It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When are we going to stop making ourselves look like a punchline?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I ask this as an honest question. I firmly believe the only way we can get to the bottom of this (and that is if the government is hiding something) is to make sure this subject is not a laughable joke. Reading the website in this section on even the first page makes me cry, and many others interested in the truth, stomachs turn.

So I ask, when will we man up, realize that the majority that speaks for us makes us look like morons? Whether it is folks who dvr the ancient alien theories, or the folks that dvr the old ufo hunters.......not the way we need to present ourselves to the world.

What we need is a good PR campaign, might take a decade of internet saturation and then a decade to soak in, but after 20-30 years we might have Joe public on our side and that will give us the weight we need to pursue this subject politically. NOTHING can hide politically when the public demands the truth. Right now, if a ufo flew over a massive populated area, and there were many witnesses, anyone that saw a news link on a major website would be taken here. or worse, glp, Here.,,,where morons post youtube videos daily, and people cry about fake moon landings, we look like fools. The folks we need on our side dip their toes into the water, realize it isn't for them and NEVER COME BACK AGAIN, lost to the ether, never again bothering to give us their attention that we need to pursue this subject, and when they see us on the news they laugh and change the channel. Just what the PTB want. Even worse, they vehemently discourage anyone remotely interested form investigating this online.

You guys need to understand, outside of your little world, we look like idiots. Maybe a few percent of the crazy stories are true, maybe not. But the signal to noise ratio is what is HOLDING US BACK.

If you guys want the truth, then work towards making the truth acceptable to the average Joe. I don't care if you leave out the things that are important to you, if they make us look like idiots, then LEAVE IT OUT.

So many of you are politically savvy, but you fail to realize that we need that to make our beloved subject move onto the next level. WE ARE HOLDING OURSELVES BACK, NOT SOME SECRET CABAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we all realize that common sense, reason and logic will move this subject forward, then we can expect results, but in the meantime we have to put up with the ignorance that contribute to the signal to noise ratio that make newscaster laugh at the end of every forced ufo story.

Help us, please.

The only sad thing is there are many people who will reply to me that I am some debunker or shill (not so many now that I pointed it out...but those that still do are not worth your time, as they don't understand what I just said).

I don't care if you know the "nordics" want to rape us all, you might consider starting a little smaller and getting the world on your side before tossing that amazing tidbit out there.

If you believe there is going to be "disclosure" then you must understand the massive amount of PUBLIC PRESSURE necessary to bring that about. Live in your world, think what you say is important, but in the end, unless you CHANGE THE CLIMATE, your wasting your time.

You guys would be surprised what I believe. And trust me, my belief is not based on some bs internet bulletin board, my family and I have been involved in the military industrial complex for 45 years. And in that time (since 1978, when I was old enough to matter) I have only received an answer to my consistent questions that made any sense. He said "what does it matter what I tell you, they have ensured that anyone who repeats what I say looks like a moron".

Think about what I say, and for crying out loud, take action on it. sure, we will look like "attention seeking whores"now, but if you give a crap over the next decade, but the lack of idiocy will only help our cause. Don't bother reply to youtube superstar videos, or anything that doesn't have MASSIVE ancillary evidence. If you do, your shooting yourself in the foot. Even if you reply to a thread to point out how ridiculous the op is, your only supplying clicks to a business that depends on ignorance to survive. Notice how the most outlandish threads seem to get the most view and comments? That should tell you something.

There is a reason why some other boards are beating ATS when it comes to clicks...and that is they support and promote ignorance. If you guys are cool with that, then great, enjoy the ride.

I FIRMLY believe there is something to this aliens/ufo thing. Nothing groundbreaking and nothing that big of a deal like a crashed ship, but i think there are those "in the know" that might be able to get attention if we can collectively reduce the if idiotic signal to noise ratio (seriously, read the first page in this forum I dot; care if you read it 10-15 years from know, you will get my point...)

Now if I take my own advice, I wont bother to reply to any thread that is obvious bunk or OP ignorance, so if all of us do that we let this place turn into GLP. Those that don't are called shills. So do we let this subject get owned by the absurd for the next 30 or so years int he name of profit, or do we take control? I mean, seriously read the ancient alien's threads (among others)....I have NEVER seen a greater public display of willful ignorance that those threads. I say willful, because you can EASILY learn very realistic and viable alternatives to the moronic and easy to say phrase "aliens did it". Might as well say something as stupid as "god did it" if you don't want to bother understanding reality.

