It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Anti-Terror Troops Arrive in Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Looks like Putin has had enough of the Muslim Brotherhood, and is backing Assad.

Yahoo News

A Russian military unit has arrived in Syria, according to Russian news reports, a development that a United Nations Security Council source told ABC News was "a bomb" certain to have serious repercussions.

Russia, one of President Bashar al-Assad's strongest allies despite international condemnation of the government's violent crackdown on the country's uprising, has repeatedly blocked the United Nations Security Council's attempts to halt the violence, accusing the U.S. and its allies of trying to start another war.

Read the rest of the story at the link above.

edit on 19-3-2012 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This complicates things for TPTB. Now the plans to intervene are going to have to be reevaluated. This also means that if true they are in a position to assist Iran if necessary.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Funny thing is, Russia is thinking of letting the U.S. use one of their bases for the Afghanistan withdrawal (Iran invasion?).

Source

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Now its getting interesting. Lets see just how this game of chess goes .

I've got my Orville Redinbocker's and my diet coke all set for the show.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Damn, you beat me to it!

Well these guys don't mess around and will obviously be reporting directly to Moscow. the question is therefore, are we going to see a clash between special forces from the US/UK and The Russians?

If Russia manages to capture any foreign specials then expect to see them on the TV pretty quick.

If this happens the US will be caught with its pants round its ankles.

The US psycho government would rather go to war with Russia than admit thier corruption.

Sorry, but I support the Russians move, hopefully it will illustrate to western leaders that Russia means business. This may put the west on the backfoot with regard to any more conflicts in the Middle East. Whats more, the Russians will have a complete free hand in the country unlike any other foriegn troops, this will give the Russian special forces the upper hand.

We from the UK have no business being in the middle east whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameliaair

Indeed, this is interesting. I guess it's our (as in the U.S./Allies) move. Getting involved or rather publicly admitting involvement in this could indeed kick off a much bigger war IMO. WWIII anyone?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So what happens now?

With the recent rumours of western boots on the ground in syria (i would guess undercover). That would include French, British, and American forces being involved in distribution of weapons to these "rebels" in an attempt to knock out assad.

The western boots aren't "officially" in syria... let's say they are for one moment, do they rush to flee the country with this news on russia? If it is confirmed that russian troops have entered syria, what happens if the western troops somehow clash with the russians?

What happens if russian boots get killed by these "rebels"? Will russia blame UK/US/France for distributing armed weapons to them? It would only be logical if they find evidence of western troops on the ground.

It's quite a scary thought. If the west has boots in syria, there's going to be one huge mess to follow in the next few weeks, or months.
I wouldn't go as far to assume WW3 like many others, but i think we're looking at another arm's race, reminiscent of the cold war. Things are going to get messy all for the wrong reasons.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I think Obama has gotten a talkin' to from someone and he'll be staying out of Syria. With is failures in Libya and Egypt, I think the U.S. and U.K. are silently backing this Russian play. The western leaders (Obama, et-al) have been claiming that Assad is evil, but they have now had 2 firm examples that what replaces the beast is light years worse. If anything, I suspect that there will be U.S./U.K./Russian cooperation with SF Operations.
edit on 19-3-2012 by navy_vet_stg3 because: Edited to fix mistake someone pointed out....

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by Ameliaair

Indeed, this is interesting. I guess it's our (as in the U.S./Allies) move. Getting involved or rather publicly admitting involvement in this could indeed kick off a much bigger war IMO. WWIII anyone?

Well, we'll see now if Nato really wants their 3rd ww or not.

Don't forget, China is right below them in Africa and their Navy is in the Straight.

This could be a ticking time bomb.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
reply to post by TheMindWar

I think Obama has gotten a talkin' to from someone and he'll be staying out of Syria. With is failures in Libya and Egypt, I think the U.S. and U.K. are silently backing this Russian play. They know that Assad is an animal, but they have now had 2 firm examples that what replaces the beast is light years worse. If anything, I suspect that there will be U.S./U.K./Russian cooperation with SF Operations.

Forgive me but I must ask. How exactly is it that Assad is an animal? I have Syrian friends. The people like him very much and feel the rebels are bought and paid for from outside forces in order to destabilize their nation as was Egypt,and Libya.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameliaair

My apologies. I don't "know", and if he's not, then great, more power to the guy. Personally, I'm on his side, because I think what would back-fill him would be terrible for everyone in Syria and the entire planet. I stand corrected.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here's an Assad being interviewed by Barbra Walters, where Assad says what is being broadcasted about Syria and what is actually happening in Syria are two different things. With the recent blunders in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, and Libya, he definitively has a leg to stand on.

Is everyone familar with Syrian Girl?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
This complicates things for TPTB. Now the plans to intervene are going to have to be reevaluated. This also means that if true they are in a position to assist Iran if necessary.

Maybe this IS the intervention !!

TPTB have no border loyalties.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Was just about to post this...glad I did a search!

I find this story kind of wild....like...I could see this going really bad.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
So what happens now?

nothing.

the unit is for security of the Russian fleet units in dock.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

That Syrian girl really seems to know what she's talking about. She sounds like she posts on ATS. I hope that the Russians are moving in to help Assad. I'm hoping this was an unexpected move and will slow this US aggression. If they capture CIA Mossad or something similar they will have the upper hand politically.

As for the post, "what if this is the intervention?"

tptb might not care about nations borders or who they use to get the job done, but Russia does not seem to be part of that structure, and for this reason obviously could not be used like this. I feel like Russia has only held back as much as it did, because they are playing a delicate propaganda game against the USA in a very confusing emotionally charged situation.

I think this is the last small play that can be made. How can USA set up a no fly zone now? I suspect it won't take them long to get to the bottom of it. Russia is used to these kinds of things. When they do there will be no need for a no fly zone and the US can back up. Russia is saying hey guys you see that? That's the edge of our backyard. No Trespassing!

ehhh It's what I think.

EDIT: Or it could be as simple as the post above mine... That makes perfect sense too.
edit on 3/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameliaair

"Forgive me but I must ask. How exactly is it that Assad is an animal?"

Because strangers on TV said so!..lol Amazing how people who have never been there, probably know exactly zero locals.. can form an opinion one way or the other.

The guy who calls himself president of the US is responsible for more innocent dead people than Assad.. period.

If accurate.. I hope the Russians put a stop to the needless violence with a quickness.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well ... this is interesting.

I disagree with the article's point about the USA and West "trying to start another war". This is another war! people are dying, and foreign troops are on the ground, except this time overtly.

I think when President Bush said: "You are either with us or against us" is when foreign policy was made up. America was now facing a multinational multifacetted organization with supporters in many countries. However, America had interviened many many many times over the decades and influenced many nations in that region. Syria is preemptive for an attack on Iran. Period. The dominos falling and instability in the region is ... a tactical advantage.

32 years ago, in 1980, the first question posed at the presidential debates between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan was about Afghanistan and Iran. Just sayin America has had these countries on their radar for a long long time. Covertly things happen. And, you and I my fellow ATSers ... Apparently we do not have a need to know.

Russian troops in Syria. Well .... technically there are billions of people closer to Syria than I am. Hopefully they can do something to regain prosperity and stability ... though I don't believe that is the total objective.

These are some of my serious thoughts on this particular issue.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Anyone who gathers intelligence is working for the CIA, whether they are intelligent enough to know it or not.

I think many people work for the CIA without even knowing it.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Syria buys a lot of weaponry from Russia, Russia will side with Assad. NATO/US will side with the rebels. If NATO or the US goes in now we will be fighting Russian troops, surely that won't be looked over as just in Syria. NATO either stays out or faces Russia.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join