It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan takes parents to court to force chemotherapy on 10yo boy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Jacob, then 9 years old, was diagnosed with cancer. A tumor was successfully removed surgically, and follow-up treatment included radiation and chemotherapy. Although a PET scan indicated that none of the cancer had returned, it was recommended that Jacob receive additional radiation and chemotherapy. Jacob and his parents did not believe that further treatment was necessary.

When they refused the additional radiation and chemotherapy, the state of MIchigan took them to court on charges of "medical neglect" and tried to force the family to get the radiation and chemotherapy.

At the subsequent trial, the judge ruled that this is a physician-patient issue and that court intervention should not be necessary. Basically, he ruled in favor of the family.

Now, In spite of the fact that Jacob has had three "clean" PET scans indicating that he remains cancer-free, the state has appealed the ruling, opened a CPS case on the family, and continues to try to force a healthy child and his family to submit to a treatment plan that admittedly 30% of children do not survive (5-year survival).

... Michigan Department of Human Services continues to attempt to prosecute this family for medical neglect. If they succeed they will force Jacob to resume chemotherapy despite the fact that the drugs in question are not FDA approved (either for children in general or for this particular cancer). Moreover, these drugs do not promise anything close to a guaranteed cure. And, the FDA requires the drug manufacturers to disclose that these drugs cause new cancers to form, heart disease in children, failure to sexually mature, and many other serious side effects in some cases.

Original story HERE.
Update with information about the appeal HERE.

My commentary:

What the HELL?

This is not a foster child, or a child in DHS custody. As far as I can tell from what I've read, this is a normal family with healthy children they home-school, and there were no problems until Jacob got cancer.

The recommended treatment was followed initially, and for a change it was successful. Jacob is cancer-free.

Where does the State of MIchigan (or any governmental type authority) get off trying to intervene and force unnecessary and dangerous medical treatments on a child against both the child's wishes and the wishes of his parents?

Not only is this possibly a medical conspiracy in the sense that the additional recommended treatments for Jason will net the providers $60,000 per month for 6 months, it is also a horrible (in my opinion) violation of parental and civil rights.

As a responsible adult of "sound mind" and my own guardian, I have the right to refuse medical treatment, and have in fact done so. My cholesterol was a "little high" and my doctor wanted me to take a statin. I refused and have instead followed a dietary plan and taken garlic and other supplements. I'm happy to report that in one year I've lowered my cholesterol significantly and my doctor is pleased.

But, back to the issue at hand: Since when do parents not have the right to refuse questionable or risky treatments for their minor child? If Jacob had an active, growing tumor and the parents were refusing to do anything about it, I could maybe see it. But the child's had THREE clean PET scans. He doesn't have cancer now! If his parents don't think he needs another six months of damaging radiation and chemotherapy, I think the state should leave them the hell alone.

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
They should move the hell out of Michigan while the first judges ruling is still in effect. They opened a CPS case against them these agencies are rogue criminals and if they stay the family will lose in the end. If it were me and the state won I would literally kill everyone of the people involved at the state and CPS level.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

i agree. how is this any different than attempted kidnapping and child abuse by michigan? CPS are evil. they think they're doing good, but they're completely misinformed and think they know better than every parent.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hhott

wow. this is too much, really. before you know it people will be charged with neglect if they let their kids stay up past their bedtime.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'm not really sure if moving out of the state will make a difference. Another state might not pursue it, but then again they might.

I suppose running away is a possible solution, but really they shouldn't have to. I think, in a way, if they move to avoid this they are "losing" the battle and possibly setting a precedent.

I wish and hope they will WIN in the courts and set that precedent instead.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhott
I'm not really sure if moving out of the state will make a difference. Another state might not pursue it, but then again they might.

I suppose running away is a possible solution, but really they shouldn't have to. I think, in a way, if they move to avoid this they are "losing" the battle and possibly setting a precedent.

I wish and hope they will WIN in the courts and set that precedent instead.

And risk your sons life by rolling the dice in a corrupt system? Sorry not worth it! There are states that do not do this sort of thing. Its not running it's moving to a state that has more freedom. In my state CPS cannot do anything without a court order. These a-holes in Michigan lost the case in court but CPS is harrasing the family anyway.

top topics

join