It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians vs. meat-eaters: Standoff is over

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Until recently, due to the lack of quality statistical studies, too great of a role in the great debate between vegetarians and meat eaters was played by a rhetorical component. A large-scale study involving 120,000 people showed that consumption of red meat significantly reduces life expectancy. The position of v

www.trueactivist.com...

Studies like this are well overdue. It has long been the common consensus among vegetarians that its more healthy not to eat meat but evidence was scant.

Eating meat in my opinion is an act of bullying against animals. It is puts a big strain on our biosphere. We can feed a lot more people with less land on vegetables...

Maybe one day you will get labels on meat products like you do on cigarettes... Warning may cause cancer..

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Do you partake in a glass or two of wine?

If so, you've almost certainly consumed frogs, birds, spiders, eggs, bugs, lizards etc etc.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I do not drink wine.. It does not agree with me. I am not preaching I am far from perfect. I am sitting here wearing a leather belt for example...

+56 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If it wasn't for the invention of cooking foods, meat in particular, we would not have evolved into the humans we are today. The discovery of cooking allowed the human to take on more energy from digestible cooked meats. This meant we had more energy to do other things like hunt and gather, pro create, whatever. It has been part of our evolution. It also increased the size of our brains which improved our intelligence

It's true that people probably eat too much processed meat today, but within moderation it will do you no harm and will do you good.

Here's some info

Without cooking, an average person would have to eat around five kilos of raw food to get enough calories to survive.
The daily mountain of fruit and vegetables would mean a six-hour chewing marathon.
It is already accepted that the introduction of meat into our ancestors' diet caused their brains to grow and their intelligence to increase.

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 20-3-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
frogs, bids, spiders in wine??? please explain.

ofcourse vego is best and i never fall ill. i agree with the op that (in this day and age of factory farming) partaking in consuming meat is animal bullying/abuse. only for the enlightened to understand though and it will take years to do undo the brainwashing from our fore fathers.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

No worries.

I just know of many self righteous individuals who, whilst ironically drinking wine, claiming how they're morally superior because they're vegetarian/vegan.

As someone who's worked in the wine industry, I know that whatever is hanging out in the vines during harvest ends up in the wine.

Unless it's hand picked of course....

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
while im sure you could live off veggies,nus and berries,but the truth is humans are omnivores. just look in the mirror at your teeth! molars for chewing,front teeth for tearing. and i do agree our meat today isnt that good for you due to all the crap their injected and fed, but 500 years ago the animals were 'normal'! we were designed to eat meat and veggies. i respect people's personal choice,but i sure like a good steak!!!

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
A diet that consists of only fruit and veg is only healthy for a short period of time so how it can help you live longer is beyond me(vegetarians are more prone to health problems because fruit and veg can only give you so much of what you need).
I've read many studies that actually say the complete opposite to this one so i'm guessing that these studies are done by people who have an agenda.(i'm guessing this study was done by vegetarians)

Animals are there for food and we are here as food for them too.The world is just one big cycle.

Lets not forget that meat eaters are smarter by the way as well.

''Standoff is over''? this seems nothing more then part of the stand off.
edit on 20/3/12 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Do you partake in a glass or two of wine?

If so, you've almost certainly consumed frogs, birds, spiders, eggs, bugs, lizards etc etc.

Hell I eat vegetables.

I also eat meat.

Why can't we just all grow our own?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

No, I think what you've been reading are die hard vegetarians who will beat you to death with a carrot, as long as it is unpeeled.

You see, pretty much most of the vegetarians I know, while being fruitloops, do know what their diet involves. You can get all the nutrient your body needs from vegetation, it's just not possible to do that unless you're a hippy rich tosser, and in this case you're likely to just be one of those unpeeled carrot bashers.

You don't just wake up and go "Im not eating meat!" because then you are getting into trouble. I mean, rabbit is meat, try living on rabbit alone for a year... RIP.

Vegetarianism is a result of society. And sometimes, I think, as sign how far we've come from being animals on this planet to being reliant of every single thing... You'd eat meat if that meat was going to eat you, and one of you had to eat.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Eating just veggies doesn't make you live longer.

It just SEEMS longer!

I'll take my meat and a side order of shorter lifespan, please.

Oh, and a nice Merlot with that. Thanks.
edit on 20-3-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Therefore veggies are totally against the planet. Bear with me on this!

We consume more than the planet can take and there are far too many of us. Therefore, realistically, we need to thin the numbers and not to live longer. That means veggies are condemning the planet to more people and they will live longer and therefore consume more.

Smokers, drinkers and meat eaters should, frankly, be given tax concessions (and medals!) for doing their bit to reduce numbers and save the planet.

I rest my case........

edit on 20-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I actually haven't eaten meat from the store for years. I do not agree that it is bulling animals. That is what they are raised for. But we have ours raised. I've been to the slaughter house. I know what goes into butchering of MY meat. I'm ok with that. I also raise my own veggies. I can everything.
If you want to be a vegan, I am fine with that. Just don't try to lecture me about where my meat comes from and all that. I actually know, from calf to table.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I do not care if you eat meat
do not care if you don't.
Just leave everyone alone.
If you want to PARTAKE then do so
if you don't DON'T..

What stand off is their?
The loonies who are trying
to outlaw meat are the only
problems.. You would call them
loonies if they tried to outlaw veggie only
diets..
Leave us alone

while you are all at it
make sure to NEVER use a cellphone
because it is probably giving you a brain tumor..

edit on 20-3-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

edit on 20-3-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

more illustrated

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

holy cow! (no pun intended) do you live close to the georgia guidestones?

by the way wheres my medal? i do all of that stuff!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Your "Stand-off" is not over. Firstly this study is implying alot, and it's a studying that clearly needs to be though-out before any hasty statements can be made. They were including things like bacon, sausages and other processed meats well known to be full of saturated fats and a few other nasties, but the meat itself, and the protien has nothing wrong with it. Just like with EVERY OTHER DAMN THING about dieting and food, its quantity yet again taking the cake (and I mean the whole cake), and yet the food is being attacked. Water is essential for life, yet you can still drown in it.

I'm not going to sit here and debate ethics with anyone - if you believe eating meat is wrong, your fully entitled to, and if you enjoy eating it, then by all means, but making bold statements that havent been thought out is wrong. Trying to justify your ethical decisions with science is just not right (possibly referring to another heavily-debated topic).

"If I ate red meat my whole life, and died a few years shorter than I should have, I'd die a happy man" - my tastebuds.

EDIT: It's interesting how its so hard to find the actual numbers, and not the "with an EXTRA daily dose" part, followed by some 'convincing' numbers. An extra daily dose of almost anything designed to be portioned is bad.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Acronychal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I choose to not eat animal flesh or animal products such as eggs and milk
My choice - Up to you what you choose

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Significantly reduced life times if red meat eaters.

Im pretty sure id have died along time ago from not eating anything

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join