees with his ideas.

I don't know, I've lost faith with the voting public. When people vote for personality over issues and competency, or on only one particular issue, we unfortunately get what we deserve.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CriticalCK
Wouldnt a real income / time chart more suitable than a questionary?

Thats what I was thinking? It doesn't matter if you feel better off than four years ago. In fact most people will look back in their past an proclaim those to be better days. Nostalgia and all that.

Am I better off than I was four years ago? Well I'm out of highschool and working at the games industry right now so I would say yes. Do I think the nation is better off than it was four years ago? Well that question is a little harder to answer.

I think the right question should be, well another 4 years of Obama's policies make us better off in four years? And I don't want speculation or feelings on the matter I want hard data. Of course you can't always get hard data on policies either. Some people might like what Obama's doing and ect ect.

Anyways my answer is that this is a complex web of issues, questions, information, morality, judgment, and personal belief. Something that can't be summed up in a simply question.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

It doesn't matter if we feel or think we are better off than 4 years ago, but if we actually are.

And here is the simple truth to that.

4 years ago we were spiralling into a huge recession that could have become a global depression.
We have been recovering, slowly but steadily, since the winter of 2009.

4 years ago, the Leading Economic Indexes were negative and our economy was contracting.
Now, the Leading Economic Indexes are mostly positive and the economy is making modest gains.

4 years ago, the Stock Market was tumbling.
Last week, the S&P 500, Dow and NASDAQ hit record highs.

4 years ago, the unemployment rate was skyrocketing.
Now, it is steadily decreasing by .1-.2% a month, has been doing so, for the most part, since the winter of 2009.

So, are things better than they were 4 years ago? Yes.
Do we think or feel things are better than they were 4 years ago? No.

Why?
Because it is the job of those OUT of power to tell us things are bad so they can get into power and "fix" it and it's the job of those IN power to tell us they are fixing it...and we are assaulted with pundits telling us how bad everything is, from all sides, telling us how the other is responsible for everything bad in the world.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
The 80% were the people that lost wealth. The 20% were the people that absorbed what the 80% lost.

That doesn't sound right at all. If 80% of people are not better off ... that doesn't mean that 20% are better off because of the loss that the 80% have suffered. This isn't communist 'wealth redistribution' that we are talking about .. it's a slip in the standard of living for %80 of Americans ... a large number across many different economic brackets.

Don't forget ... wealth can be lost without anyone 'finding' it.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by FlyersFan

Remember, people make choices that determine where their next station in life will be, etc.

Nothing something you can blame on a President.

Very well said.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

are americans better off than they were 12 years ago? 50 years ago? while this poll is very interesting, it is obviously biased. i would like a controlled poll experiment that compares american's quality of life from different points in time than just 4 years ago when obama was elected. i'm fairly certain america's quality of life has been going down hill for quite a while longer than 4 years ago. what we're experiencing now is in my opinion a snowball effect.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
We should stop getting hung up on the past and look to the future.

Forget about 4 years ago and think 4 years ahead.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's wealth redistribution, but no one wants to see it due to the American bias towards business. Americans seem to judge their economy based only on increases in corporate profit and the stock market etc. Instead, why are we not complaining about wages? Why don't we judge our economy on the distribution of wealth, and the minimum wage? Why aren't we taxing huge corporations? Why are we letting the financial industry steal our wealth? THAT is wealth redistribution!

People seem to think that any policy that helps the population is an agenda against business. Heaven forbid! Perhaps, it is time for a new point of view and not one implanted by Fox news or CNN, etc. When you look at the record profits of all these giant, democracy controlling, corporations and compare them to the wages of the lowliest position, there is clearly something wrong. Do Americans think that business has the right to gain as much profit as possible even at the cost of society? It seems the right-wing media has convinced people that any populist, or pro-worker, ideas or legislation is just wealth redistribution, welfare, hand-outs, etc. Well, why not look at the wealth distribution in this country. Does wealth or money directly equal power? Should corporations, or individuals even, be allowed to gain unlimited amounts of wealth? When people obtain such obscene profits and wealth as in the U.S., they will use their power to subvert our government and especially our democracy. I am tired of people thinking that it is just fine and dandy that the wealth in this country is so unequally distributed and that corporations can do as they please, with record profits and record low wages. Clearly someone is getting ripped off and it isn't business! Until we unite based on "populist" ideals, we will never be able to run for office and take back this country from the corporations and financial terrorists that have bought our democracy.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

STOP MAKING SENSE!

Too many people will gloss over your words because

A. They are threatened by your intelligence
B. They are threatened by the truth.

Most people are so beaten into submission on the issue of labor that suggesting an union to them will only cause them to regurgitate everything that Uncle Rupert and Uncle Grover taught them about unions, workers rights and capitalism.

Time to fight back, people.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join