It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's rattling small Wisconsin town

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razor84
reply to post by Glinda

As for the "sonic booms", I don't believe I've ever heard one myself, but I can picture where she was going with her description of the noise, and I can picture in my head what it sounded like. If she really does know what a sonic boom sounds like, that noise coming from underground would be terrifying, not to mention in the dead of night. But we shouldn't worry, it's probably just ice melting

That is why I posed the question. A sonic boom is very distinct and as far as I know there is nothing else that sounds like it. Depending on the proximity of it, it can even hurt a little, especially in the chest. I also do not know of any other way to create one other than mass and velocity. Rifle bullets can create a sonic boom but they do not have the same effect. But where I was going with the question is that it could rule in/out a few things depending on whether it was or was not a sonic boom.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I lived closed to JPL, so I have heard a sonic boom. It's pretty erie.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Theoretically, if it was in fact a sonic boom (or multiple sonic booms actually), and at night no less, it might actually be coming from the sky, but still be able to be felt like it's coming from underground, as a sonic boom could probably do quite a bit of shaking of homes and such. Because why would a sonic boom be underground?

But if multiple sonic booms are heard over a town, one half of the town is just for some reason not going to hear it, while the other half does.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Steve Dutch, a geologist at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, said the ground beneath them is solid, and that there are no known earthquake fault lines in the area. Dutch said he heard some people worrying that a sinkhole might open up and swallow homes. That can happen in areas where the ground is rich with limestone and other low-density rocks that can be dissolved by water, he said. But the rock below Clintonville is mainly solid granite that's largely impermeable. However, he speculated that water and granite could hold the key to the mystery. Granite has small cracks that water can fill, but if the underground water table falls especially low, water can seep out, leaving gaps that cause the rocks to settle and generate loud noises. "Maybe the very dry winter caused more water to be removed from the water table, either through pumping or natural flow," he said. A seismic station near Clintonville, a town of about 4,600 people about 40 miles west of Green Bay, has recorded unusual ground shaking since Sunday night. Scientists say such activity can be caused by mining and heavy truck traffic, but since there are no mines or major construction in the area, the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey will take a closer look at the data.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

If there are seismometers picking this up, then it's likely an earth process of some kind. And that could mean a few possibilities. Let the speculation flow... Earthquakes, slow slip, ancient volcano rumbling....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am about 50 miles Northwest of Clintonville. I am at the southern tip of Lincoln county. The night of the 19th at about or around 10:30, we heard some odd sounds. My family and I did not feel any vibrations, but we heard them. We were in the process of putting on a new steel roof on our house. The contractor had left several 20 by 5 foot sheets propped against the side of the house, and stuck into our wet ground. Around 10:30pm it sounded like someone was thumping the steel sheets with a padded drum stick. We are way out in the woods so I thought it was a critter at first. I went out to see what it was and saw nothing. It was not the wind, or an animal, I think it was the weird rumble some 50 miles southeast of us. The sounds the sheets made seemed to come in two waves. The first was rather loud the second sounded slightly less intense. I can't rule out wind completely but it was just uncharacteristic, and tripped me as odd. My dog who normally would be wanting to come with me outside (especially if I take the 12 gauge), was hiding underneath my kitchen table quite spooked. My dog loves thunder storms, and has been around gun fire since he was a pup. There was no train rolling through that night either....strange.
edit on 22-3-2012 by pastandpresent because: southeast

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Two questions about this:

--If it was granite settling hard enough to generate very loud booms heard all the way on the surface, wouldn't there be at least *tiny* seismic activity associated with it? There seems to be none in WI recently, not even tiny little mag 1's.

--If this was granite settling, why has it not happened before in recent history where the winters and/or summers have been much dryer than this year, and why would it happen only on one day (or roundabout) and then stop, only to appear a few days later in a town down the road, again, only for one day? That would have to be a *very* rapid retreat of water to make so many cracks drain at all once over a large area, booming every few hours for a whole day, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Two questions about this:

--If it was granite settling hard enough to generate very loud booms heard all the way on the surface, wouldn't there be at least *tiny* seismic activity associated with it?

I would think so, yes. But the problem comes when the propagation in such a case is just outside what the nearest seismic station can detect. Events in a very localized area like a 2 km diameter circle could well go undetected if the nearest seismic station is 30 or 40 km away, and if the events are small enough. So the question becomes: Could the events be small enough not to be detected, and yet big enough to cause some local disturbance? But once it was announced that signatures had been detected, that changes things a bit. And that is why:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

--If this was granite settling, why has it not happened before in recent history where the winters and/or summers have been much dryer than this year, and why would it happen only on one day (or roundabout) and then stop, only to appear a few days later in a town down the road, again, only for one day? That would have to be a *very* rapid retreat of water to make so many cracks drain at all once over a large area, booming every few hours for a whole day, don't you think?

Yes, good points. And it may well be something else, now that events apparently have been detected on at least one seismic station- and if the RSOE report is accurate.
edit on Thu Mar 22nd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Also, the mere fact that they are having to rent seismic sensors shows that may be exactly what's happening. Could be microquake activity- not strong enough to be felt 30 km away.
edit on Thu Mar 22nd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Underground Booms Rattle Wisconsin Town For Fourth Night

Mysterious Booms Spread To Second Town

(PrisonPlanet.com)-Residents 80 miles away report strange earth tremors

Mysterious booms that have rocked the town of Clintonville, Wisconsin have spread to another town 80 miles away. Police in Montello received reports of similar earth tremors at 5:30am this morning.

www.prisonplanet.com...

Video located at above mentioned link^^

Being from WI myself,its something to keep an eye on,personally.
I havent heard any of this where I reside,if I do,i'll be sure to post it here.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I was just alerted to this news piece....

Turns out, USGS has confirmed a 1.5 mag EQ in Clintonville...

Here is the link:

USGS has confirmed Clintonville EQ

News conference at 6PM today.

edit on 22-3-2012 by BeavX because: added information

edit on 22-3-2012 by BeavX because: speling

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Star, thanks! Nice to have people with better-than-average equipment and the curiosity to use it! Will be monitoring that other thread. Good stuff.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone actually recorded the sound itself yet? People managed to record the sky noise, why not this too?

Suspicious really.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It appears the booms are back...

Some claim they are even louder.

Here's the latest:

Booms are back in Clintonville

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeavX
It appears the booms are back...

Some claim they are even louder.

Here's the latest:

Booms are back in Clintonville

I hope it keeps going louder and louder, until all the "skeptics" and "debunkers" start to hear it inside their own homes in every part of the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join