It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Sea Level Likely to Rise as Much as 70 Feet for Future Generations. It has already begun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Even if humankind manages to limit global warming to 2 degrees C (3.6 degrees F), as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change recommends, future generations will have to deal with sea levels 12 to 22 meters (40 to 70 feet) higher than at present, according to research published in the journal Geology.

Sea levels won't get as high as depicted in this fanciful image for a long time. But a substantial rise is inevitable, Rutgers scientists say. (Credit: © Alaska-Tom / Fotolia)

Read the full paper here

Ocean level rise already begun:

Hawaiian Islands:

When researchers looked into the most significant threats to the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, the top threat was a slam dunk: rising seas. That’s because most of the islands of the northwestern end of the Hawaiian archipelago are low, sand and coral islands. A foot of sea level rise could erase entirely much of the dry land.

Read here

Kiribati and Tuvalu Islands:

Read here

And even Florida:

The entire coast of Florida is threatened by rising seas and stronger surges during storms, which is already having high economic costs. Looking ahead only 40 years, a study in 2007 by Tufts University and the Stockholm Environment Institute—US Center estimated that Florida’s average annual temperatures will be 5º F higher than today in 2050. Sea-level rise will reach 23 inches by 2050, and 45 inches by 2100. Maps in the report show an approximation of Florida’s coastline at 27 inches of sea-level rise, which is projected to be reached by around 2060 if little action is taken to control greenhouse gases.

Source:World View of Global Warming
edit on 20-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I have just been reading this on a different site. Certainly very interesting but i dispute the 70ft global sea level rise bit. All the latest research hints that it is local rather global sea levels that change significantly and that is actually more to do with glacial rebound than more water per say - that was actual the conclusion of a scientific report published last week.

The report also shows that temperatures have risen 0.75 degrees over the last 100 years. I am not really sure what to make of that - it has clearly risen but is that small amount natural variation or something more? I have to admit i was expecting a more pronounced rise so that figure has left me rather confused!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Good thing i live 1000 feet above sea level.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
that picture of the liberty statue is a joke.
for that to happen we would need an area the size of a continent to suddenly emerge out of the ocean lol

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
I have just been reading this on a different site. Certainly very interesting but i dispute the 70ft global sea level rise bit. All the latest research hints that it is local rather global sea levels that change significantly and that is actually more to do with glacial rebound than more water per say - that was actual the conclusion of a scientific report published last week.

The report also shows that temperatures have risen 0.75 degrees over the last 100 years. I am not really sure what to make of that - it has clearly risen but is that small amount natural variation or something more? I have to admit i was expecting a more pronounced rise so that figure has left me rather confused!

Yes, do you have a link for this study? I'd be interested to see what they say and to compare with the Geology paper!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Hi,

I am currently trying (and failing) to find the original source i got that from but i have found this in New Scientist (not everyone's favourite, i know).

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
that picture of the liberty statue is a joke.
for that to happen we would need an area the size of a continent to suddenly emerge out of the ocean lol

According to Life after people, it can happen in some hundred years or so. And why not.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I can't believe people are still on about global warming. There is nothing humans can do about it. The earth will change and has always and will always change climate wise.

The Volcano in Italy that is erupting right now is producing more co2 than humans could in a decade.

Move from the coasts if it worries you.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
It'll be ok.They can learn to swim or move inland.Either works for me

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
In the last 20.000 years since the last glacial maximum sea level has already risen about 120 meters (400 feet). During times, the sea level rise was much faster, than the one we observe today (currently the sea level rise is about 3-4mm per year). Our ancestors, plants and animals were able to survive this rapid sea level rise without much technological help and without a global warning system.
www.fws.gov...

Also the study seems only to use the Pliocene carbon dioxid levels for their temperature and sea level prognosis. But carbon dioxid is not the only factor effecting temperature. Among the greenhouse gases for example the effect of water vapor is stronger and other gases like methane effect the temperature much stronger on a molecule-for-molecule basis.
en.wikipedia.org...

Whatever actions humans might undertake to cope with climate change, it is a wishful fantasy to fixate the sea level on the current level. Islands and mainland areas which were only a few feet above the "then mean sea level" have been flooded in the past and other areas like the Maledives will be reclaimed by the sea in the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A high tide rise of even one meter would be devastating to much of the planet. Millions of people live close enough to the shoreline that raising the sea level by 3 feet would make a serious impact to their lives, mostly by forcing them to relocate. Raising it by an additional foot would probably double that number.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Then they should start moving now...like that bunch of idiots on New Orleans living below sea level in a Hurricane Alley

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenshrew
In the last 20.000 years since the last glacial maximum sea level has already risen about 120 meters (400 feet). During times, the sea level rise was much faster, than the one we observe today (currently the sea level rise is about 3-4mm per year).

This is total nonsense. I'm sure none of you are seafarers, but I am. I've spent all my life paying careful attention to the state of the tides, it's kind of important. Nothing has changed one millimeter in my short life.

The Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book has been printed for well over one hundred years. Look it up. In that time frame, according to all that "science" up there, it would have risen over 300 to 400 mm. I hate the retarded metric system, but that's another thread, still that would be something in inches, and it HAS NOT HAPPENED.

You can look at an island called Execution Rock in LI Sound. There is a stone building over four hundred years old. It was designed to put people they didn't like in cells that were dry at low tide yet underwater at high tide. You can see the tide marks from hundreds of years, adn they are still the same.

top topics

join