It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality TV brings an Ancient sport back to life.... (Full Metal Jousting)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Theres a new series on History channel which looks quite interesting...

The return of horse jousting Medieval style...

Long gone are the days when knights proved themselves in this sport... Once upon a time it was the sport of kings. Now its turned into the next reality show...

I sense the return of real blood sport sometime in our future... We're slowly heading down this path, and eventually the TV audience will call for Death...

I admit im curious about this show, it might be quite entertaining... but what is next? Sword fights? Real Gladiator battles and fights to the death all filmed live, brought to you for your entertainment... in your living room?

Who knows...

www.history.com...

edit on 19-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This show is awesome, there is nothing better than going as fast as you can and crashing into another human. I can't believe it took them this long to bring back jousting (at least to television)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
america models itself after the roman empire and parts of the third reich. so gladiator battles wouldn't be a stretch.

but right now boxing is a close as you'll get. and if a mayweather/pacquaio bout doesn't get the blood going, check if you have a pulse.

the electricity in the air an hour before a mega-bout is one of the rare treats the world has to offer.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
those lances look a bit flimsy and wheres the knights fighting hand to hand to decide the match if both get knocked off their horses and popping a knife between the eye slit in the helmet to finish off an enemy?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I liked "Knights of Mayhem", even though there were some ego issues.

I have to say the FMJ mounts have had better training and the longer bouts are nice.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would be interested in watching this, provided adequate rules and safeguards are in place. I would even watch gladiator fights if they could guarantee no serious injuries. If this is the direction "reality" shows are taking, I'm in.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
This show is awesome, there is nothing better than going as fast as you can and crashing into another human. I can't believe it took them this long to bring back jousting (at least to television)

Oh, yeah! "Awesome!" Humanity at its peak.
Think about the physics of doing that feat. I saw a preview. Given two horse at full throttle about 20mph each, combined for 40mph, and getting a direct hit in the head or chest with a blunt instrument. Somebody will stand a very good chance of a damaged organ, broken neck or crushed chest. No doubt hey will seriously injure or kill somebody before long.

But I guess that would be "awesome" too?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

It's not like that man...

Jousting is the oldest competitive sport on earth.. Gladiator battles are about survival... Jousting is about being a champion...

Huge difference.

top topics

join