It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

How on earth was this off topic?? The OP talked about cruelty to animals and I was illustrating how it's normal in our world for animals to eat animals.
edit on 20-3-2012 by WordsAreAvenues because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
I've tried eating meat, and not eating meat.

If I don't eat meat, I get oedema, my energy levels collapse, I start losing brain function, and my weight gain goes into free fall; not to mention my libido dying completely.

The issue is also truthfully not about the environment, and never has been. It's about vegetarians wanting to act as moral police with the rest of us. You won't find a vegetarian who isn't a collectivist, and who doesn't fundamentally believe that they have the right to tell everyone else how to live.

So truthfully, I'm really not interested in putting my own health on the line, purely in order to indulge your self-righteousness.

Sorry.

My sister was a vegetarian who damn near died because of her practice. She suffered multiple illnesses/disabilities due to the lack of meat in her diet.

Thankfully she listened to the doctors and now eats fish and poultry. She also ditched all the supplements that are supposedly good for you.

Shes healthier now but still suffers from depriving her body of necessary nutrients the ten years she was a vegan.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WordsAreAvenues

Originally posted by purplemer

Eating meat in my opinion is an act of bullying against animals.

Animals eat meat too. I guess animals don't care about your opinion anymore than I do.

Not all animals eat meat some do.
It is all down to personal choice what we (Humans) eat depending upon availability.
Today we have many more options

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's sad that we live in a world where corporations and animals get more rights than human fetus'. We even have medical ethics committees suggesting newly born babies don't have normal human rights. (www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...) Yet we cry bloody murder when an animal gets used for food.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Animals eat meat too. I guess animals don't care about your opinion anymore than I do.

It is all down to personal choice what we (Humans) eat depending upon availability.

My point is that at least some animals do eat meat. Quite a lot actually. If they can then why can't we?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WordsAreAvenues

You get me wrong - If you choose to eat meat that is fine by me - I respect your choice who am I or any to say what one should and should not do.
I have my own good reasons for not eating meat and also am at liberty to express my views as are all.
It is called discussion so we can all (Meat Eaters / Vegetarians / Vegans) learn if we choose to do so

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Veg is important.

Couldn't have a roast without it!

I know its hard to make roasted vegetables without vegetables.. One of my favourite meals I might well add...

Touche.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You get me wrong - If you choose to eat meat that is fine by me - I respect your choice who am I or any to say what one should and should not do.
I have my own good reasons for not eating meat and also am at liberty to express my views as are all.
It is called discussion so we can all (Meat Eaters / Vegetarians / Vegans) learn if we choose to do so

I don't recall where I said you couldn't express your views. (mine were deleted by the mods...)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just participating in the discussion by expressing my views as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It's sad that we live in a world where corporations and animals get more rights than human fetus'. We even have medical ethics committees suggesting newly born babies don't have normal human rights. (www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...) Yet we cry bloody murder when an animal gets used for food.

Let us be honest - I have been to a slaughterhouse and that is what took place slaughter on a grand scale.
Shocking to see but I can not deny what I saw

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I don't recall where I said you couldn't express your views. (mine were deleted by the mods...)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm just participating in the discussion by expressing my views as well.

Yes I am saying the same thing as you really - I had posts deleted too.
I was not saying you said anything like I could not express my views I simply stated I am expressing my views
I know most can agree that what one eats is down to personal choice

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Thank you for your wonderful thread. You can only preach to the unpreachable up to a certain point. I ate meat most of my life, and loved it, and when I gave it up long ago I thought I'd never enjoy food again. Just the opposite!!! When the taste buds literally heal up from years of eating like a carnivore (and no, we are not built to eat meat - babies have to be trained to do it and they are not happy about it), every meal was and is a feast.

If you are only holding on to eating meat because of habit, just stop it. It's like smoking cigarettes, the only proven way to quit is to just quit and never do it again.

Thanks again for the thread.

link   

My point is that at least some animals do eat meat. Quite a lot actually. If they can then why can't we?

Exactly because there are a lot of animals out there that wouldn't
Think twice about eating any of us.

link   

Let us be honest - I have been to a slaughterhouse and that is what took place slaughter on a grand scale.

