It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by quelmarth

I'm not saying never to question, but just because we do not know the answer to the question we dismiss it as being untrue. Just because we don't know the motives of the lord a lot of people say there is no grand designer.
edit on 123131p://3America/ChicagoMon, 19 Mar 2012 12:30:13 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

Before you can say we do not know the answer, you must first present the question.

Is there a question ?
I think there are two.
Yours (as a believer) is "Why ?"
Mine is "How ?"

When you understand the difference you will see why I have no need for deities.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
like the fish contemplating the sea.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand,

Rationalism

You answered your own question.

The most strikingly difficult thing for people is the concept of God is his aspect of infinity. He has always existed and will always exist. He has no beginning and no end.

Just not rational

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The problem with the concept of God in a nutshell: there are too damn many other questions.

What IS the Universe? What is reality? What is the nature of 'existence'. What is the difference between 'existence' and 'non-existence'? Is there a difference at all?
Really and truly, I am not entirely sure that I am NOT God myself. For all I REALLY know; you, this website, and the entire 'Universe' could have actually been willed into existence by ME whether consciously or unconsciously.

Does anything exist outside of perception? Do things pop in and out of existence as I perceive them and cease to perceive them? I know that I am an independent, sovereign, conscious, thinking being, but I can never know that such is the case for any other entity. The only thing I can truly KNOW is that I can perceive and conceptualize 'things', God included. I can never know with absolute certainty that you, God, or anyone else has the same traits and capabilities as me, nor can I ever know with absolute certainty that you, God or anyone else 'exists' outside of my own mind.

Anyhow, welcome to the wonderful world of 'Philosophy'!

edit on 20-3-2012 by Dienekes because: Some word changes for clarity.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand..?

Stop calling it GOD and start calling it the MATRIX.
Because GOD is just an AVATAR of the MATRIX.
edit on 3/20/2012 by SayonaraJupiter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

The paradoxes are indeed prevalent throughout our quest for Him (which is also questing to find ourselves).

Its all a big joke and we are on the butt end of it..we are never going to be able to comprehend the answers we seek because, as was said earlier, our minds are overloaded by the concept of infinity.

The more I seek the less I understand

Give up the search and accept that I'm ignorant, then it all becomes apparent

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand..?

Stop calling it GOD and start calling it the MATRIX.
Because GOD is just an AVATAR of the MATRIX.
edit on 3/20/2012 by SayonaraJupiter because: (no reason given)

Easier to understand if you recognize God walked this earth 2000 years ago as Jesus and that you can know God by knowing him.

You can eliminate the confusion about him by accepting it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Your concept of God is hard to understand because it is arbitrary. If you were born in Egypt, or Mumbai you would most likely be worshiping a different deity. Which one is real ... ?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

O.K. I expect some bashing from this but, here goes:

I didn't achieve my understanding of what god actually IS, until I had eaten a half ounce of hallucinogenic mushrooms for the first time. Now, I know ANYONE here who has never eaten mushrooms will be very quick to try and debunk my experience, or see me as less credible for having 'done drugs'. However, I can assure you that what I went through for the next 6 hours was the most realistic thing I have ever experienced. I know the rebuttal that it's just your brain firing uncontrollably and that everything I experienced is supposed to be my own imagination.... but all I can say to this, is that you have no idea until you experience it yourself.

The experience I had changed my life, and perception of reality, existence, and my place here in it. Having 'met' God, and been taken into the 'house of God' is something I'll never ever forget. A most divine experience. I can't describe it very well at all. Language does not even come close to being a means to convey what happened. I experienced EVERYTHING. First came the fear, then death, then I was 'shown' the 'inner workings' of the universe. Then God 'entered' me (touched me? hard to explain). I was taken somewhere where time did not exist. I can't explain how I percieved it, but... I saw it as something seperate from (I don't know what to call it).
BUT I UNDERSTOOD IT! I literally became whatever it is that 'gave birth to' existence, just to know it! I'm not even going to try and finish this. This is going to ruin any credibility I may have. I'm sorry. You just have to experience it to know it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
There are 2 Lakota words for it Wakan Tanka (which means Great Mystery)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wodensman86

So.. you found God while you were trippin' hard on shrooms? -_- That's your evidence?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

...I knew it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

What were the changes in your life after the "trip"?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Well, beforehand I was always debating the existence of a god, or gods, within myself. Afterwards, I KNEW, and it totally changed my perspective. I became much more spiritual. I realised the interconnectedness between and arounnd ALL THINGS. As a product of that, I started treating myself a lot better, and others. Before the experience I was 'rebellious' and 'chaotic'. Afterwards, I was at peace. I respected everything again. I became, and still am, in awe of EVERYTHING. Everything I witness in my life, I feel within myself like how a poetic metaphor touches your very inner being, and makes the hair on your neck stand. All things are like this now, and everything is equal. Like I said, to be able to explain the proper depth and importance of the experience is beyond the means of language, or even symbols. It's just something you have to do.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Thanks for your answer. When used properly they can lift the veil, when used improperly they will ruin lives. A dicey slope.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Thank YOU, for your understanding. True wisdom, my friend.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

God is not a concept. God is beyond all concepts.
edit on 23-3-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join