It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Wolves - A Cherokee Parable with Wisdom Needed Now

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Good story simple in it's message, yet important. With all the things life throws at us, it's easy to forget and get swept away in the negative side of it all, but even that to has a purpose. And the other side of it is that lots of it is made and brought to life by ourselves mostly.

I have heard this saying, in many forms before and in many parables as well.

In books and in movies in literature I even heard this native american version of it.

Really the version that sticks to my mind now a days is the version I heard in a comic book/movie, called Pathfinder.

Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart.
Starfire: One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

That's strange. I just brought this up to my girlfriend last night. This is only the 3rd time I have thought about it. The first time I found it was about 5 years ago, and then I randomly bring it up last night, talking about the world, and I think I was explaining the law of one books, (which I havn't read yet)

and then you post this the next day haha. OK I get it. jeez... Feed the good wolf. Fine..

I felt the same way. I was just using the parable for my child two nights ago. Before that it was a few years since I had read it. This reading had an effect on me, it has stayed with me. I think it helps anyone who reads it. I am now posting it on my refridgerator for awhile.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I am Cherokee and familiar with the parable.
It is good for a life lesson. Thank you for
posting OP.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I am reading the first volume of RA - the law of one right now.
I must say that I am deeply moved by the material presented.
Wouldn't you know it was a fellow ATSer who recommended the book to me?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
When I saw the title "Two Wolves", I was afraid the parable was going to be the one where the young brave discovers how he got his name.

Thanks for it being this one instead, much more enlightening.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

It's not just a matter of which one we feed. We are not islands. There is so much around us that affects us. It takes effort for control to be maintained, and there's only so much effort most of us put to keeping it. It'd be a lot easier to be all of those good qualities if we isolated ourselves from the world. I think that is actually what is becoming required for some of us actually.

You make a great point. We are not islands and the events and influences from outside affect us all greatly. The question is how do we handle these things that happen to us and how we react? The greater the evil done to us the greater the capacity we have for forgiveness or revenge. The worst things that happen to us are the biggest opportunities we have for growth if we make the right decision.

I became disabled 4 years ago and it pushed me to decide whether I would be bitter and angry or if I would accept it and try to live on with some grace and dignity.
The death of a loved one or a divorce are situations that will try our souls. It's in our responding to these crises that we discover who we really are. "Let no crisis go to waste" is a truth we can apply to our own lives for if we don't we fail to grow and fall further and further in to frustration, despair and anger.

Learn to see the beauty in all beings and events for nothing is ever really lost - it is only transformed. Our words and actions carry on long after we are gone. Take care to make echoes of beauty and love for it is the greatest legacy we could ever leave.

edit on 20-3-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have heard this piece of beautiful wisdom before. Thank you for sharing.

The Natives have a natural affinity for these wonderful bits of truth

My favourite proverb:

"We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children"

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I always enjoy that parable, it strikes me in a very profound way every single time.

It is such a simple truth that it is embarrassing how often I forget it.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
The death of a loved one or a divorce are situations that will try our souls. It's in our responding to these crises that we discover who we really are. "Let no crisis go to waste" is a truth we can apply to our own lives for if we don't we fail to grow and fall further and further in to frustration, despair and anger.

This is a very accurate description - and the further we fall, the harder it is to get back up.

Learn to see the beauty in all beings and events for nothing is ever really lost - it is only transformed. Our words and actions carry on long after we are gone. Take care to make echoes of beauty and love for it is the greatest legacy we could ever leave.

Very eloquently put. I appreciate that you took the time to write it out; your words have put a brightness into my day that I had not yet seen.

edit on 3/20/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Lovely parable. I was just talking this morning with my sister about the state of the world and how best to respond to what seems to be rapidly deteriorating circumstances. She mentioned how a dozen or so coyotes were ignorantly killed and tossed into a pile onto the local golf course in her town.

