It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm gonna be a cowboy when I grow up...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Funny, I never would have guessed it, but looks like it's come to pass...

Recently, my wife and I inherited a ranch. 5 Acres, she even has a horse (and room for many more in the stables). A large house (4BR/4bath), and even a tack business (horse related items, bits, bridles, saddles, that sort of thing).

Quite a big change from being two city people working 9-5 in the city, paying rent, living paycheck-to-paycheck. She grew up around horses, and we always talked about maybe someday being able to work our way towards a place that was in the country enough to have horses. Of course, financially, we were never really close to obtaining it.

All that has basically changed overnight. Even better, it's only about 5 min to actually go to the city (not our current city, but another one), so kind of the best of both worlds. We can still go to all of the places we like to go to for convenience, but then retreat to our own little ranch.

I don't want to gloss over that it took the death of a loved one to happen though...we really didn't see this coming. He was relatively young (60's), so we never even considered he wouldn't be with us for decades more still. Was a bit of a shock on many fronts. Still is, I suppose, really. I think we're doing right by him with her continuing her father's business and all.

I'll still work in the city (and commute) for a while yet, at least until we're sure about how things will go (and while she learns the business)..mostly to keep insurance and of course some steady/predictable income. But, I'm definitely going to have to "cowboy up" as it were on evenings and weekends. We're looking for another horse so we can both ride...(I'm what I'd call a competent amateur, whereas she could live on the back of a horse, hehe...)

Kind of like that old saying...be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. We certainly did. Will be a lot of work making the house a home, learning the ways of the ranch and the business (luckily, we're both MBA's, so we have a good basis here)...but we're looking forward to the challenge, and we've got a great support group of folks in the horse community, and our family and friends.

I hope all of you eventually get to realize your dreams as well, regardless of how much work it takes to achieve them.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I moved out west about 12 years ago....and still have yet to see any horses up close..lol. Congrats on your move. And the life outside of the hustle and bustle of city life! Too bad it took the loss of a family member to make it happen though.
I'm 45 miles from the closest McDonald's. lol. The town I live in has as many people as my high school did...2,500 or so. So my lack of interaction with horses, cattle...etc...which are all around is sort of sacrilegious.

Even still....I have way less stress now than I did when I was in the middle of the city.

edit on 19-3-2012 by webpirate because: updated thoughts

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You uhmm... Gazrok uhhmmm... Well uhmm...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just finished reading your thread Gaz, mate, that is so cool, see sometime out of thin air things happen and when they do its often the better.

Nice one..

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

That's one brave little buckaroo!

The nice part about it, is that even though in the country, it's only a 5 min drive to town, so still have all of the convenience, but I can still look up at night and actually see the stars too. We've been in our current home for over 10 years, so will take some time to move (about a month or so), but looking forward to it. (and to purging and finally getting rid of some stuff that is just taking up room).

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Congratulations. You are gonna love this life. After about a year, you will measure days by sun up and sun down...the seasons will be apparent by what chores are out in front of you... and the horses will be your new children... the source of much pride and joy and angst.... yes, you will have pictures of them to show.

You haven't lived until you are awakened by a honking car horn at 3am and go out to see what is happening and realize your horse is standing on the side of the road in the headlights munching on the grassy right of way.

Or, like an over eating teenage son, wonder just how much that horse can eat and what really happened to all that hay you just bought.

Oh, and the weather...you will track rain with glee and storms with anxious anticipation as it is not thunder or lightening.. but winds that can do the most damage to a barn roof. The weather will be the first thing you look at and the last... one day, you will be sitting in a country diner...eating.. and like all the other farmers and ranchers...you will be sipping coffee and watching the Weather Channel on the TV in the corner of the room... and then laugh at how you got to be so "country."

Then the metamorphasis will be almost complete. The final step will be when you can step in horse manure and not even whince.... in fact the sweet smell of hay mixed with the pungent odor of manure will smell like... home.

Good Luck, Cowboy

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Hehe..sounds like you know just what you're talking about...

I'm looking forward to it...just a lot to learn. My wife grew up around horses, but been quite a while since she rode regularly. We have some good friends who own a ranch even, but we only get to see them about a few times a year. In fact, we're going to see them next week, so should be fun. They're excited to have us "join the club" so to speak. I'm sure they'll be a great source of advice in the months to come...especially as I'm looking to buy a horse for myself. One of their daughters brokers horses, so it all falls into place pretty well.

I only envy her that I'll still be at my 9-5 job for a while, commuting, while she'll be running the tack business and ranch. Luckily, we're bringing along a friend who'll be helping out, and she's a bit younger and more fit, so she'll be able to help my wife a lot. Our friend is really looking forward to the lifestyle change too. If we eventually get enough boarders, and the tack shop is doing well, would be nice if I could lose the 9-5 gig, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
my deepest condolences with your father inlaw .. my heart goes out to you.. not too long ago i loss my mother and she was in her mid 60s as well..

please give your wife a big huge for me .. im sure she needs it ...

as for the title forgive me but a big lmfao... (forgive me )

i thought you were already an adult ,but hey this works too...
and i hope this is a big success for you both...

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))

edit on 22/3/12 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

First, my condolences.

But, if that's you in the picture in your avatar, then it was a sign to the future.

Actually, I bet you'll enjoy it out there.
I'm not sure how much quieter it is, but 5 acres is nice and big.

I am amazed on how true AfterThought's comment was.
Knowing the seasons passing by the outside work...spot on!

You can't beat country living...it's almost too comfortable.
I bought a small farm a few years ago and haven't looked back!
Sometimes I don't want to leave cause of how quiet my place is.

City living is for those in a hurry to catch up in the rat race.
Country living is for those who say, "Rat race? Why bother?"

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

But, if that's you in the picture in your avatar, then it was a sign to the future.

Yep, it is actually... We got pics done at one of those places where you put on different garb and stand in front of various settings pieces. This one, of course, was a Wild West one. So yeah, pretty fitting avatar these days. It's also one of my favorite pics of me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You might want to watch the movie City Slickers. It'll teach you everything you need to know lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

I've seen both, hehe.... Luckily, my wife grew up around horses, so she knows a lot, but it's been years and years since she ever had to care for them. About 3 years ago though, we met some friends with a ranch, so we've been there occasionally and ridden, and helped out, etc., so we've got a tiny bit of experience.

It will definitely be a lot to learn. I've been getting books off Amazon, we've been reading some of her dad's many back issues of horse magazines, and of course, we've been getting some practical hands on at the ranch. Her aunt and uncle have been down for the winter, so they've been kind of running things while her dad had medical issues, and of course, now that he's passed. They've been a godsend. (and rest assured, we've ensured we'll be repaying the kindness).

So, so much to learn....but really looking forward to the changes.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am sorry about your loss. But happy for your gain. I hope it doesn't turn into a white elephant for you.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So sorry your wife lost her Father. Give her hug from me.

Congratulations on becoming a Cowboy! How cool is that! You are gonna have so much fun. It will be an adjustment, but wow,livin' the dream. What I know about horses, if there is a nail anywhere in the pasture a horse will find it and eat it.

Much Luck to you and in your endeavors.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

top topics

join