It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mining magnate Clive Palmer says CIA is behind campaign to kill coal industry: Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
news.c om.au

BILLIONAIRE Clive Palmer has made bizarre claims the CIA is backing green groups in a bid to kill the Australian coal mining industry.

And he appeared to suggest that US President Barack Obama was directly briefed on the sabotage.

Mr Palmer called a Brisbane press conference to declare that "an off-shore political power'' and the humanitarian organisation the Rockefeller Foundation were behind the attacks on mining.

He said the objective was to make American coal more competitive.

Mr Palmer said no outside country was funding his operations.

"The big difference is that this is funded by the CIA. That's the big difference,'' Mr Palmer told reporters.

"You only have to go back to read the Church report in the 1970s and read the reports to US Congress which sets up the Rockefeller Foundation as a conduit of CIA funding.

"You only have to look at the secret budget that was passed by Congress last year, bigger than our whole national economy, that the CIA's got to ensure that.

"You only have to read the reports to US Congress, where the CIA reported to the President (Obama), that their role was to ensure US competitive advantage and economic advantage.

"That's how you know it was funded by the CIA.''

The claims reach the outer limits of conspiracy theories and are certain to embarrass allies of Mr Palmer and severely reduce his political influence.

It is probable that any senior Liberal, including Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, will be reluctant to appear on the same platform as him.

Mr Palmer told reporters that he was "not here to do the American bidding'' and said he believed US figures wanted American coal to dominate Australian markets.

"So our jobs, our security, our exports, our balance of payments are transfered to North America when they could be coming for Australians,''Mr Palmer told reporters.

Some penetrating claims here by the billionaire but wouldn't totally surprise me at all if there was any truth to them. America is getting desperate to at least show some kind of improvement to their economy during election year, they have to knock down their competition one way or other. Even claims Obama is complicit on this 'sabotage' together with the CIA. Wonder if anything further will come from this.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

The big advantage to being a billionaire is that he wont care what people think about him.

But in order to become a billionaire one must have a pretty level head, I suspect their are more truths to his claims than falseness

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Level headed billionaire picking a fight with the CIA? Something doesn't smell right here. Maybe it's those dirty hippies at Greenpeace. Or maybe it's that dirty capitalist pig Clive Palmer. This has the makings of a good conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Beat me to it haha.

First off, it is evident throughout history that the CIA have had major involvements within the Australian Labor party, and it just so happens that the Labor party is close to the Greens.

www.american-buddha.com...

Furthermore, the Allies have made major decisions for Australia, which really pisses me off. We wanted nukes, even began building a nuke plant, which was then halted because the US said so. Can you imagine how powerful Australia could have been today?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This is posted on Main Stream Media Australia.news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by omega man

Must be disinfo then.

2nd

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
In terms of Greenpeace, they have placed a lot of attention of environmental criminals over the years with a good team of lawyers for those involved in protests. As an activist you may cope the occasional beating, but you will not spend any more than a day or two incarcerated. Higher up the ranks there does appear to be some conflicts of interest going on within the organisation with lots of money and media attention involved.

As for the media debate about the mining tax, I do have some concerns how there appears to be a lot of support for mining companies to keep a lot of the profits while taking resources out of Australia. With the Carbon tax, I approve putting pressure on developing more sustainable and healthy sources of energy.

As for the CIA, I expect them to protect American corporate interests. This story is still to young to know who to trust, but it is good to finally see some light getting shone on this dark organisation.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
i'm wondering whether this article was released before or after the announcement that a 30% tax is to be levied on iron ore and coal? interesting.
f

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Good question. But now we see why you guys got that levy. He openly admits a conspiracy between the CIA and private businesses.

The allies want Australia in there pocket to counter the growing influence to China. Imagine what the West would do if Australia and China got on good terms..

Very interesting. I wonder what's going to be said to counter this argument.
edit on 20-3-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Palmer has been in the MSM a lot here lately and has either been portrayed in a less than flattering light, or as I suspect, needs to see a psychiatrist and no more journalists.

* Picks a fight over how to run his soccer team i the A-League with another billionaire Frank Lowey.

* Sacks almost his entire management team at the Coolum resort he owns, a move which is overturned by the fair-work commission.

*Now this unusual tirade... keep watching Clive. I think there's more zany fun to come!

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I think if anyone believes Palmers claims they should seek psychiatric help.

Really.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

do you know that manfacturing and IT are being outsourced and mining is the lifeblood of the australian economy?

Without mining your nation will collapse.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas

do you know that manfacturing and IT are being outsourced and mining is the lifeblood of the australian economy?

Service industries make up the majority of our economy, mining profits go to the uber-rich and dont keep this nation afloat.

In fact mining is actully hurting the Australian economy, increased resource exports have inflated the value of the Australia dollar to the point where our primary producers can not afford to sell in the export market.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Made me laugh well put.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

check outsourcing of IT and manufacturing services.Australia has no comparative advantage or monopoly rent under these.Also cloud computing will put large parts of australian IT out of service. IT and manufacturing are globalised in nature but not mining.

Mining and agriculture are the one which has rickardian rents characteristics.

IT and services will be globalised in india.Manufacturing China. in long term australia will have to shift to mining .

edit on 25-3-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by marsend

what???

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I understand that this is already being discussed here, www.abovetopsecret.com...
CIA threatens Australian coal industry: Palmer

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

reply to post by cartenz

check outsourcing of IT and manufacturing services.Australia has no comparative advantage or monopoly rent under these.Also cloud computing will put large parts of australian IT out of service. IT and manufacturing are globalised in nature but not mining.

Mining and agriculture are the one which has rickardian rents characteristics.

IT and services will be globalised in india.Manufacturing China. in long term australia will have to shift to mining .

Im aware of the state of Australia's IT industry--I work in it. Yes there is outsourcing, but you still NEED techs and devs on-site. Also we are net importers of IT professionals.

Australia has never had a strong manufacturing sector, your mention of outsourcing manufacturing is moot.

as mentioned in my previous post, Australian primary producers are loosing out in the export market because of the high aussie dollar from mining. Australia has historically relied on our primary producers, so to destroy that industry for the short term greed by a few reality detached billionaires is counter-intuitive to long term economic stability.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

australia is ahead in cloud computing and cloud computing will destroy and shift IT jobs in the long term.

www.information-age.com...

www.information-management.com...

and australia is ahead in development of cloud computing:

www.sys-con.com...

Say bye to your IT jobs sooner or later. Don't whine or cry about indians ,because I am an indian myself and have warned you.
www.ideationcloud.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

reply to post by cartenz

Say bye to your IT jobs sooner or later. Don't whine or cry about indians ,because I am an indian myself and have warned you.

I have a stable job, Im not threatened by the growing IT sector in India. But thanks for the warning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join