It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vetting: Bell's Critical Race Theory Promoted in Public Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The Vetting: Bell's Critical Race Theory Promoted in Public Schools

A radical organization known as the Pacific Educational Group (PEG) is actively promoting Derrick Bell’s Critical Race Theory in public elementary and high schools nationwide, with an intense focus on what PEG calls “Systemic Racism.”

The latest Breitbart "vetting" is saying that the Obama Administration is supporting this "program".
The author says the "goal" is to close achievement gaps between black and white students,
and promotes teachings to discourage conforming to "white" curriculum.

The article seems a little thin on the idea that Obama is in favor, but .......
(A PEG promotional video seems to)

PEG seems to be endorsing and using Derrik Bell's "Critical Race Theory".

It looks likes the "program" has been active for several years.

by Kyle Olson -- March 19, 2012 -- Breitbart

With the approval of the Obama administration, and under the guise of closing achievement gaps between black and white students, PEG is promoting teaching methods that discourage “black and brown” students from conforming to an inherently “white” -- and therefore racist -- curriculum.

PEG also encourages teachers to conform to the presumed cultural backgrounds of students, rather than focusing on norms of assessment and accountability.

Breitbart.com was alerted to the activity of PEG within schools by readers who responded to our reporting on President Barack Obama’s endorsement of Bell, and his use of Critical Race Theory in his lectures at the University of Chicago.

Subsequent investigation led to the revelation that Critical Race Theory is being introduced nationwide through the efforts of PEG.

The entire article is informative
The Breitbart Article

Glenn Singleton, the founder of PEG, explained in an undated interview with WMEZ of Macon, GA that the organization uses Critical Race Theory as a foundation to encourage teachers, students, and school systems as a whole to talk about race:

More formally, we engage in what is called systemic transformation, which is operating from a framework of whole system change that works with everyone in the system from the board of education to beginning teachers...

Critical Race Theory...helps the educator now be able to understand how race influences our day-to-day experiences and the historical implications of race...

(video from Nov 2009)

A promotional video for PEG explains that the organization targets “white culture” as the source of the problems that minority students face:

(youtube caption)

Uploaded by NEdRseries on Oct 1, 2009

Pacific Educational Group:

Black (African American) and Brown (Latino) students continue to underperform on standardized testing and reporting nationally. A growing percentage are failing to graduate from high school and are thus underrepresented in institutions of higher learning.

Pacific Educational Group purports that this crisis can only be solved by courageously investigating the devastating impact of systemic racism and the cumulative effect of a century of racial injustices on our nation's Black and Brown children. So, when President Obama, in his February 24, 2009 address to the nation, stated that "...a good education is no longer just a pathway to opportunity --it is a prerequisite," we were emboldened in our commitment to help educators realize the full potential and right of each and every student to learn.

Educators must be given the tools that help them examine and address the role that race plays in the education of, or failure to educate and engage, Black and Brown students. That has been and continues to be PEG's focus: to provide the language, skills and support to keep racial equity at the forefront of our nation's educational reform.

Yet PEG has triggered local opposition, and occasional alarm. As long ago as 2007, organizations such as the Competitive Enterprise Institute have dismissed Singleton, saying he has “become a rich man by preaching racism, hate, and scapegoating” (original links):

Previously, Singleton embarrassed the Seattle Schools. In 2002, they hired him to indoctrinate their students and staff about racism. As a result, they redefined racism consistent with Singleton’s extreme and radical beliefs. The Seattle Schools defined “individualism” as a form of “cultural racism,” said that only whites can be racist and claimed that planning ahead (“future time orientation”) is a white characteristic that it is racist to expect minorities to exhibit.

Regardless of widespread criticism and a controversial history, Singleton’s PEG continues to expand into new public schools, soaking up more tax dollars.

Good, Bad, Indifferent ??

edit on Mar-20-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

edit on Mar-20-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The fact that a black man was elected to the office of President of the United States proves that institutional racism is DEAD. The only overt racism these days is coming from the African-American community (and Skinheads, but really, who pays them any attention?). Men like Sharpton, Farrakhan, Wright, and Bell have had a tremendous influence on the thinking of the Poser-in-Chief.

Personally, I find it ironic that the very people who once suffered the most from the disgusting practice of racism are the ones now championing the cause.
edit on 3/20/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's a bit hard to form an opinion when they don't give any examples of what "institutional racism" is. I would venture a guess that often older educational materials might present Dick and Jane characters to the exclusion of minorities. Another possibility regarding history would be to focus on white people in historical roles but again these are only guesses.

Any program that cannot mention one example of what they supposedly working against is probably not a good thing. I call that a hidden agenda.

Schools cannot close a gap that exists because of what parents may or may not do. Families that value learning will do more to encourage and help their child to succeed. No amount of tweaking the curriculum will change that.

I am not familiar with Bell's critical race theory. Does PEG openly state that they are using this in some fashion?
edit on 20-3-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
The fact that a black man was elected to the office of President of the United States proves that institutional racism is DEAD.

This is utterly garbage and faulty logic. I would hope that you do not have children sir, because it would be a shame to think that this is the extent of their critical thinking skills.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am not familiar with Bell's critical race theory. Does PEG openly state that they are using this in some fashion?

It seems they do endorse Bell's theories.