We can only choose our individual response to the situations we face and focus on doing things that affirm a kinder and gentler world we wish to live in. She recommended Joanna Macy's new book "Active Hope, How to face the mess we're in without going crazy". I checked it out and immediately ordered a copy for myself. Here's a link if you are so inclined:

Active Hope
edit on 20-3-2012 by boeserwolf because: link included my active Amazon account.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Already posted here on ATS.

It's been going around Facebook and websites now for a few months.

But it sure is a beautiful quote OP.

Unfortunately many people feed the negative side.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I have this on a shirt I made, and gave to friends as well....
Very true and visceral tale.
I feed the bad one most of the time.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Hi there my friend. Thank you for the heads up about the previous thread, I didn't realize but should have. I am not surprised, however, to find you as the OP in that earlier piece. I very often find resonance with your threads and topics, so I will take this quick opportunity to say thanks!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If your interested in more Native American Wisdom it can be found here: Source

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
reply to post by Realtruth

Hi there my friend. Thank you for the heads up about the previous thread, I didn't realize but should have. I am not surprised, however, to find you as the OP in that earlier piece. I very often find resonance with your threads and topics, so I will take this quick opportunity to say thanks!

O2Truth, Sometimes it take the right title to do it, but it's the message that counts. Glad it's resonating with so many people.

I just hope that people actually have the time to slow down and actually apply this wisdom, since most of us are in the chaotic rat race, and never seem to be able to calm ourselves long enough to enjoy our lives.

Maybe we can get peace from chaos.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

It's not just a matter of which one we feed. We are not islands. There is so much around us that affects us. It takes effort for control to be maintained, and there's only so much effort most of us put to keeping it. It'd be a lot easier to be all of those good qualities if we isolated ourselves from the world. I think that is actually what is becoming required for some of us actually.

You make a great point. We are not islands and the events and influences from outside affect us all greatly. The question is how do we handle these things that happen to us and how we react? The greater the evil done to us the greater the capacity we have for forgiveness or revenge. The worst things that happen to us are the biggest opportunities we have for growth if we make the right decision.

I became disabled 4 years ago and it pushed me to decide whether I would be bitter and angry or if I would accept it and try to live on with some grace and dignity.

I too faced this same challenge when I became disabled 12 years ago. I see now that it was an incredible opportunity and gift. People are often surprised to hear me say that - and my usual response is that great gifts often come in crappy wrapping paper. The phrase "let no crisis go to waste" is a new one for me - and one I will remember.

So poetically and beautifully put. Thank you so much for sharing it. I couldn't agree more.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Already posted here on ATS.

It's been going around Facebook and websites now for a few months.

But it sure is a beautiful quote OP.

Unfortunately many people feed the negative side.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

I almost want to feed the evil wolf when I see an original thread of a topic only get 6 flags when this copy thread now has 69 flags and climbing. Out of all the forums on ATS, PP&M always seems to be the most lenient to these kinds of things.

As far as the parable goes, it rings as true as the hundreds of parables similar to it.
edit on 3/20/2012 by SonicInfinity because: Minor edits

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

So funny I ran into your post after actually making a very similar comment to a friend. Seeing very well researched and thought out threads get little attention is a real shame. As my previous post indicates, I should have but didn't realize that this parable had already been presented.

That being said, I am grateful that it has resonated with many.
edit on 3/20/2012 by Open2Truth because: clarity malfunction

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Cute as that parable is, I'll give you dollars to donuts that the story was invented by a white person in the first place, like so many other things attributed to native indians, such as smoking marijuana in their peace pipes, (never happened), to tomahawk throwing (why give up your weapon?) To calling everyone 'chief', which is not a native indian word, to considering 'squaw' to be sexist, when it actually is a native indian word, to include a zillion other such stories that don't really make sense, they're not germane to the native indian. They're all made up by white people.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

i have read this before too... its simply beautiful...

thank you OP for bringing back into my conscious thinking

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join