It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An analogy for the Elite - Dungeon Masters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hi,

Mods please feel free to move this if you feel another forum is better...wasn't exactly sure which one to put it under!

I was thinking the other day about how the elite might view people in general and it reminded me of when I used to play Dungeons & Dragons...

To clarify...

For those of you who have never played a role playing game, you have a dungeon master (DM) and players. The DM will have the module (book/script if you like) for that particular game which contains the general plot of the game - where the treasure is and where the monsters are etc etc. The players then decide what they want to do and where they want to go and the game changes depending on their choices.

Now, a DM who has the whole facts about the story knows exactly where the rooms with treasure are and where the monsters are. I have been a DM a few times and you get a funny sort of superiority because you know what is going to happen generally before the players do.

I feel that it's not that much different to what the Elite must feel. They hold all the cards, we are always one step behind them. Do they look at us like a DM looks at the players?? Do they find enjoyment in perhaps giving us tidbits about our true history and then see what we do from there? Is the world to them a great big game??

I think so. I mean, how boring would it be if you knew all the answers to something and the other people involved have absolutely no idea about it?? You'd want to throw them a crumb to make things interesting.

Anyway, what do you all think?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
LOL you get a star just for cracking me up with that. Dungeon masters lol. YES!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Props for the D and D reference. Yes I think you're right in a sense. And sometimes there are crazy dm's that enjoy killing off characters.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well played.

I agree.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Haha glad you liked it!

So, taking this to the next logical step...we have to find out who the elite version of Gary Gyax is!

Speaking of him....(RIP) I played a few of his modules as a player (Temple of elemental evil) which was really cool and also lasted maybe 10 minutes in Tomb of horrors haha.

Haven't played in a few years now though alas!

top topics

join