It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weekend of violence claims 10 shooting victims across Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Weekend of violence claims 10 shooting victims across Chicago

That's 10 that they Think were killed.

And included in the 49 total shootings !!!

Chicago has bigtime gun laws too !!

By Liam Ford, Peter Nickeas and Rosemary Sobol
Chicago Tribune reporters
11:29 a.m. CDT, March 19, 2012

At least 10 people were killed, including a 6-year-old girl, in shootings over the weekend in Chicago.

The slain were among at least 49 people wounded in shootings from 5 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday, according to information compiled by the Chicago Tribune.

Two teenagers were expected to appear in bond court today in the slaying of Aliyah Shell, as she sat with her mother, sister and a male about 3:30 p.m. Saturday on the front porch of her home in the 3100 block of South Springfield Avenue. Aliyah was killed when a pickup truck pulled up in front of the house and someone fired multiple shots out of the window, hitting her, according to Chicago Police Department News Affairs....

Chicago Murders

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
even as a brit i think that equalling the playing field will help (doesn't matter if its guns,knives,hello kitty dolls) but also the education perhaps of guns their use and the risk versus reward where if you pull a gun then 20 people could pull one on you so you will have to be very careful when removing it from its holster

banning guns won't help as they'll just move over to more direct methods like clubs/knives (ok that will stop some people who don't want to get personal and look the person in the eye as they die when you can do the dirty from 50 yards away)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Sad news. I don't know how this could happen though, with the gun bans in Chicago. Apparently the criminals didn't care about those particular laws. Who'd have thunk it?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

They're just gun laws at the end of the day. It doesn't take guns off the streets. You can get a gun anywhere in Chicago. Some organizations sponsor gun drop offs where you can give up your guns, no questions asked. That's probably the most effective thing we have.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Dirty Bomb Chicago. Then we get to kick start this third world war, problems solved. I hate senseless killings more than anything, wish cops would focus more attention on the streets rather than occupy movements and the like.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
even as a brit i think that equalling the playing field will help (doesn't matter if its guns,knives,hello kitty dolls) but also the education perhaps of guns their use and the risk versus reward where if you pull a gun then 20 people could pull one on you so you will have to be very careful when removing it from its holster

banning guns won't help as they'll just move over to more direct methods like clubs/knives (ok that will stop some people who don't want to get personal and look the person in the eye as they die when you can do the dirty from 50 yards away)

""banning guns won't help as they'll just move over to more direct methods like clubs/knives (ok that will stop some people who don't want to get personal and look the person in the eye as they die when you can do the dirty from 50 yards away)""

I would think just the opposite ...

howitzers, mortars, and M1 Abrams tanks are more like it !!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

going to be pretty hard to do a drive by in a M1 abrams and not get noticed enough for some bored cop to wonder where you are going

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Sounds like another win for gun control

Armed criminals vs unarmed victims.

I'd like to see Rahm take a walk at night southside all alone and see if his attitude changes.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

The only thing banning guns did in Chicago was keep the guns in the hands of criminals while law abiding citizens were left defenseless. It's a complete failure that only makes it easier for criminals to pick out their prey knowing they're the only one with the gun.

Originally posted by RicFlair
Dirty Bomb Chicago. Then we get to kick start this third world war, problems solved. I hate senseless killings more than anything, wish cops would focus more attention on the streets rather than occupy movements and the like.

Not cool at all, why should Chicagoans have to suffer for the actions of a bunch of low life scumbags called gangbangers.

I agree though with the cops and their focus, drove by the occupy movement a few times and saw no less then 40 squad cars there each time. Meanwhile, stores were getting flash-mob robbed and beachfronts were closed daily due to gang fights.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If ever there was a case for martial law, this sort of thing is it.
Close off these neighborhoods with fences with barbed wire on top and armed tanks at exits.
Patrol the streets with armored vehicles.
This would make much better use of our combat troops than wasting them in the like of Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason Paul

thats why i wanted equality so that if the scum bags are only armed with hello kitty dolls then thats fair to respond with more hello kitty dolls etc so if the scummers are using guns then turn guns onto them and given that there could be a risk that the scum bag may get shot might deter a few people and thus reduce the crime rate

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Only slightly higher stats for Shi-town's weekend, I'm afraid...

