It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 8
49
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer
 


Ok.. the more I read the more idiotic I realize your chart is.
It is basically comparing primates and lower animal species. It conveniently leaves out the fact, in the teeth section, that in those omnivore and carnivore animals they also have to use their teeth to kill and for defense. Primates are on a whole other level. You can't even try to compare the two to make this point.




posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow
 


Check this out - Its an old book but brings up some simple observations on our body compared to carnivores and omnivores....


Observation of the digestive canal.
By observation of the digestive canal we find that the bowels of carnivorous animals are 3 to 5 times the length of their body, measuring from the mouth to the anus; and their stomach is almost spherical. The bowels of the herbivores are 20 to 28 times the length of their body and their stomach is more extended and of compound build. But the bowels of the frugivorous animals are 10 to 12 times the length of their body; their stomach is somewhat broader than that of the carnivorous and has a continuation in the duodenum serving the purpose of a second stomach. This is exactly the formation we find in human beings, though anatomy says that the human bowels are 3 to 5 times the length of man's body - making a mistake by measuring the body from the crown to the soles, instead of from mouth to anus. Thus we can again draw the inference that man is, in all probability, a frugivorous animal.


link



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 


LOL..
thinks "meat is murder" isn't preaching.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah
 


Well.. in all honesty that would make the most sense.
An omnivore that's main diet is fruit.
In most cases fruit is easier to attain and grows in more comfortable climates than some veggies.

Still doesn't mean we weren't meant to eat meat, it just backs up that we are omnivores.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by artistpoet
 


LOL..
thinks "meat is murder" isn't preaching.


It was a point for discussion we have moved on from there
Can you see any preaching in my other posts - I think not
It was an exchange between another and I
I am no preacher but whatever



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet
 


It was just funny to me because it was your post immediately before saying you weren't preaching.

Meat isn't murder. We eat meat, we have eaten meat, we will continue to do so. We are who we are today because of hunting. Our minds didn't grow like this to pick fruit. Our hunting skills and brains are what lead us to be great farmers later on. Other primates eat meat. It is natural.

Anyone that thinks that have to stop eating meat because they saw animals suffering in a movie is brainwashed and easily reprogrammable so good luck waking up elsewhere. Most people who care about what they eat don't eat animals that suffered in such ways because those ways usually go hand in hand with the mass distribution of fast food. It is a fad and it will fade away.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Most of the animals that we eat today, especially domestic cattle, wouldn't exist if we didn't eat them. They wouldn't survive in the wild.

Paradoxically, by eating them we are also ensuring their survival.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
So Vegans have no problem killing plants, but are against killing animals? So the life of an animal is more important than the life of a plant eh? What about bacteria and viruses, I'm guessing you Vegans have declared their lives less worthy than animals' lives as well huh? And these people consider themselves to be enlightened beings hovering over the rest of us barbarian meat-eaters? Hypocrites.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by artistpoet
 


It was just funny to me because it was your post immediately before saying you weren't preaching.

Meat isn't murder. We eat meat, we have eaten meat, we will continue to do so. We are who we are today because of hunting. Our minds didn't grow like this to pick fruit. Our hunting skills and brains are what lead us to be great farmers later on. Other primates eat meat. It is natural.

Anyone that thinks that have to stop eating meat because they saw animals suffering in a movie is brainwashed and easily reprogrammable so good luck waking up elsewhere. Most people who care about what they eat don't eat animals that suffered in such ways because those ways usually go hand in hand with the mass distribution of fast food. It is a fad and it will fade away.


Yes I see the irony and am not against any eating whatever you wish
Meat is animal flesh is more correct (I hope - ducks head to avoid flack)
So yes it is true we or rather some have always eaten meat and that is fact
Yet let us not avoid the issue that it involves the taking of a life of a sentient being (note I am avoiding saying murder) I am speaking truth here not preaching.
Most are removed from killing their food though many still do hunt and process their kills.
Yet I feel it is important to know where your food comes from and how it is obtained
If you respect animals you choose to eat then I have respect for you also.
Yet I can not respect some of the things I have witnessed as a boy and surely there has to be a better way of treating animals reared for food.
I am speaking my truth not preaching - Eat what you will it is your choice and no one has the right to take away your right to choose whatever that choice is.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Most of the animals that we eat today, especially domestic cattle, wouldn't exist if we didn't eat them. They wouldn't survive in the wild.

