It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think a lot of it has to do with multiple things. We refuse to believe in things that we cannot see. We cannot see the air, yet it exists. Somehow we require proof, yet there are some things that we cannot prove but there are signs pointing to their existence. Also another reason why people have a hard time understanding God is because of our arrogance that we are the best, we have all this science and technology there can possibly be no one who possess infinite intelligence, infinite power, and is everlasting.

The most strikingly difficult thing for people is the concept of God is his aspect of infinity. He has always existed and will always exist. He has no beginning and no end. Think of his life in terms of distances. If one millimeter represented a million years, then millions and millions of light years of distance would represent 0% of Gods existence. It is His omnipotence, his infinity, his infinite intelligence, his wisdom that non-Believers cannot get over. It is their arrogance and ego that does not permit it. This is not an argument about religion, this is a argument about God.

This thread is just an introduction to the thread I will eventually make outlining some evidence that points to a grand designer with infinite intelligence and power, omnipotence, the merciful, who willed us into exisestence so that we may worship him and pray and enjoy his creation which we call the universe. He made this universe for us to enjoy, and in our enjoyment we are worshiping the lord, the almighty, the greatest, the lord of all the worlds.

Stay tuned for my next thread which will show evidence of a grand designer (lots of ppl have been sending me messages asking for it). You know who you are hehe

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
He is hard to conceive of a faith in God, because unlike the air you cant see, if i blow smoke into that air i can watch what i cant see and what i can see mix and prove the others existence, if i pray to God or not i wont see any proof either way.

I have faith theres a God of some kind beyond our grasp of our immediate visual universe, faith is just the belief that its there and one day you get to prove it to yourself. I have faith that i wont die in a horrible accident, but cant prove it and why would i need to, spoil the fun in finding out :p

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I think the concept of God is ingrained into our psyche. Being self aware allows us to contemplate death. Death scares us so we seek comfort in the answers given to us by people who claim to know this God.

If there is a God, I doubt he or she will ever give us hard evidence of their existence. It would defeat the purpose of living.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
why is the concept of "leave people alone about God/Religion" hard for people to understand? if we choose not to believe, that's our choice. not yours or anyone else. live by jesus's teachings and stop trying to force religion down peoples throats.

you dont see atheists, buddhists, pagans, and wiccans forcing their beliefs on others so live and let live.
edit on 19-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
why is the concept of "leave people alone about God/Religion" hard for people to understand? 19-3-2012 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

It's all about power and moral high ground.

I'm holier than you to some degree.
edit on 19-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I look forward to it

Great job so far, u think alot like i do, but you just have the skill of putting it all into words and writing!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The concept of God is incomprehensible because it's inherently paradoxical. From the very onset, it's impossible to define God as a distinct entity both separate from and consisting of everything, everywhere and everytime. A separate infinity within an infinity? We can't understand anything like that on a practical level.

Secondly, there's the question of motivation. Here is a "thing" that is all-powerful and omnipresent. Consisting of an entire universe. Any yet, for some reason, this thing needs to create. It has a deficiency which can only be resolved by creating. That doesn't make sense no matter how you spin it.

So what most people understand as God generally boils down to a feeling they have. A feeling of unknowing, and vastness. A feeling of physiological arousal when confronted with an unknown.

In other words, what most people understand as God is the thrill of their own ignorance.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Secondly, there's the question of motivation

Who are we to question Gods motivation? When you were a baby and you did not want to do something did you question your mother? Imagine your mom x infinity. We do not have the brain or the capability to see eye to eye with the motives of the infinite Lord. We have no standing to question the motives of the lord. We should be thankful that he willed us into existence.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well said Brother, take a look at this one. Dr. Zakir Naik has been able to answer most of questions that people have been asking him for ages.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

We do not have the brain or the capability to see eye to eye with the motives of the infinite Lord.

Yet so many seem to know all about it anyway and they keep on a preaching.

edit: btw, just seen the bit of writing on your avatar. I thought 'thou shalt NOT kill' is a key part of your faith

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Who are we to question Gods motivation? When you were a baby and you did not want to do something did you question your mother? Imagine your mom x infinity. We do not have the brain or the capability to see eye to eye with the motives of the infinite Lord. We have no standing to question the motives of the lord. We should be thankful that he willed us into existence.

But when we reach to a certain age.. We are free to question our mother or father because we are mature enough to understand why we shouldnt question during childhood.. And then we are also able to be a father and mother... Dont you think on this?

Perhaps we werent able to understand god in some thousand years, but i think we can now understand it better..and question... I dont mean deny, but question, since he provided us with guidance during our "childhood"..