A slaughter house and the idea of killing an animal for food can't quite be compared. They're different issues.

If you don't like how slaughter houses are run then lobby against THEM. But a slaughter house and someone who guts a fish to eat aren't in the same arena.

I actually agree that there could be better, more humane, ways to prepare animals for consumption, but to throw the baby out with the bath water is never a good thing.

I also agree that people consume way too much red meat (poor quality meat, at that), but the answer is to educate people on reducing red meat (and perhaps making stricter guidelines for meat companies to ensure better, healthier products) and upping the fresh veggies - not telling people that all meat is murder. It's just not.

What's more concerning than people eating red meat is that we allow people to eat all sorts of #ty junk/fast foods that contain highly toxic substances that don't need to be there. Yet there's hardly an outcry about that. If we want people to eat better then we need to change our food system. Educate people. Don't lie to them by telling them all red meat is always horrible for them. That's misinformation. If people reduced their red meats and only ate healthier meats when they do eat them, then I guarantee you red meat wouldn't be the villain it's made out to be.

For the record - I barely eat red meat, so I'm not trying to defend my own actions.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

www-bcf.usc.edu...

Our closing living relatives right? If you're going to compare us to an animal it should be them.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

A slaughter house and the idea of killing an animal for food can't quite be compared. They're different issues.

If you don't like how slaughter houses are run then lobby against THEM. But a slaughter house and someone who guts a fish to eat aren't in the same arena.

I actually agree that there could be better, more humane, ways to prepare animals for consumption, but to throw the baby out with the bath water is never a good thing.

I also agree that people consume way too much red meat (poor quality meat, at that), but the answer is to educate people on reducing red meat (and perhaps making stricter guidelines for meat companies to ensure better, healthier products) and upping the fresh veggies - not telling people that all meat is murder. It's just not.

What's more concerning than people eating red meat is that we allow people to eat all sorts of #ty junk/fast foods that contain highly toxic substances that don't need to be there. Yet there's hardly an outcry about that. If we want people to eat better then we need to change our food system. Educate people. Don't lie to them by telling them all red meat is always horrible for them. That's misinformation. If people reduced their red meats and only ate healthier meats when they do eat them, then I guarantee you red meat wouldn't be the villain it's made out to be.

For the record - I barely eat red meat, so I'm not trying to defend my own actions.

It is not for me to say how the meat industry should conduct it's affairs or how slaughterhouses are run.
My visit to a slaughterhouse put me off eating meat.
I no longer have a problem with meat eating or what is said about it - I just do not do it by choice
I agree that Education/Information is a must for individuals to make informed decisions for themselves on
I have friends of who eat meat and some who do not

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

Have you ever tried to eat ribs without teeth?

I don't understand your point...
edit on 20-3-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyStardust

There are also 3 pack a day smokers that live to be 90 without getting cancer, and others who die at a young age who never smoke. Anecdotes are not evidence of anything.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

The universe is hostile,
So impersonal.
Devour to survive, so it is,
So it's always been.

So true my friend, so true.

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.

This is necessary...This is necessary...Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

I find nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, vegan or a meat eater. Personally I think that some peoples bodies are more accepting of disciplined diets than others.

I don't think everyone can be vegetarian or vegan, and I think if everyone in the world made the life style change in a few years we would see an epidemic of malnutrition and neurological disease that would make today's food problems seem pretty modest.

Not to mention the problems caused by the amount of pesticides, genetic modification, and destructive agriculture practices which would have to be used to make such high yields of fruits, grains and vegetables available to the masses.

We consume way to much meat in today's society, I think everyone can acknowledge that. I mean I'm pretty sure 40 to 50% of that meat is probably thrown away anyway, either because it goes bad or is tainted some how during the production process. In the past most societies ate meat very sparingly and was consumed more often during Fall and Winter.

We live in a world of extremes and excess, we as a society need to realize that and focus on rational solutions to these problems. We need to have symbiosis with nature, it is not ours to enslave and exploit. It is ours to protect and use wisely.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Mosquitoes feed on our blood, Bacteria feed on our corpses. There is no such thing as a food chain it is a web, and nothing is at the top or more important than anything else.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join