It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% of Americans Say They are Not Better Off Now Than 4 Years Ago

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

So you are saying that we should move advancements in standards of living backwards for 300 million people because there are those in the rest of the world who do not meet that standard?

Don't get me wrong, I get the fact that the people of the US and many 1st world countries live well above comfortably, even on the decline in the past four years, even for people who are known as "poverty stricken" in this country, but that does not justify sacrificing our standard of living for the sake of others. It is the hard word and determination of former generations as well as the technological advancements of a few great minds that were able to give us what we have.

The fact is, imagine if the entire US labor force made $40k a year. That is 238 million people, and approximately $9,520,000,000,000. US GDP is about 15.1 trillion dollars. Total spending is supposedly. 6.5 trillion. Make some cuts to government spending. With that figure every single working age American should be able to live beyond comfortably, and if they feel bad about other people in other countries living below their means, would have more than enough to donate to them as well.

Too bad, that for a select handful to live like kings, the middle and lower class are supposed to abandon their already considerably low standard of living, and then yet we are the ones who are to worry about those other people in other countries who still have nothing.

I do worry about them. But until I have the capabilities to afford a plane ticket, go over there and donate my time and money to helping them, since our "non profit organization" are all about lining their pockets, then right now the only thing I can worry about is me and my own - that is, the American people and those of us suffering here at home while the upper echelon of society eat caviar and sail their yachts around the world, flying around in their private jets, feeding us the news how they want it to be fed, and all the while, paying people to influence the politicians so that not only do we have to sacrifice our lifestyles and our comforts, but we have to sacrifice our pitiful illusions of freedom that we THOUGHT that we still had, our belief that the politicians we vote in actually listen to us, or hell, that our votes even matter to begin with.

Once I am able to drive to my office and feed my family without worrying, then I will be sure to send my time and money to other countries, but as for right now, I have no pity available for them. That should be coming from the people who have the money and the capabilities to make a difference at the time. The ones who are still "living the life".

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

4 years ago people were not struggling for ends meet? are you kidding me? Where the hell were you?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

gas prices were certainly not lower. I recall them peaking at a still current all time high in the summer of 2008.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well UH DUH!!! YA THINK???? LOL, But I have to agree. Finally found some work, in a plant that boxes tomatoes as a grader for minimum wage.... for those of you who say Americans won't do certain jobs and feel entitled. I also have to do this being abandoned by my children's father who supported us because he was working, with three kids and with no home, having the electric shut off and having almost a nervous breakdown that interfered with me finishing two courses in school which I now have to repeat. I decided to go full on republican and may kill myself if Obama wins the election cause I just can't bear another 4 years of this crap. By all accounts and everyone's advice, I am eligable for the state/federal help, but I REFUSE to take it....I want the programs ended I want work not handouts and I think that the only excuse not to work is being severely disabled. I been through hell, I can do something I don't ever want to hear someone else tell me they can't and they need to live off the money I made breaking my ass barely helping me support my children! I am so fed up. I swear, I have reached my breaking point with these handouts.

You're working minimum wage jobs and going "full on Republican"? Have yoU SEEN what GOP is doing to the working poor? Apparently not.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loneranger26

Well they were certainly lower around my parts. Here in the rural northeast we have not yet ever reached the dreaded 4.00 / gallon mark, but right now we are pushing awfully close, some towns within 10 cents. Even at the peak of the Bush years gas around here only reached at most 3.35 / gallon.

Yeah, I know, poor us as Florida and California suffer through massive gouges, but in an area where there are barely jobs above national minimum wage, 4.00 a gallon is enough to quit driving altogether.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm better off then I was 4 years ago.

However, I can't think of a presidential candidate that I'd want to be President.

I'm not impressed with Obama but I'm not impressed with any of the Repubs either.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

No sir, just simply stating that no matter how bad you think you got it, people in other countries would love to have your problems. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
4 years ago I made $52,000.

My job was outsourced to India 1-1/2 years ago.

After 16 years with the same company, rising up in the ranks and 16 "exceeds expectations".

And a 98% accuracy rate.

At 57 the odds of me finding a good job with my expertise are almost zero and I'm no longer eager to work under a boss that for the last ten years was abusive and a bully.

I still nightmare about working under her.

My doctor says it's PTSS.

Those folks over in India can have my job.

We're not better off financially but we're happier.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
Well they were certainly lower around my parts. Here in the rural northeast we have not yet ever reached the dreaded 4.00 / gallon mark, but right now we are pushing awfully close, some towns within 10 cents. Even at the peak of the Bush years gas around here only reached at most 3.35 / gallon.

