It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Carrier Killer Threat: Mach 6 Speeds, No Way to Counter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
China is developing this insane super missile that can kill US carriers at will. It is called the DF-21D. It can be launched from over 1000 miles away, making US Carriers worthless in a war with China. The missile then comes down from the atmosphere at Mach 6 making use of most defenses worthless. I hope to bring this to light as this is a weapon that could spell doom for US forces in the future. We talk about wars on terror, but something like this is a real threat!

the-diplomat.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by travis911

CIWS and RAM (Rolling Air Frame) missiles are a more than adequate defense against any missile threat. Not to mention the new rail gun coming out and laser/focused heat technology that is already being tested on US Navy ships.

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Why is it a "real threat" if it defends China from attack?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Most Chinese doctrine suggests for weapons like this to be effective it would need to offensive....

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
There's also the new air defence systems that are on the new type 45 frigates in the UK, they are bloody good
edit on 15/09/2011 by FFS4000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
But they won't be helping the US in a conflict with China...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It's actually a very good missile system - utilising a common blind spot directly above the target - thus evading most defensive weapon systems - dropping in from a high altitude
The majority of weapons on board ship won't fire directly up - as what goes up must come down - this is where formations and mutual support helps and that new type 45 is the daddy at the moment
But even so - Theres not much that'll chase down something doing Mach 6 - the defensive weapons would have to intercept the target on its flight path
A very effective weapon by the Chinese

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think TPTB couldnt really give a damn about the carriers. Its more about the submarines.

If the US and china go to war it will be a button war, carriers will be of no use IMO.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
These missiles are known to be nearly impossible to intercept when in use. I feel it would be a good thing for China to send a few to Iran to ensure it can defend itself from American aggression and warmongering.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by travis911
Most Chinese doctrine suggests for weapons like this to be effective it would need to offensive....

Jog my memory please, when was the last time that China attacked someone offensively? Perhaps you can refresh me as to the last time they went on an empire building spree of false flags, illegal wars, occupations, murder, rape and theft?

Could it be that US strategy of "containing" of China and Russia are driving defensive political & military doctrines of those countries?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

Iran is already developing their own ASBM system, though they havnt hit a moving target 'yet'

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork
These missiles are known to be nearly impossible to intercept when in use. I feel it would be a good thing for China to send a few to Iran to ensure it can defend itself from American aggression and warmongering.

The eagle becomes a birdie

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Why should the Navy attack China with carriers? As a poster already said, it will be a war of buttons - *BAM* mushroomcloud.

A carrier with its 30, 40 planes is no match for a landbased system with about 1.200 planes. They would be no use, even as a thread - because they have to be in close distance to Chinas shore to be a thread. And that would leave them vulnerable.. Look up Chinas military here.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It is obvious by now the UK will help the US, so to your "China carrier killer" I say (or should I say show) this....

Threat eliminated.

EDIT: I highly doubt there will be war with China, or at least I hope, there is enough crap going on in this world without more.
edit on 20/3/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
About our war with China, did you see it in a dream or is it already planned?

Any war between superpowers will be economic, not wet. China will be an easy winner.
edit on 20-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
It is obvious by now the UK will help the US, so to your "China carrier killer" I say (or should I say show) this....

Threat eliminated.

EDIT: I highly doubt there will be war with China, or at least I hope, there is enough crap going on in this world without more.
edit on 20/3/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

The Type 45 is a very capable craft, against planes only. There is no known system that can defeat the DF-21D, not even the Type 45 can do anything near it. Even if it could, we would need more than 6.

It's good that we can't stop them, the Americans need to learn the errors of their ways.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Justwork because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It does not matter what defence someone has, just as it does not matter what is used to attack, in reality any attacker can get a lucky shot in just as anyone can get a lucky defence in as well.

constantly we hear stories of the bravery of troops who defeat an enemy against all odds, these things happen by someone doing something unpredictable.
While everyone is scanning the skies for a mach 6 missile, they miss the guy in a row boat placing charges on the side of the ship.
A boxer will fake a left and strike with the right, a footballer will appear to be about to pass and continue his run.

It does not matter what you have, there is always a way to defeat an enemy, The US spends more money than any other country and has the most advanced everything you can imagine and yet they are still in Afghanistan fighting nomads using what is possibly WWII surplus weapons.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
I think TPTB couldnt really give a damn about the carriers. Its more about the submarines.

