It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I have no problem with animals as clothes Or other people eating them. I just cant handle the thought of eating dead animals. People don't get it. but the only way i can describe it is that when they see someone eating bugs on a game show or something and think how can they eat that. That's how i think about eating dead animals. Fruit and veg appears as cleaner food to me

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Therefore veggies are totally against the planet. Bear with me on this!

We consume more than the planet can take and there are far too many of us. Therefore, realistically, we need to thin the numbers and not to live longer. That means veggies are condemning the planet to more people and they will live longer and therefore consume more.

Smokers, drinkers and meat eaters should, frankly, be given tax concessions (and medals!) for doing their bit to reduce numbers and save the planet.

I rest my case........

edit on 20-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

Lol, but... growing animals causes stress on the environment, and growing plants actually help the environment, i thuink it balances out! +1 for the plant!

*i eat meat. its too late for me cause my dad is meateatarian and my mom is vegetarian, so i got fed meat since i was young. If i had a choice, i would go back in time and prevent me from eating meat*

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
i am a meat eater, but i also eat veg... im still on the fence with this one... having been a meat eater since i was wee, having been brought up in a meat eating household, i've always thought there was nothing wrong with eating meat...i have killed my own chickens and one sheep... at least i know they had a good life and didnt suffer in any way... BUT, having seen a few articles about red meat possibly causing cancer, then it made me think twice... i did try being a vegetarian a couple of years ago and managed 3 months.... but then had a bacon butty after totally forgetting about my new diet...

and seeing as i dont eat that much meat, i might just stop entirely... its better for the planet, and like a few others have said, it does seem cleaner in a way...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

how is it too late for you? i was raised on meat and am most likely going to stop eating meat... so why dont you do it too? especially if thats how you feel....

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Do I think people need to eat meat? Yes. Do I think we eat too much now? Yes. Which is part of the problem.

Our ancestors probabably would of eaten meat in sputs, other times only eating vegetables if meat was unavailable.

But genetics also play in this, and there is a highly understudied section of nutrition called ethnic dieting.

You basically would only eat what your ancestors had access too.

A perfect example is rice. It comes from Asian countries, asians have been genetically adapted to it as a food source, it can sustain them.
But give it to a European and their bloos sugar spikes and they crash.

Some races would of had only eaten meat, others would be be mainly fruits depending on location.

So I don't think it is so simple as vegetarian vs. non. You have to go back to your roots.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Veg is important.

Couldn't have a roast without it!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Purplemer, here's how you end this debate:

"It's been determined that while some humans prefer and perform best while eating a vegetarian diet, others prefer and perform best while integrating meat into their diets."

But how could this be! Mon dieu! We are all exactly the same!

No we aren't! And sometimes, one person's preferences can even fluctuate over their lifespan. When clocking more than 15 miles per week running, I just about stop functioning without meat. Once re-introduced, no problems. When I dip below that 15, or determine I deserve a vacation, meat becomes more like a decadent dessert in the sense I don't need it, but it sure looks and smells nice.

I was vegan for six years, and an allergy to soy ended it all. Yeah, probably should mention that for some, soy causes the joints to swell up like a boy's ego on prom night. So you also have to account for allergies and medical conditions, which may preclude vegetarianism.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

have you ever tried to eat carrots or celery without teeth?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
honestly i think meat eaters have guilt. every discussion i see about meat diet vs veg diet it's the meat eaters getting angry and defensive. i went vegetarian 3 years ago and at the time everyone tried to convince me how stupid and unhealthy it was. since then i have had several people tell me they were wrong and that they have since discovered that a vegetarian diet is actually very beneficial. there are videos of people on raw vegan diets that are 70 years old and look like they are 40 and have no health problems. that says a lot right there.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyStardust
honestly i think meat eaters have guilt. every discussion i see about meat diet vs veg diet it's the meat eaters getting angry and defensive. i went vegetarian 3 years ago and at the time everyone tried to convince me how stupid and unhealthy it was. since then i have had several people tell me they were wrong and that they have since discovered that a vegetarian diet is actually very beneficial. there are videos of people on raw vegan diets that are 70 years old and look like they are 40 and have no health problems. that says a lot right there.

No guilt. You want to eat veg? Great.

More meat for me.

Just don't try to pry it from my cold, greasy, (BBQ'd) hands!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
just to let you know that eating red meat causes agression. Dont believe me? then look at the behaviour of people from say 200 years ago in England. The common people ate only veggies and white meat. The ruling class ate red meat. Who were the people going around causing wars being aggressive to obtain what they wanted. Two totally different behaviours from 2 different diets.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

This is ridiculous.
Old info about eating too much redmeat causes cancer.. at what percentage?
I mean millions of things can cause cancer, but will it? Humans are meant to eat meat. There is a reason we developed to eat meat. Read meat isn't the only meat you know?