Yeah, I know, poor us as Florida and California suffer through massive gouges, but in an area where there are barely jobs above national minimum wage, 4.00 a gallon is enough to quit driving altogether.
I know you don't like me to bring up other countries, but anyway....I lived in Spain 18 years ago. The price of fuel per gallon back then was around 10 U.S. dollars. We still have it made, lol. Sorry for being optimistic.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

You are not alone in that story I am sure. Many find that making a bit more money is not worth your sanity or the stress. I know people that come from certain 3rd world countries into NYC thinking about making money in the streets made of gold (old myth). Once here, they realize that "selling your soul" for 10-12 an hour jobs (if lucky) to be able to experience 1st world existence is simply not worth it. Some go back to their 20 dollars a day and inconsistent electricity countries where community, respect for nature and familiar culture is practiced and respected.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Retirement isn't an option for you?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
I am better off than 4 years ago. Much better at that...

What were you doing 4 years ago?
Do you/did you have children at home?
Are you married or not?
How exactly is your life better?
Were you in school? Or out in the real working world?

I'm just curious.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

I'm classified now as "retired" but I'm only (just turned 59).

My husband is 67 with a aorta valve replacement (5 years ago) and has a job that pays well but he is 67 and now looking at working until he drops dead.

Our doctor says it is very clear that I suffer from Post Trauma Stress Syndrome having worked under a tyrannical boss for ten of my 16 years with the same company.

I don't get very much monthly for my "retirement" but I'm happy.

Been working since orphaned at 9 so I'm ready to simply clean house, make meals, laundry, shop, take care of our rescued dog and keep track of our bills.

As stated before, I still nightmare about my previous boss, she would make the Red Queen in Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" look like Mother Theresa.

The people I worked with were on a personal level probably nice people, but the office we worked in was micromanaged to the point of being ridiculous and the way management managed was to pit everyone against each other, the more you watched and snitched on another the higher up you rose.

Now almost all of my department is gone, even my boss.

It took "Team India" a year to learn my clients because I had some of the hardest and biggest accounts.

Even with a lot less money, I'm a lot happier and my husband says he is happier because I'm back to being the girl he fell in love with 39 years ago.
edit on 20-3-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter
What were you doing 4 years ago?
Do you/did you have children at home?
Are you married or not?
How exactly is your life better?
Were you in school? Or out in the real working world?

I'm just curious.
Thanks for asking. Yes I am married and have four children. Four years ago I was living in a 1300 sq. foot house with my four children and wife. I now live in a brand new 3000 sq. foot house that we built. I still have the same job, but have gotten raises so now my pay is a few dollars higher per hour than it was four years ago. My wife went from making 8000/yr to 24000/yr, so that makes things better as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
Even with a lot less money, I'm a lot happier and my husband says he is happier because I'm back to being the girl he fell in love with 39 years ago.
I'm glad things seem to have worked out for you guys in the end. It's sad though that your husband doesn't want to retire and enjoy life while he can. But, I understand why he doesn't as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
ya, blame the black guy, that's what chris rock would say.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

It's a fallacy that any president can change the economy. The economy is controlled by corporations, private banks and the Federal Reserve bank and the Federal Reserve has been around well before Obama.

I'm better off than I was 4 years ago, so do relate that to Bush's policies?
There's too much party bias when it comes to the economy. If there was a republican in office in the place of Obama, they would be touting the same economy coming back line.

Instead of backing these same political ideas that back the Federal Reserve, maybe instead people should use their vote to change the political spectrum of this country. Republicans and democrats want war with Iran. Do you really think that additional spending is going to help the economy? Every republican candidate except for Paul are drooling at the mouth to bomb Iran.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Where was i when they did this poll?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I'm better off than I was 4 years ago, so do relate that to Bush's policies?
There's too much party bias when it comes to the economy. If there was a republican in office in the place of Obama, they would be touting the same economy coming back line.
This is true. I promise you that if a Republican gets elected this coming election year, the opposing party will have a hay day with him. There will be so many complaints and accusations of how this country is worse off now than before etc. etc. The Republicans will turn a blind eye to it, just like they did with Bush Jr. It drives me nuts.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Hey FlyersFan... no offense meant to you and a good post... F n S for you... but "DUH"

Just as is often seen, Washington is the center for disinformation and our country UNFORTUNATELY is flopping about like a fish out of water.

Washington pumps propoganda like the sewage plant it is.... phewwwwwwwww...

Exteme poverty is at record levels: theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

According to Gallup Poll, 1 in 5 Americans say they cannot always afford to feed everyone in the family; www.huffingtonpost.com...

Acccording to the FCHP, 1 in 4 American households spends more than 50% of its gross income on housing alone.
realestate.msn.com...

Do a bit of research in your town, and then on the net, then call family and friends around the country, and blog and Facebook and others, like I did and you'll easy find that what few jobs that have 'added' to the job base are anemic in comparison to the actual cost of living today and does not come even close to replacing the number or value of jobs lost, and or enabling a family to live.

The numbers of job lost vs gained are propogandized by each party, but it appears there were more than 2 million manufacturing jobs (does not include millions in the construction business) lost and to date best estimates maybe 300k (or less than 15%) created as of February 2012.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Everyone can argue about source of information until they are blue in the face, but America is in the toilet, and it IS NOT IMPROVING quickly enough to recover until maybe 2025.

So... again, good post... and F n S for you

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join