It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

Sure plants are living too - But to compare them with sentient beings is a pathetic and worn out put down

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

*i eat meat. its too late for me cause my dad is meateatarian and my mom is vegetarian, so i got fed meat since i was young. If i had a choice, i would go back in time and prevent me from eating meat*
My dad fed me a ribeye every morning at one point when I was in school. He was afraid I'd remain small (he also supplied me with Playboys so I wouldn't be gay LOL). I weaned myself from the meat habit using cod. I've been meat free for 20 years. I now weigh 255 pounds and have a muscular figure.

I wear leather. Animals have to die sometime.

I feed my cats tuna. Cats are natural meat eaters and need meat to survive.

I'm an atheist, so the "God wants you to kill" argument doesn't work with me.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
if god didn't want us to eat animals
then
WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Meat is of course flesh and very similar to yours so I guess by your premise cannibalism is good by God.
This is my body this is my blood etc - sounds kinda Satanic

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by aardvark888
reply to post by artistpoet

You guys need to go and look up the meaning of the word "murder!" It has never meant the killing of animals - it has always only meant the intentional killing of another human, and it always will mean that, so you better find another derogatory word to suit your cause... while I finish my T-Bone.

Who's you guys - It was I who said that as a retort to a three word off cuff comment as was mine in return.
Would slaughter be more appropriate as in Slaughterhouse - enjoy your T Bone - I care not whether you eat meat or not it is your choice no need for bravado to hide your guilt or anger
edit on 21-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Vegetarians who hold the belief that the humane slaughter of an animal for food is "animal abuse" yet support the slaughter of human babies through abortion need to understand their own hypocritical beliefs and analyse just who has influenced them and why.

Who says vegetarians support abortion in the same breath then so do meat eaters

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I simply will never understand the mind of someone who considers everything on this planet was created for them.

No animal was created for your food. It's just how it turned out. Guess what, a shark is in a better position in every single aspect should he find you in his environment. Yet people then hunt that shark.

Animals on this planet are not created for US. But if you do want to entertain that idea, it has to include ALL animals. Including the arrogant homo sapiens.

Humans are the most arrogant and self obsessed creatures alive. And we fear the NWO boogeyman.. lmao we ARE the boogey man.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nobody is going to make me inferior for eating meat. Try all you want. Taking a life is acceptable if you respect it, using all parts of the animal is best if it has given it's life for us. I often wonder why I do not know even one vegetarian that is really old. I suppose it's because they eat so many natural Cox 2 inhibitors.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet Would slaughter be more appropriate as in Slaughterhouse

I can't get meat eaters to watch slaughterhouse videos. They also get really upset when I describe them. I know meat eaters who are appalled by hunting. It's like the "Made in China" stuff. Everyone wants it but doesn't want to know about the suffering it's caused.
edit on 21-3-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Funny for me to see this thread right now, as I've just decided to go with a raw food diet, supplemented with spirulina and chlorella. I'm doing it for health and to raise my vibration.

But, good lord almighty, I love me some tri-tip This is gonna hurt

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There are meats I love and meats I hate, according to my parents I was never big on meat. The meat I really hate is pork, I don't know why but I just don't like it, chicken is also falling into that category, too much of something in life can be bad I guess.

The one meat dish I love and I would never give it up is Steak Tartar, it's not something you can or should eat everyday, but man oh man it's awesome, once a year type of deal in my family.

I tend to have a 4:1 vegetable based meals, and that's that.

People shouldn't judge people by what they eat... that's just f'n silly, and really really sad.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by artistpoet Would slaughter be more appropriate as in Slaughterhouse

I can't get meat eaters to watch slaughterhouse videos. They also get really upset when I describe them. I know meat eaters who are appalled by hunting. It's like the "Made in China" stuff. Everyone wants it but doesn't want to know about the suffering it's caused.
edit on 21-3-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