If the US and china go to war it will be a button war, carriers will be of no use IMO.

Right. Warships at sea are relics from old wars, never again in a full-scale, all-out war will they be vital to the outcome. In any coming war, the carriers will be the "sitting duck" decoys. Initial expendable for the purpose of a strong retaliation.

Yes, It will be a missile war, but that is only the first stage, the beginning of the end as land-based missiles destroy each other and land and sea targets.

The real war will be from space-based weaponery already in place in the control of the US Space Force. China ain't there yet. --Sounds like science-fiction, right?

I beg to differ. Read up on what is known about the space force, factor in the data we know and what they don't tell us about triangles, do a bit of imagining from that standpoint, and you will have some idea of what a full-scale war will bring. It will be war from space, the ultimate high ground.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The Type 45 is a very capable craft, against planes only. There is no known system that can defeat the DF-21D, not even the Type 45 can do anything near it. Even if it could, we would need more than 6.

The type 45 has some of the most sophisticated anti-missile systems in the world.

Advanced air defence

The Type 45 design uses the Principal Anti-Air Missile System, now known in Royal Navy service as Sea Viper. It is a joint British, French and Italian design. PAAMS consists of a SAMPSON fire control and tracking radar, MBDA Aster 15 and 30 missile systems and a 48-cell SYLVER vertical missile launcher, giving both short-range and long-range anti-air capability. The PAAMS system is able to control and coordinate several missiles in the air at once, allowing several tracks to be intercepted. The SYLVER VLS missile launcher can be upgraded to accommodate other weapons if necessary. The Daring class have often been considered to be the most powerful air-defence warships in the world. It has been suggested that the SAMPSON radar is capable of tracking an object the size of a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound. Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has talked of the RN's pride in a Type 45 being asked to switch off PAAMS because it was "constraining the training" in exercises with US forces. Although the Type 45 represents a significant improvement to air defences, her anti-ship capability is currently limited to the single medium calibre gun and helicopter-borne Sea Skua missiles.

So it can track something the size of a cricket ball travelling at Mach 3, so something of a larger size should be tracked at faster speeds.

Anti-air

Sea Viper missile system.

SAMPSON multi-function air tracking radar. (range 400 km)
S1850M 3D air surveillance radar, capable of tracking up-to 1,000 targets. (range 400 km)
48 cell SYLVER A-50 VLS for accommodation of up to 48× MBDA Aster missiles. A mix of;
Aster 15 - anti-air missiles (range 2-30km)
Aster 30 - anti-air missiles (also anti-ballistic missile capable) (range 3-120 km)

It also has submarine counter measures.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

The type 45 has some of the most sophisticated anti-missile systems in the world.

Advanced air defence

The Type 45 design uses the Principal Anti-Air Missile System, now known in Royal Navy service as Sea Viper. It is a joint British, French and Italian design. PAAMS consists of a SAMPSON fire control and tracking radar, MBDA Aster 15 and 30 missile systems and a 48-cell SYLVER vertical missile launcher, giving both short-range and long-range anti-air capability. The PAAMS system is able to control and coordinate several missiles in the air at once, allowing several tracks to be intercepted. The SYLVER VLS missile launcher can be upgraded to accommodate other weapons if necessary. The Daring class have often been considered to be the most powerful air-defence warships in the world. It has been suggested that the SAMPSON radar is capable of tracking an object the size of a cricket ball travelling at three times the speed of sound. Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has talked of the RN's pride in a Type 45 being asked to switch off PAAMS because it was "constraining the training" in exercises with US forces. Although the Type 45 represents a significant improvement to air defences, her anti-ship capability is currently limited to the single medium calibre gun and helicopter-borne Sea Skua missiles.

So it can track something the size of a cricket ball travelling at Mach 3, so something of a larger size should be tracked at faster speeds.

Anti-air

Sea Viper missile system.

SAMPSON multi-function air tracking radar. (range 400 km)
S1850M 3D air surveillance radar, capable of tracking up-to 1,000 targets. (range 400 km)
48 cell SYLVER A-50 VLS for accommodation of up to 48× MBDA Aster missiles. A mix of;
Aster 15 - anti-air missiles (range 2-30km)
Aster 30 - anti-air missiles (also anti-ballistic missile capable) (range 3-120 km)

It also has submarine counter measures.

And none are, thankfully, capable of stopping the DF-21D.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join