Glenn Singleton, the founder of PEG, explained in an undated interview with WMEZ of Macon, GA that the organization uses Critical Race Theory as a foundation to encourage teachers, students, and school systems as a whole to talk about race:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Children are not born as racists. In fact, left to make decisions on their own, without outside influence, young children will make decisions based upon the factors that they should be basing decisions upon, namely how situations affect them. Ask a 2-year old to distinguish between 10 different people, of various races, colors and creeds, and they will almost always choose based upon their observance of factors other than those divisions. Once a school, or group, or parent decide to "push" certain ideas or THEORIES, then they bias that child one way or the other.
Look at the 2008 election. Yes, it was a milestone for a half-black, half-white person to be elected. However, the emphasis upon race in that election, especially by the main-stream media, not only biased the election, but also minimized the real issues that affect the country, and in fact, INCREASED tension and division among its citizens.
The entire human race needs to LEARN from the innocence of CHILDREN, and use it as a guideline, NOT the other way around.
Peace.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave

The fact that a black man was elected to the office of President of the United States proves that institutional racism is DEAD.

This is utterly garbage and faulty logic. I would hope that you do not have children sir, because it would be a shame to think that this is the extent of their critical thinking skills.

How is the logic faulty?

And I would suggest that you leave my children out of any future posts.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Indifferent.

The issues of multiculturalism are not easy and will not be solved overnight. I expect there will be many different ways tried to reconcile difference, some better and more appropriate than others for various situations. It is good that something is at least being tried, but it is a long and hard road that will take many generations to understand, accept and reduce racial discrimination.

As the population continues to grow and differences are present, competition will remain.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
After reading this new story, I went back and read a little deeper into Derrick Bell and found this from 1993

In his 1992 book Faces at the Bottom of the Well, Derrick Bell posited a provocative thesis:

Black people will never gain full equality in this country. Even those Herculean efforts we hail as successful will produce no more than temporary `peaks of progress, short-lived victories that slide into irrelevance as racial patterns adapt in ways that maintain white dominance. This is a hard-to-accept fact that all history verifies. We must acknowledge it, not as a sign of submission, but as an act of ultimate defiance.

He believed that racism is permanent as indicated by what we have seen in video in the OP.

Similarly, the permanence of racism thesis criticizes the idea that most White people in America will grant Black people, equal rights. In fact, according to Be African Americans advanced socially, politically and economically when the particular principle appealed to White Americans' self-interest. This means that people of color cannot rely on the majority of White people for a shared commonality of all human beings for equal treatment.

This is the course being established by this obtuse mentality. Nothing will ever change or satisfy. It will always be a never ending fight. (Sharpton and Jackson are glaring examples of this is this the promotion of Critical Race theory in the Schools.

Hence, the permanence of racism theory means that this work will never end, only the battle fronts and tactics change.

The tactics have certainly evolved
www.prrac.org...:%20Is%20Racism%20Permanent?

Note: in the video contained in the OP did anyone notice the picture of Che hanging in an actual classroom?? Wow!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

How is the logic faulty?

And I would suggest that you leave my children out of any future posts.

Why? I was just saying that I feel sorry for them if your laughably bad critical thinking skills have been passed down to them.

And sir, saying that institutional racism is dead because the president of the united states is a bi racial individual is not exactly concrete proof of anything. Your logic is garbage.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And sir, saying that institutional racism is dead because the president of the united states is a bi racial individual is not exactly concrete proof of anything. Your logic is garbage.

I didn't ask you to say it again. I asked you to explain why. What institutional racism is preventing any black American (or any American for that matter) from "Being all they can be?"

Case in point: Colin Powell, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Used to be that black people in the military were limited to being cooks, or "in the rear with the gear." A black man was the senior-most officer in the U.S. military - which used to be the ultimate Good Ol' Boy's Club - TWENTY YEARS AGO. When I was in boot camp some thirty-odd years ago, it was drilled into our heads that there are no "black," or "white" Marines; only GREEN Marines. Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics ALL got along, our very lives in the hands of our comrades-in-arms. You don't put your life into the hands of someone you despise because of their color.

A black woman has been the National Security Advisor and Secretary of State, and there are many examples of black legislators and Senators as well. One of the first was Joseph Rainey from the Great State of South Carolina. Rainey was a former slave.

So your argument about "institutional racism" still being part of the modern landscape fails, epically.

As far as the racism in the hearts of a few sick people goes, well that is ending as well. When I lived in North Carolina 20 years ago, the Grand Dragon of the KKK led a march down Main Street of the town where I lived. He got to the town square, followed by his inbred minions, and railed against the black man for about 20 minutes - before he realized that the only people paying him any mind were the bigots he brought with him. And that was, as I said, 20 years ago.

People have by and large moved on from the subject of racism; maybe you should too.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Oldcorp is right the current potus is proof of this as well as American culture.

The only reason racism is even being discussed is for manipulation to keep the left in power sorry this is the political madness forum and the only people who are screaming bloody racist are liberals.

racism=more money more votes.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Notice how these "vetting" threads have received Zero attention from the Pro Obama staff. Ignoring? or they can't defend against the evidence?

Amazing that they would rather fight to the tooth in a Sheriff Joe thread rather than face the truth. In this case, we have Obama's seal of approval on this national program in our tax payer funded schools.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Notice how these "vetting" threads have received Zero attention from the Pro Obama staff. Ignoring? or they can't defend against the evidence?

Amazing that they would rather fight to the tooth in a Sheriff Joe thread rather than face the truth. In this case, we have Obama's seal of approval on this national program in our tax payer funded schools.

Well maybe it's like the old saying goes .....

There's two kinds of people in the world.

Deer Hunters and Lamb killers.

Many debate classes teach people to only take the easy way, and ignore the hard parts.

Almost sounds like Obama Inc.

new topics

top topics

join