It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunday NYTimes OP-ED Blasts NYPD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
March 17, 2012 The Sunday Review focuses an editorial on three key issues involving the NYPD. Disturbing revelations have recently come to light regarding their Muslim Surveillance policies which are now under review by Attorney General, Eric Holder. The editorial goes on to state that the Justice Department should also review Stop-and-Frisk as well as the conduct of officers regarding Occupy protesters.

NYTimes.com

The Police Department’s project to monitor Muslims seems to have been particularly excessive in Newark, where in 2007, police officers photographed and gathered intelligence on mosque worshipers and restaurant patrons. This looks like a possible violation of a federal court order revised after the 9/11 attacks that bars New York City from collecting and retaining information during investigations involving political activity unless that information “relates to potential unlawful or terrorist activity.” That question will most likely be settled in court.

Related thread

I strongly disagree that Muslims or any particular group should be under constant surveillance. Hatred, terrorism and violence can come from all walks of life. This is fear based mind games and it needs to stop if we're ever to move forward. Of course the question begs to be asked, do "they" want us all moving forward?

The Police Department has an unfortunate history of failing to comply with court rulings, like this one, that seek to avert the potential abuse of its power. Two years ago, a Federal District Court found the city in contempt for failing to obey a series of decisions issued between 1983 and 1993 that barred the police from arresting or charging citizens based on an unconstitutional statute against loitering. According to a settlement approved by the court, the city managed to illegally charge some 22,000 people between 1983 and 2012. Prosecutors must now try to expunge the convictions of thousands of people, many of whom have spent time in jail or lost job opportunities.

Related thread

The Justice Department should also examine police conduct at the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations last fall and winter, during which a high-ranking officer pepper-sprayed demonstrators without provocation. A lawsuit filed last week raises troubling allegations that officers pre-emptively arrested three people more than a dozen blocks away from a protest to stop them from attending.

Most of you by now, know my stance on Occupy...but I will reiterate that it is clear that subversive actions are being taken against anything Occupy by our government and law enforcement, don't make it an easy job for them.

Since 9/11, courts have broadened the Police Department’s investigative authority in the vital interest of protecting the city from terrorist attack. The department should not interpret that as a license to run roughshod over the Constitution.

This paragraph is what stuck out the most to me, it is vital to not let this example of a police department become the norm for American cities. No justice, no peace. We cannot become so afraid that we lock our own cages.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Kali74 because: forgot link

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Here's the problem,

under review by Attorney General, Eric Holder

Does anyone have faith in this man? Well, besides he fellows in DC.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Most of you by now, know my stance on Occupy...but I will reiterate that it is clear that subversive actions are being taken against anything Occupy by our government and law enforcement, don't make it an easy job for them.

Since 9/11, courts have broadened the Police Department’s investigative authority in the vital interest of protecting the city from terrorist attack. The department should not interpret that as a license to run roughshod over the Constitution.

This paragraph is what stuck out the most to me, it is vital to not let this example of a police department become the norm for American cities. No justice, no peace. We cannot become so afraid that we lock our own cages.

I love how people bash Occupy left and right and that the Government is in the right to arrest them because they were being 'violent' and not 'peacefully protesting'.

Um, they actually were being peaceful until the NYPD started being violent for absolutely no reason (like they usually do). Just a quick question here; whats the typical human response to being pushed? You push back, of course. I don't know anyone who would sit and just take abuse without doing anything about it.

They were peacefully protesting, expressing their 1st amendment right, and the piggies came and decided it would be a fun time to harass and intimidate the (for the most part) college kids hanging out in Zucotti park.

Of course it doesn't help that today's day and age more closely resembles a George Orwell novel than it does classic America, land of the 'free'. Each and every day, with every new bill signed into law, we slip closer and closer to a "Democratic" dictatorship. People living in the US think they still have rights, but that's a joke to anyone who works in an alphabet agency, they laugh because you don't. Or at least you won't have them much longer.

Remember; Big Brother is always watching.
edit on 3/19/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Not so much on Holder lol, but hopefully the story shows up in more places than just NYT. Shed light etc...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Something Occupy probably should do, next time they go back to the park, is wear t shirts (or carry placards) with the slogan, "Thank you, NYPD. By beating the $%^& out of us, you aid our public relations campaign."

They should perhaps try and be a little snarky about it.

"Officer, by driving my head into the footpath, you're working to assist the public in recognising that America has become a police state."

new topics

top topics

join