Just a thought

EDIT: Perhaps we are not yet mature to it..but think we are.. Just like when we are teenagers.. Get a glympse of what is to come..question everything, get rebel.. Maybe...
But for sure we didnt learn how to be grateful for what we have..and thats is for sure.. (we i mean makind)
edit on 19-3-2012 by quelmarth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by quelmarth

We are free to question our mother or father because we are mature enough to understand why we shouldnt question during childhood

Ratio of your age when baby to mothers approaches zero but is not quite zero
Ratio of your current age to your mothers approaches approximately 1 the longer you live
Ratio of your age to Gods age = 0 and will never approach one. We will never get the ability or the knowledge that will enable us equal footing.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Why the concept of GOD is hard for people to understand
In one word, religion. Religion has molded our view of God, and as anyone knows, there is a multitude of religions, all pulling, pushing, and persuading people their religious view of God is the correct one.

God can not be put into one book, one religion. God, I believe, has never had the intention to enslave mankind to bow down and worship him. He demands absolutely nothing from us, except maybe to display some empathy towards others we occupy this planet with, and, not destroy the firmament. Enjoy life!

The whole "God" Concept has been created by past generations not to fill some psychological need but to create a pecking order, if you will, and to some degree, confusion.

There is no proof, by design, of the true Divine God, but you can find proof of the ones who "Played" God. It is so abundant you take it for granted every day. You call it "Religion". The true Divine God has everything to do with a persons heart, and absolutely nothing to do with religions. The masquerading Gods of the past used Technology to confuse and impress the gullible masses while the true Divine God did his miracles the old fashion way, through trillions of years of trial and error. There still is no comparison between the sheer awe of the simple flower and the smile of a newborn, to a microchip.

It is easy to tell the Divines handy work, as it is also in your face and taken for granted every day. All you have to do is open your eyes, and start looking. If you do that you might just find the proof you are looking for.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I can follow your thoughts til some level.. I do, but i can't follow til your conclusions... Because that is almost similar to the main rule to robotics NEVER question mankind..(just an example...with its infinite less proportions)

But nice post anyway! And good writting

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I'm not saying never to question, but just because we do not know the answer to the question we dismiss it as being untrue. Just because we don't know the motives of the lord a lot of people say there is no grand designer.
edit on 123131p://3America/ChicagoMon, 19 Mar 2012 12:30:13 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I dont mind the concept of god, I do mind people telling me what he likes and doesnt like, and also that hazed look that comes over there eyes when you question them about there god and they dont need to answer becuase think that they are right becuase their religeon follows the "real" god not these fake god, and all you trying to do is not reconvert them but 'Save' them. There about 2800 gods in this world and the arrogance of some religeons to deniy that is unbelivable.

To me religeons are like tribes, the most aggresive will ALWAYS dominate, and the most peacful are wipped out.
edit on 19-3-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It cannot be denied that there is one supreme power in the universe. But when religious extremists come and say me that you will suffer in hell for not believing in *insert some fictionary comical figure*, I cannot help but laugh at their them. What you said in OP is true but unlike you most of them have themselves bound by a misinterpreted block of text fed to them by TPTB.

We all are the child of that supreme power including every being in this universe where from we come into existence and go back after death. He doesn't wants us to forcefully believe in him, he is our father and not someone like hitler who wants people to hail his name all the time. Like our parents, even if we deny that they are parents, they will always know that we are their child. And no, that supreme being won't send you to any hell. Hell is a concept for people who don't have any control over themselves and their deeds so they need the ultimate fear of hell to prevent themselves from doing bad deeds.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Who are we to question Gods motivation?

Humanity. That's who we are, and that's what we do. And if you believe we were created by the big Grandpa in the sky, and there was no error, then we're doing exactly what God itself wants us to do.

The paradoxes just keep rolling. Why would God create something that doesn't believe in him? What does God need? There's no sense in it, and twisting it around to try and justify your belief is just as pointless. Either believe or not. But there's no rational justification for belief.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I'm not saying never to question, but just because we do not know the answer to the question we dismiss it as being untrue. Just because we don't know the motives of the lord a lot of people say there is no grand designer.
edit on 123131p://3America/ChicagoMon, 19 Mar 2012 12:30:13 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

It's exactly the same for considering it true...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Actually your concept of "why" isn't anything close to "why" I believe God does not exist.

If you choose to follow a book that has been written by man, let alone translated over thousands of times, then that is your prerogative. And furthermore, if you believe that fairytale without any proof, how can you be on this website? Oh I get it.. it's not denying ignorance if God is involved

edit on 19-3-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join