And I'm banned and this thread is erased in 5...4....3..2.

The only thing that matters here is clicks though, so my words are wasted.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The solution is to split the forum into 2:

*Sightings Evaluation and Analysis
*UFO Lore Role Play (The home of Alien emissaries Alien star children).

Most threads split into one or the other quite readily.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

And I'm banned and this thread is erased in 5...4....3..2.

yep, its comments like that that will make sure no one takes you seriously. Kind of ironic seeing how your entire post is about people doing similar things.

Very few people on this site agree about anything. It sounds like you just want people who don't believe what you believe to shut up. Who are you to decide what's truth and what's not?
And I hate to break it to you, but the truth sounds crazy and dumb. Censoring all of the crazy and dumb things said on this site will surely lead to the truth being covered up.
Do you and I visit the same site? The majority attack any "out there" idea already.
The majority on this Earth are very dumb. Want to censor the vast majority on the internet period?

When we all realize that common sense, reason and logic will move this subject forward

Really? Because people in the scientific community will laugh at any mentioning of UFOs and aliens being present on Earth. I don't know how reason and logic will move this topic forward.

Lastly, Stop the presses!!!! People are saying crazy things on a conspiracy forum!

edit on 19-3-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I really don't think it matters what anyone on this board thinks or types , I don't see how that changes the outside perception of the UFO subject .

There is also the fact that for every post made here there are arguments made for both sides of the topic discussed , so anyone reading from outside will see both sides of the argument and come to there own conclusion . no matter how crazy the subject matter may at first appear .

You guys need to understand, outside of your little world, we look like idiots.

I don't care , and how do you know I live in a little world

If you guys want the truth, then work towards making the truth acceptable to the average Joe.

The average Joe is more concerned with his and his own to give a dam about the existence or non existence of ET .

So many of you are politically savvy, but you fail to realize that we need that to make our beloved subject move onto the next level.

How do you propose we do that , and what is the next level ?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I know what you're saying but you're wasting your time to be honest. I think the only way we'll know if aliens are indeed real is if they make full on contact, ie visits all over the world. I don't know if they even exist, who could?

I don't like how you mentioned the ancient aliens thread. At the end of the day no-one knows what happened there! Not you, not any one! Perhaps slaves did it, perhaps a human race with unknown tech, perhaps aliens or yeah maybe god did it! No-one knows! Because no-one knows, ideas are thrown out there, thats all it is. Sometimes they are plausible, sometimes crazy and sometimes funny. It is what it is.

I've often thought that perhaps the whole alien thing is a distraction to just keep people entertained, so they don't investigate things that are happening in the political realm. I don't know but it certainly eats up a lot of peoples time.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I hate to break it to anyone who still thinks it's the big bad government's fault we don't know the truth about aliens, or that some kind of cute grass-roots movement might bring disclosure, but here's the truth:

If aliens wanted to announce themselves to the world, they'd do so. No earthly government could keep this a secret if E.T. really wanted to make themselves known.

So. Either there are no aliens or they're not too concerned about the entire earth's populace knowing of their existence. So I would suggest investing in practical things that really do matter rather than hypotheticals that don't.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You will not find the truth on ATS.

ATS has a proven track record of ignoring scientific research in favor of sensationalized story telling.

If you are looking for knowledge, you can go to school, read peer reviewed scientific journals, and above all else, do your own experimentation and research.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis

So I ask, when will we man up, realize that the majority that speaks for us makes us look like morons?
Speak for yourself. The simple fact that some others may share some of the same opinions as you do, does not mean that you should allow them to speak for you.

The flawed act of presumptuous categorization has become far too common.

Originally posted by MainLineThis

There is a reason why some other boards are beating ATS when it comes to clicks...and that is they support and promote ignorance. If you guys are cool with that, then great, enjoy the ride.
The words 'Deny Ignorance' may be printed on every page here, but any action of doing so, occurs nowhere near as often as it should.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You must have missed the overwhelming evidence in this video. The masses are awakened. Voila.

Friend of mine works for NASA, he gave me this video because he believes the public needs to know the truth about the moon!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.
edit on March 19th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
You must have missed the overwhelming evidence in this video. The masses are awakened. Voila.