And this is POTUS' home/model city...go ahead, flame...

I attribute this to the St. Patty's Day weekend and correlated partying and what not for suppliers of all kinds.

Sad, but true

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Gun laws don't effect criminals.

They restrict the rights of law abiding citizens.

Luckily for us though, most shootings in the US are scumbags shooting scumbags.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

1st. St. Patty = St. Patricia.

It's St. Paddy

2nd I don't think you can blame a bunch of gangsta wannabes shooting one another on an Irish holiday..

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RicFlair

Yeah, nice. That comment syncs with your sig quite well...
Hopefully if WWIII starts you're the first and final casualty.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

1st. St. Patty = St. Patricia.

It's St. Paddy

True, true; I'm only a small percent of Irish so I stand corrected...

2nd I don't think you can blame a bunch of gangsta wannabes shooting one another on an Irish holiday..

Here, I disagree. Party-rates go up among all on St. Pat's Day--especially a weekend one. Plus, your "gangsta wannabes" comment is inaccurate and in poor taste...

Just talk to some Chi-towners who are normally able to sleep on a Sat. night but couldn't on this one b'cause of people yelling in the streets and sirens in the background...not to mention a number who got kicked out of bars as early as noon on that day because of intoxication...

edit on 20-3-2012 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

What do they expect?

Guns laws only work for people who respect the rule of law and want to follow the law.

Criminals do not care about the law. That is why they are called Criminals to begin with. So make all the gun laws you want, the criminals will still have guns because they dont care about the laws.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Chicago has always been a rough place to live, especially on the south side where the 6 year old was killed. But 49 in one weekend? That's alot even by Chicago standards. I spent a few weeks in a neighborhood near the Eden Greens projects in my early 20's and I wouldn't go back to live in that town if you paid me. '___' is nice, but that's uptown.

Gun laws are made by politicians and politicians are out of touch. Pay them and their laws no mind in this case. Even if you're a law abiding citizen there is no excuse for not owning a firearm on the south side. Even some of the cops down there will look at you like you're crazy if something happens and you explain to them that you don't own a gun.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that Chicago is a dirty town on both sides of the fence. Very dirty. If you shoot someone in self defense and that someone is a person the cops have been looking for anyway, don't worry about the laws because the cops are probably going to look the other way. And if you're afraid they wont.......lie. You don't own a gun. Pick up the casings before they show up and they can't prove you wrong. Your neighbors won't turn you in, you're a hero at this point for taking down a gangbanger.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I tried to create a map showing where these each happened, but the link it created just linked to a blank map. Anyone know of a good map site for something like that?

Every other year there's a weekend like this, usually during the first or second week of nice weather. I really don't understand. Do these idiots wait all winter to do this?

Anyway, on the map I was trying to make, 8 of the deaths were in a 4x8 mile area on the south side of the city. It's always those couple of neighborhoods. Occasionally a near west side one. If you go through these neighborhoods, as the years go by there are less and less businesses there. Some areas like Taupin mentioned have been rotting since the late 70's when Sherwin Williams, Pullman, and the steel companies closed up. Just turns into a feedback loop of #tiness.

I live on the southwest side and have guns in the house. But not because of any fear of anything, just how I was raised. There's practically no crime within miles and miles of here. Last significant crimes I can think of outside of someone stealing a car stereo would have to be when a couple robbed a bank, went speeding off and crashed into a car on 95th Street. The last murder I can recall was at a liquor store nearly 13-14 years ago.
edit on 3/21/2012 by LuckyLucian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I like how our police force spent $1M on extra equipment for the NATO summit, yet judging by their record most of these shootings are going to go with out arrest. Just goes to show how competent the people with the badges are.

top topics

join