Paradoxically, by eating them we are also ensuring their survival.


Bisons did just fine in the wild...

They would exist as other animals exists with lions..

Those bulls have HUGE horns man, nothing to play with



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
So Vegans have no problem killing plants, but are against killing animals? So the life of an animal is more important than the life of a plant eh? What about bacteria and viruses, I'm guessing you Vegans have declared their lives less worthy than animals' lives as well huh? And these people consider themselves to be enlightened beings hovering over the rest of us barbarian meat-eaters? Hypocrites.


They don't have Big Brown Eyes.

I think Vegans or Vegas or Vigans (whatever) - - relate to animals that live in family groups - - have emotions - etc etc. Animals they relate to themselves.

But - - that's still hypocritical - - because science has proven plants experience pain and emotions - - and who knows - - they may have some type of family grouping. Just because you can't relate to it - - - doesn't mean it isn't the same.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic
So Vegans have no problem killing plants, but are against killing animals? So the life of an animal is more important than the life of a plant eh? What about bacteria and viruses, I'm guessing you Vegans have declared their lives less worthy than animals' lives as well huh? And these people consider themselves to be enlightened beings hovering over the rest of us barbarian meat-eaters? Hypocrites.


Yes no problem planting seedlings, tending them and watching them grow then cropping them to eat.
Yes plants are my food so is fish - I do not eat animal flesh by choice
The Human Race are animals not plants is my reasoning
It is up to you what you do it does not matter to me
We are all free to choose and I respect everyones choice to eat as they will



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 


Plant experience pain and emotions you say - Proven by science - depends how you look at it I guess



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by Annee
 


Plant experience pain and emotions you say - Proven by science - depends how you look at it I guess


Yeah - - they don't have Big Brown Eyes - - so you can not personally relate to them.

So yes - you are correct - - depends how you look at it.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Most of the animals that we eat today, especially domestic cattle, wouldn't exist if we didn't eat them. They wouldn't survive in the wild.

Paradoxically, by eating them we are also ensuring their survival.


Bisons did just fine in the wild...

They would exist as other animals exists with lions..

Those bulls have HUGE horns man, nothing to play with

No population of domesticated animal would survive in the wild. In any case, globally-speaking very few people eat bison.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by Annee
 


Plant experience pain and emotions you say - Proven by science - depends how you look at it I guess


Yeah - - they don't have Big Brown Eyes - - so you can not personally relate to them.

So yes - you are correct - - depends how you look at it.


Yes it is those big brown eyes that got me - at the slaughterhouse the fear in those eyes - the scent of death all round - I was a boy and I wept and still do.
I am just being honest as to my reasons for not wanting to eat meat.
It is nothing personal - I love my meat eating friends - I am happy to catch fish and have and sure any can say I am a hypocrite - Yet I still say eat what you will - what ever that is.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Yes it is those big brown eyes that got me - at the slaughterhouse the fear in those eyes - the scent of death all round - I was a boy and I wept and still do.


Exactly!

But plants are living things too - - and do react to pain - fire - energies - etc.

The difference is - - you are not on the same level they are - - so you do not relate to their experience.

There is the old Twilight episode: "To Serve Man".

If off-planet beings from a more evolved race showed up - - - YOU could be lunch - - if they are at a level that does not relate.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What biased bull#.

"A large-scale study involving 120,000 people showed that consumption of red meat significantly reduces life expectancy."

The chicken Im eating right now doesnt look red at all.



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
How many carnivorous animals cook their meat?
And
How many omnivorous humans eat raw meat?

If I am supposed to eat meat, how come I never managed to chew it if I don't boil or fry it?



posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer
 


To bad thee study did not take into account organic grass fed meat as opposed to the hormone antibiotic and chemical laden crap raised in their own feces and fed grains their stomachs and systems are not made for that passes for meat in the super market. I have not doubt that crap decreases life expectancy. However that renders the study moot as being able to condemn meat across the board as it does....



new topics

top topics



 
49
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join