It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Anti-Terror Troops Arrive in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Russian Anti-Terror Troops Arrive in Syria

abcnews.go.com

A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Now the Russian Black Sea fleet's Iman tanker has arrived in the Syrian port of Tartus on the Mediterranean Sea with an anti-terror squad from the Russian Marines aboard according to the Interfax news agency. The Assad government has insisted it is fighting a terrorist insurgency. The Russian news reports did not elaborate on the Russian troops' mission in Syria or if they are expected to leave the port.
edit on 19-3-2012 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Looks like the Russians are the first with boots on the ground, who will be next? I certainly didn't see this coming but I'm not really surprised to be honest. Russia to the rescue, but for who? What I am surprised about is how I haven't seen this reported on TV yet, just found this on the internet. Seems like a pretty big development in the region. Keep your eyes open folks!

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
On second thought I redact my comment. Sorry, just don't have anything to add.

Except that I don't really trust ABC News.
edit on 19-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
that should put a wrench in the UN war machine gears eh. i wouldn't be a bit surprised if most of the killing going on is either fake or done by undercover UN forces.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Someone beat ya to it and already posted this, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Someone beat ya to it and already posted this, www.abovetopsecret.com...
Ahh my bad, I'm usually better with these things. Breaking Political News needs to be added to the myATS page! Feel free to close the thread Mods.
edit on 19-3-2012 by concernedcitizen519 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Other than ABC news there are no other confirmations. Other sites which have posted the news refer to ABC link.

Ria Novosti has the news but only in the Arabic version. So no confirmation yet. Mere 10 troops to guard a ship is much different than a small brigade of 250 men. ABC might just be trying to win points over other networks.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

No worries, happens to us all.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If Russian counterintelligence teams are 'helping' to find subversive, reactionaries, agitators, and dissidents; then the people they will find are the one's our western new sources have been telling us are "the poor oppressed good guys." This is the game... and we all (especially the Syrian people) are going to be "played" either way.

This is preemptive alright. It closes the door on many scenarios. And opens only one that no one wants to engage in.... world war.

edit on 19-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The trumpets have silenced

--------------------------------------------------------

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Well ... this is interesting.

I disagree with the article's point about the USA and West "trying to start another war". This is another war! people are dying, and foreign troops are on the ground, except this time overtly.

I think when President Bush said: "You are either with us or against us" is when foreign policy was made up. America was now facing a multinational multifacetted organization with supporters in many countries. However, America had interviened many many many times over the decades and influenced many nations in that region. Syria is preemptive for an attack on Iran. Period. The dominos falling and instability in the region is ... a tactical advantage.

32 years ago, in 1980, the first question posed at the presidential debates between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan was about Afghanistan and Iran. Just sayin America has had these countries on their radar for a long long time. Covertly things happen. And, you and I my fellow ATSers ... Apparently we do not have a need to know.

Russian troops in Syria. Well .... technically there are billions of people closer to Syria than I am. Hopefully they can do something to regain prosperity and stability ... though I don't believe that is the total objective.

These are some of my serious thoughts on this particular issue.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well this is SO two faced since the Russians voted against boots on the ground. I am extremely concerned over this. Not so much as with the Russians being there now but what Obama and his chums will do next. Send in US troops? I say let the Russians be there and if any of them should get killed then Assad is going to find a very angry Russian Bear roaring at him. This could backfire spectacularly for Assad. The Russians wont be able to blame the West as there will be no other troops there.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Russian troops in Syria. Well .... technically there are billions of people closer to Syria than I am. Hopefully they can do something to regain prosperity and stability ... though I don't believe that is the total objective.

These are some of my serious thoughts on this particular issue.

September-November if not then its 2nd month of '13
Keep that in mind
o καιρός γαρ εγγύς

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
1 step closer for a world war on a mass scale of happening.
America has no other choice but to inject there own ground
troops since their al queda squads are getting their butt kicked
out of the country. Go Russia go and save the day
from the big bad America!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Russia voted against a "boots on the ground" UN mandated insurrection. They have every right to station troops at their military base/port inside Syria. We do not, and likely wont, know if they have been assigned to help Assad crack down on these peaceful protesters (by peaceful the west means coordinated and armed)

In my opinion, they are stating loud and clear that they will protect their military interests in Syria. Also to throw a monkey wrench in the Wests plans. Further, partly a retaliation for ignoring their pleas to stop the missile shield perhaps?
edit on 19-3-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
One has come and has since gone, the other stands firm.

May 8, 2007

America has enough enemies in the world; we don't need another one in Russia. Yet much of the recent media and political commentary on the Eurasian giant comes across as one sided, without nuance and unnecessarily alarmist. Russia is not our ally, but it is also not our foe. Of course, we can provoke a greater hostility if we really work on it. But doing so is plainly against our national interest.

Indeed, national interest is exactly the light under which U.S.-Russian relations should be examined. As Lord Palmerston said of England in the 19th Century, a great nation does not have permanent allies or permanent foes. That only sounds cynical; in fact, it is the basis for building serious, open-eyed cooperation that must benefit both countries.

www.russiablog.org...
edit on 19-3-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Whatever the case things certainly seem to be heating up in a hurry. Maybe those fear-mongerers are right and something big is planned to happen very soon, maybe not. Either way, Russian technical advisors are already on the ground and have been for a while, now you have actual military servicemen on the ground. It's only a matter of time before the U.S. decides to send their "peace keeping" soldiers to make sure Russia isn't playing both sides (which we all know they are, but hey, who isn't?).

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join