It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison for recording a cop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I just think this law is a little outdated. Especially with all of the corrupt cops who use excessive force these days. Iphones and androids are a great tool for recording any type of encounter with a five o. And I think knowing your rights is really important in todays society.

fox news

Chris Drew was looking for trouble on Dec. 2, 2009, when he set out on Chicago’s State Street to sell art without a permit. He was not looking for the amount of trouble he found. Drew was carrying an Olympus digital voice recorder. Police had no idea that he was recording the arrest. When you record police, prosecutors or judges in Illinois without their consent, it is a class one felony, punishable by 15 years in prison.

“We weren’t listening in on anything private. We were all public, in public," Drew said. "So by the very definition of eavesdropping, I could not imagine there was an eavesdropping law that made it illegal to listen in on a public conversation.” He got a break, at least for the moment.

video.foxnews.com...The hurdles will come from prosecutors and police. The Illinois Fraternal Order of Police issued a statement saying: “By allowing the audio/video recording of witnesses and victims without their knowledge or consent, there will be a chilling effect on witnesses coming forward…There will be victims who are re-victimized.

And, there will be tragic split seconds, where a pointed cellphone will be mistaken for a pointed gun.” Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on Mon Mar 19 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
They will try and pull this tommorrw with the IL cacuas. Just watch...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The very claim of that law's existence is BS.

www.infowars.com... - Alex describes there that Illinois tried to put someone else away for life for doing it as well.

If this guy isn't in custody yet, his way forward is relatively simple. I wouldn't set foot inside a courtroom, but if they have sent him a notice or summons, he should respond to it with a request for proof of claim that said law exists.

A court order is presumably different, but a notice is an offer of contract. You haven't actually accepted said contract until you go into court, cross the dock, and give the judge your name. Once you've done that, you're largely screwed. The longer you can stay out of that room, and the more you can deal with the issue via mail, the better.
edit on 19-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join