So.. standoff is.. not over?
Actually it should have never begun. Most people in the world are omnivores and have been healthy. If you don't like what happens to animals then breed and farm them yourself and that worry is erased. There is actually no reason to quit eating meat.

What I really really can't wait for, is when the tests come up showing how cancerous the bioveggies are and how they are the only thing vegans can get.

That's right. It's not the type of food, it's just the condition of food in our world today.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

How about this.

I won't sweat you for what you eat, as long as you don't condemn what I eat.

Humans are Omnivores.

Like Bears.

It is pretty well accepted that we are the top of the food chain.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
just to let you know that eating red meat causes agression. Dont believe me? then look at the behaviour of people from say 200 years ago in England. The common people ate only veggies and white meat. The ruling class ate red meat. Who were the people going around causing wars being aggressive to obtain what they wanted. Two totally different behaviours from 2 different diets.

Is agression the cause of eating red meat, or is red meat the effect of agression?

You can be non-agressive and get you kill of carrots.

But you have to be agressive to take down a deer.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Every living human is born with cancerous cells - certain things activate them to make them act aggressively. It is a misnomer though to think that cancer is anything other than an in built human condition.

For example, there are more carcinogenic cells in a burnt sausage than in a cigarette (not advocating giving up sausages!). That doesn't mean though that eating sausages will give you cancer (but it might).

Personally, i think we worry far too much about the stupid stuff like drink and diet. At the end of the day, our whole existence is rather surreal when you get right down to it so worrying about this sort of thing seems rather pointless.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I probably do eat too much meat. On average I eat about 1 lb. of marbled steak, 2-3 lbs of other forms of beef, about a small chicken's worth of chicken, and about a half pound of deli turkey every week. My vegetable intake is but a couple potatoes, an onion, and 1/2 of a tomato. For grains I eat a box of pasta and some white sandwich bread. I also have a few oranges as snacks. I drink only water and glass of milk every now and then. That's about my entire diet. I admit its pretty large and meaty. Although, notice that I do not eat any swine. This is not because I'm religious or even because I don't like the taste. I guess its because of the same reason you vegetarians don't eat any meat. I find it disgusting.

Anyways, I also smoke a pack of cigarettes every 2 days, and I haven't had any illnesses in about 5 years, don't have cancer, and risking giving even more unnecessary information I have regular and full bowel movements. Now, I'd be fooling myself if I said this is indicative of the future or because of the way I eat, but I am rather healthy at the moment. What I find alarming though is how addicted I am to eating meat. For instance, If I go a day or two without eating any animal protein I have cravings and, almost, withdraw like symptoms similar to the intensity I would get if I went without cigarettes for the same amount of time.

This study, however, just shows basic statistics that show some correlation. Its not a checkmate by a long shot, and I believe there have been more just like it. If unprocessed red meat greatly increases the risk for certain diseases and what have you, what is the reason? If someone has a valid explanation please share. My theory as to why their may be a correlation of meat to health problems is the quality of the meat, the hormones and other crap they put in the meat, and the basic living conditions of the animals.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
while im sure you could live off veggies,nus and berries,but the truth is humans are omnivores. just look in the mirror at your teeth! molars for chewing,front teeth for tearing. and i do agree our meat today isnt that good for you due to all the crap their injected and fed, but 500 years ago the animals were 'normal'! we were designed to eat meat and veggies. i respect people's personal choice,but i sure like a good steak!!!

I always tell people that, we are designed to eat both, and that tells me.... by that evolution we must NEED both for balanced nutrition. We have these awesome canine teeth for a reason.

With the Venus fly trap, even plants are carnivores! Is there going to be a movement to convince Fly traps and other carnivorous plants to go vegetarian? lol

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007

Were you alive 200 years ago? No you weren't. I really wish that people would stop making up facts as they go. And i could care less what you want me to eat, I'm still going to eat meat whenever i want. I refuse to be some robot and follow the crowd.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

funny! guess what,i have no teeth(medical) and yes i have and yes i do! i love them!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by luciddream

how is it too late for you? i was raised on meat and am most likely going to stop eating meat... so why dont you do it too? especially if thats how you feel....

Its more like i got the taste for it but i hate what im doing underneath... like for example, when im with my friends, even tho i try to control myself, when friends order meat food. i also want to order them.

If i never tasted, it would be far more easy, also my mom is far more skilled in making vegetarian dishes.

but im getting better at it, i stopped eating red meat, completely stopped Pork, Goat(reduced to like 4-5x a year), beef(once a month, sometims), currently only eating fish and chicken.

i Also have no problem eating Eggs or drinking milk, milk should not even be discussed because, we drink our own mothers milk when we are young, and its not much different from cow's. Eggs are debatable because they are formed of organic compounds but not alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join