It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Anti-Terror Troops Arrive in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.
Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I really don't know what to say about this...I'm at a loss for words.

Please comment.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thats Not Good ............Is about all I can
say right now.

Computations are running wild in my brain.

EDIT abc news

edit on 19-3-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Russia has a navy base in Tartus so it's not really a stretch to have a Russian ship arrive there. The linked story is contradictory though as to whether it's a military unit or an advisory group. Probably the same thing depending on who you talk to anyway. At any rate, I don't have problem with Russia being there as long as the Syrians don't.

Funniest response to the story btw:

Putin was spotted swimming alongside the fleet, surrounded by dolphins.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WmassCrooner

the Putin jokes are great...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If nothing else, this really complicates the Western-proposed "intervention" in Syria that we seemed to be heading for. Stepping in to "intervene" in Syria, on the pretext of humanitarian reasons, can no longer be construed as "protecting human life", but will be seen as an Act of War against Russia.

The potential implications are staggering...
but this is just one move on the chess board. Your turn now, Obama.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

it appears the west has already made its moves.

by Russia entering Syria in such a public manner...the message to the nations that blocked the Security Council resolutions regarding Syria...

either you handle the problem or someone else will.

Russia has decided its time to remove Assad themselves...someone has to do it.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
remove assad?
im not so sure

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
I really don't know what to say about this...I'm at a loss for words.

Please comment.

Sounds like Russia is about to embark on its own war on terror. And of course the terrorists are there where Russian interests are at stake.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I know someone on another forum who just came back from visiting Syria and they said it's normal over there as in you wouldn't know there was anything 'violent' going on. He also said the people there are very pro-government and that the rebels are killing innocent people, that they aren't the majority and they aren't protestors. So to me, it sounds like terrorists, or trained operatives trying to overthrow the Syrian regime. It looks like Russia also realizes this to be the case, and after seeing it happen in Libya, they are stepping in before it happens again.

Go here and read what he says... scroll down til you get to OmobonoTognon's post... link
edit on 20-3-2012 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
We all know the term russian surgical strike is an oxymoron.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Russia is playing a sort of brinksmanship game with Syria:

If Assad stays and things settle down then Russia will have earned a long-term friend in the region. Maybe even expect the Russian presence there to increase to include a new southern military base. Vice-versa, is Assad falls, then Russia has a diplomatic and political mess to deal with.

If I was gambling man I'd put my money on Putin.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
About damn time

Better having russian troops then Nato troops

Putin

Good to have you back

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
I know someone on another forum who just came back from visiting Syria and they said it's normal over there as in you wouldn't know there was anything 'violent' going on. He also said the people there are very pro-government and that the rebels are killing innocent people, that they aren't the majority and they aren't protestors. So to me, it sounds like terrorists, or trained operatives trying to overthrow the Syrian regime. It looks like Russia also realizes this to be the case, and after seeing it happen in Libya, they are stepping in before it happens again.

Go here and read what he says... scroll down til you get to OmobonoTognon's post... link
edit on 20-3-2012 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

So what of all the news of indiscriminate shelling against civillians, the many Syrians who speak out against Assad on CNN and Fox?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I wonder if these are the same troops that quelled the Chechen terrorists/rebels so good?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by moderateAmerican

You mean the Russian army?

new topics

top topics

join