While that video had some nifty music behind it, it proved, or even "evidenced".....

....precisely nothing.

Surprise.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think this is sometimes half the problem : threads like this that are putting forward points that are reasonable just get thrown out of the forum. If this had've been left in aliens ufo's it might've got a decent debate going and offered some help/solutions.

Agreed with the OP anyway, and I think a few things that help are :

Try and maintain a high standard with your posts.
Try and maintain a high standard if you're researching and remember to check and quote sources.
Try and avoid getting into arguments with people who you think are trolling threads up as it's only increasing the noise ratio.
Realise you don't know anything and don't be one sided.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
S+F for you OP, Dont totally agree with all your points, but enough that I find your rant relevant and at least warranted, if not necessary.

While I agree with you on the premise that we should raise our standars to a more reputable caliber, there is nothing to be done about the culture that lurks ATS, it was here before us, it will be here after us.

I mean you act like this is, some kind of hasbeen/ oncewas hard hitting reputable top notch, MSM site. The name Above Top Secret alone, was more than enough to turn me off for about 5 years, before I ever even opened a single link I ever got from this site. About a year ago I did actually read a thread, then 2, then 20....now I am here about daily most of the time. That is just me though, and most are far less forgiving than I am.

Besides, it isnt like we control anything here at ATS. TPTB ( mods/ site owners) can make or break anything at will, with or without our approval and or permission. If they ( the ones with the ability to make any actual changes) wanted to transform this site, into somthing resembling your assperations. I would sugest at minimum a name change. than a serious overhaul of their threads section, I have never seen such sloppy housekeeping, I would automatically close out all threads older than a year, instead of the mods telling me they moved my modern relevant thread to a dead one that is 8 years old just because it is already there, well ya but nobody has even refrenced it in 8 years, lets um..I dont know.....try to make it so that just because some guy posted it 10 years ago doesnt mean that everyone here today doesnt want to kick the old thread around again.

Or even, a fact checking points system, that after so many bad threads you cant post one for a month or somthing along those lines, that would take care of a few problems.

Oh and, bring back some kind of incentive program, you know, so we could actually do somthing with the stars and flags. Otherwise they are worthless, just lose them.
edit on 19-3-2012 by reddwhite because: sorry OP forgot your S+F

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ah, the old "my friend works for nasa and gave me this video to distribute bs"....the fact that there are too many of us that fall for this without using our brains is a major problem in this subject.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
You will not find the truth on ATS.

Not so fast. There is great potential in places like ATS. One very well might find the truth, even if the person posting the truth doesn't know it's the truth.

ATS has a proven track record of ignoring scientific research in favor of sensationalized story telling.

Please don't speak of ATS like it is a living breathing entity, or a group of secret people conspiring to hide the truth. ATS doesn't have a proven track record of anything. ATS is a vessel, at best you can say "the majority of people that are attracted to ATS will demonstrate a lack of understanding when it comes to scientific research in favor of storytelling.
edit on 20-3-2012 by MainLineThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

justwokeup
The solution is to split the forum into 2:

*Sightings Evaluation and Analysis
*UFO Lore Role Play (The home of Alien emissaries Alien star children).

Most threads split into one or the other quite readily.

Best post on ATS. I rofl'd so hard.

And I completely agree with the OP. It's more or less the reason I post here only very seldom now.

Too. Much. Stupidity. I can't sugar coat it anymore. "Who am I to say what is or isn't stupid?"

Let me rephrase:

Too much mental imbalance/insanity/utter and sheer lunacy/fly off the handle megalomania/irrational delusions/fluff/nonsense

Have I covered it?

I get that this is a public forum, but I thought it was one that held itself to a higher standard than it apparently does. There are some great people here, but they're drowning in a sea of a single cell organisms.

I'm willing to accept even the most outlandish of theories if they're well-argued, reasoned, and based in some fundamental understanding of BASIC logic. I'm not willing to listen to some narcissistic rant on what the topic creator learned in a dream from an alien from the planet Grumblok 7 that told them to stand in the middle of a field at night with their pants down and behind up to the sky to "receive" a special message.

edit on 2-3-2014 by SaosinEngaged because: aliens wanted me to edit

edit on 2-3-2014 by SaosinEngaged because: once again, aliemenans made me edit my post telephethatically

join