I have been to a slaughterhouse and from then on never ate meat again
The cold concrete floors were swimming in blood
The stench of death and fearful cries of the animals was overwhelming
The eyes of the animals meet yours and there is a fear that pleads and touches your heart
This is no story this is reality
I respect those who hunt for their food or who are prepared to kill the animal they wish to consume
Yet the callous disregard for the suffering of those poor animals will stay with me forever
I was a boy just 13 or so and I despised the butcher who taken me there who thought it was some big joke
In retrospect he did me a great favour

edit on 21-3-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

edit on 21-3-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I like red meat, veggies taste like crap to me. I'll trade a few years off my life for red meat, it's well worth it to me.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Nah, I understand. My problem is with the people with double standards - "OOooooh , I can't stand animal cruelty" whilst supporting cruel practices, caged chickens (not a dig), veal crates etc.
And, those who think that eating dogs etc is not acceptable whilst buying pork - Pigs are said to be more intelligent than dogs, if that makes a difference.
No, if you can stare an animal in the face before slaughter or know and understand some farming/production practices and don't think they are wrong, then you are not being hypocritical. The people that bury their heads in the sand when you show them pictures of abattoirs and cry that it's cruel then tuck into a burger - they are worse than those that think that animal cruelty is OK.

From a health point of view, non meat diets lack nothing if done properly. In fact a person that has a predominantly red meat based diet is likely to be deficient in a wider spectrum of nutrients than a vegan.

Oh, while I'm talking about hypocrisy, next time someone harps on about world hunger, consider this -
all the grain fed to cattle in the US, just so people can have something that they feel tastes good, but they don't actually need, would be enough to feed the worlds starving people. Another debate maybe, maybe not.
edit on 21-3-2012 by barmyfluid because: format

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
To be fair the title of this thread is provocative to meat eaters

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

I am not vs anyone - It is personal choice
As for the report - I do not agree with it fundamentally

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Humans have been eating meat since we've been on this rock and we are still here, so obviously we must be doing something right.

I eat very healthy with a fine combination of white and red meat, mainly white meat. I only eat organic and never eat meat treated with hormones or antibiotics. I eat a ton of veggies and drink over a gallon of water a day. I'm about as healthy as someone possibly could be. I don't see the need to change my diet that works for me.

if it works for you, stick with it. Don't do some diet just because the next door neighbor is on it or the morons from the view said it's healthy.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It interests me that inevitably both abortion and the will of God end up being part of these omnivore versus vegetarian and vegan debates. As an agnostic skeptic who often considers the possibility that none of this really means anything anyway in the grand scheme of things (particularly given the penchant of nature to occasionally arbitrarily wipe out countless numbers of humans with seeming indifference via tsunamis, earthquakes, and other natural disasters,) I'll let George Carlin express that possibility for me, more eloquently and entertainingly than I ever could.

Warning: the following video contains explicit language.

I would also add the question: why does our lifespan on one diet versus another have anything to do with the morality of that diet versus any other? Isn't that an entirely separate debate? I suppose not if you believe that everything that happens is for a reason and under some sort of universal moral control, but again, seeing as how I'm an agnostic skeptic, and seeing as how nature routinely wipes out humans with utter indifference, that argument doesn't fly for me.

Just my two cents. Peace.
edit on 3/21/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Added thought

edit on 3/21/2012 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

I have seen the slaughter videos, and I still love a good steak among many other tasty meat snacks. Is watching the animals being slaughtered fun for me? No, but they do need to die before they are butchered so it is a necessary step.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
I wear leather. Animals have to die sometime.

I hope you do realize that leather doesn't come from animals that just die of natural causes. If you condone wearing leather then you condone the slaughter of animals.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majiq1
reply to post by gentledissident

I have seen the slaughter videos, and I still love a good steak among many other tasty meat snacks. Is watching the animals being slaughtered fun for me? No, but they do need to die before they are butchered so it is a necessary step.

Well at least your prepared to look at where your meat comes from.
You say it was no fun for you to watch the videos yet it was for less fun for the animal - not a put down but just an observation - as is this - You say they meaning animals "need to die before being butchered so it is a necessary step" Yet it is not that the animal needs to die. I am sure if animals could speak our language they would say differently - It is that Humans want them to die

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by barmyfluid

I totally understand about the hypocracy regarding meat. Maybe i am slightly unsympathetic in that regard - blame my country upbringing!

A quality example of this hypocracy - a couple of years ago i took my daughter to a petting (but working) farm near to me. She had a great time looking at all the animals and generally just getting involved. Possibly because i sometimes don't help myself, i couldn't resist telling her which cuts of meat came from which animals and highlighting these areas on said animals. My daughter found it fascinating. Some of the other parents there with their own kids didn't appreciate it so much though. I was getting some very dirty looks which was rather strange considering i saw most of those same parents in the farm shop afterwards buying meat!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join