It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I am far from being a vegetarian, but I have reduced my red meat diet significantly and have seen the benefits. I do love a nice slice of Venison or Bison back strap though on a weekly basis.

It's my treat to myself for getting through the week.

To be truthful, I have also done the same regarding poultry and seafood/fish. But I believe that is more due to laziness, rather than being health conscious.

Slapping together a salad or grabbing a handful of my nut mix (Pecans, Walnuts and Almonds) is easier than prepping a full blown meal.

And it usually tides me over until the next time I'm too lazy to make a proper meal.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Therefore, realistically, we need to thin the numbers and not to live longer.

There is not a shortage of food on the planet. We are putting strain on the planet with our agricultural practises. I am not against anyone eating meat it is a personal choice. I am just presenting the facts...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If eating meat is animal abuse, using your argument, why don't you consider eating vegetables to be vegetable abuse?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Most people in the world are omnivores

Most people may well be ominvres although our bodies are designed to be vegetarian. Again I will state it is a personal choice. I have made my choice and I will leave you to make yours..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by ZiggyStardust
honestly i think meat eaters have guilt. every discussion i see about meat diet vs veg diet it's the meat eaters getting angry and defensive. i went vegetarian 3 years ago and at the time everyone tried to convince me how stupid and unhealthy it was. since then i have had several people tell me they were wrong and that they have since discovered that a vegetarian diet is actually very beneficial. there are videos of people on raw vegan diets that are 70 years old and look like they are 40 and have no health problems. that says a lot right there.

No guilt. You want to eat veg? Great.

More meat for me.

Just don't try to pry it from my cold, greasy, (BBQ'd) hands!

the guilt would be on a subconscious level.
and why would i try to pry it from your hands if i don't eat it? hmm.. that line is used a lot on ATS and it's getting kinda old, no offense.
i don't give 2 poops about who eats meat and who doesn't. all i'm saying is don't deny the facts.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Humans are Omnivores.

Please look at the graph below and explain to me how we are omnivores..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Just to be clear, pork and chicken are not considered red meat??? Or does it depend on which vegan you talk to.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

I think in my experience it depends on who you are talking too. There are no clear cut rights and wrongs with this.. It comes down to personal choice..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Eating meat in my opinion is an act of bullying against animals. It is puts a big strain on our biosphere. We can feed a lot more people with less land on vegetables...

Maybe one day you will get labels on meat products like you do on cigarettes... Warning may cause cancer..

Mother earth has plenty to go around, and by cancer I assume you mean processed meats?

Better not eat any veggies out of a can....

why can't we feed them meat and vegetables?

a million pounds of a food a year on 3 acres.

Time to think a little more progressively if you are to embark on this crusade...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Veg is important.

Couldn't have a roast without it!

I know its hard to make roasted vegetables without vegetables.. One of my favourite meals I might well add...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Meat is delicious

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Certain types of plastics can leach estrogen mimicking chemicals into beverage bottles and food containers. Scientists are concerned that even at low levels, these environmental estrogens may work together with the body’s own estrogen to increase the risk of breast cancer.

envirocancer.cornell.edu...

not to go off topic,

however I think all the problems are from processed food with all those special additives to make it last.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
That chart is bogus and made by someone who is a vegan. As is the study. Go to a nursing home/retirement community and see how many 90+ year olds are vegan. No one can deny that fish(from a non-polluted source) is healthy for humans.

One's diet is your choice and I do believe ethnicity and blood type play a major role of what one's body needs. Just because someone comes out with a study or a chart does not mean it is true.

I have no problem with the vegan lifestyle, it is a personal choice. Just don't try to tell me your diet is superior to mine based on a non-scientific study.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox
Meat is delicious

Meat is Murder

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Go to a nursing home/retirement community and see how many 90+ year olds are vegan. No one can deny that fish(from a non-polluted source) is healthy for humans.

Now go to a nursing home in India and ask the same question...Most Hindus are basically vegaterian-almost vegan,but they do eat paneer(cheese),and drink milk.
Alot of them reach 90+

As for a non polluted fish,well you would have to find one of those off planet,as all ours on Earth have levels of heavy metals/dioxins/PCB's.

Each to their own though,I haven't eaten meat since I was a kid...over 20 years ago.
Except for maybe the odd traces in sauces/processed food that may have slipped past my radar.

Never been to hospital,don't get colds or flu,even when friends and family do.

For me its the cruelty thing-most animals reared for food are treated badly IMO.

Edit:
I think a lot of the problems from eating meat these days comes from all the drugs/hormones/additives the animals are fed.
Maybe small home farms are the way to go instead of all this factory nonsense?
If you want to eat meat,I think that would be the best option in terms of health.

edit on 20/3/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Would you consider predatory birds murderers? Hawks, falcons, eagles, owls ect.. kill other birds and other species to survive. As do many members of the mammal class. I do not consider humans above the animal kingdom so if you call me a murderer for killing an animal to eat then you have to label other species the same.

About killing another animal for food, I have no problem with it but I do think in today's age of processed food not enough people recognize that the meat they eat came from a living being. I feel if you can not bring yourself to slaughter an animal to eat then maybe you should not eat it's meat.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't eat meat products because:
1, there could be parasites in meat products like tapeworms;
2, it's very fattening which can bring forth heart disease and/or diabetes;
3, it's very abusive of animals - they get slaughtered and so evil spiritual versions of themselves manifest when they can't tolerate the distress of being killed anymore.
So I'm in favor of nonviolent methods of killing animals, i.e., youthanasia and I've been advising city and county legislatures to have sales taxes on all meat products.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
i encourage people to eat less meat, heck just eliminate it from your diet entirely.

i don't plan to do so...but I want a better price on my favorite cuts of meat at the market.

i just hope the Vegetarians don't seize control of the government...so I don't have to live under their tyranny.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Meat is delicious

Meat is Murder

The universe is hostile,
So impersonal.
Devour to survive, so it is,
So it's always been.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They should do a study based on blood type, ethnicity, and metabolism. There's got to be a major difference of needs based on metabolism. I have a fast metabolism, a salad or plate of veggies will be in and out and I'll feel like I'm dying of hunger since I don't have a lot of body fat. I need the meat, I'm lean and if I'm going to get anything done for the tribe, I've gotta have some fatty meat. 1 hearty meal or two small meals is all I need.

Also, I can't stand when people say "oh it's murder", for crying ou loud It might be "murder" for the farmer and the butcher but not the consumer. And even then, trying to throw that in there like a guilt trip seems quite extreme. This is not something I'm willing to debate either, and honestly, a lot of vegans I've seen appear weaker, frail, low muscle, and very pasty. Today you can get away with being vegan because our evolution, society, and technology allows people to stay alive when technically mother nature might've weeded them out already.

Since I'm not a vegan, I can't imagine what a person can eat that's going to be enough fuel to do physical work..
If you're sedentary, work at a cubicle, then go home and be sorta lazy then I guess I could see how one could eat only vegetables. But that's just based on how i know my body functions and my opinion.

Originally posted by Lysergic

Originally posted by artistpoet

Meat is delicious

Meat is Murder

The universe is hostile,
So impersonal.
Devour to survive, so it is,
So it's always been.

^^this^^

Galaxies consume other galaxies. Freaking murder man.

edit on 20-3-2012 by LightWarrior11 because: Tool quote

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join