It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about linking to other websites...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i have a quick question that i was not able to find the answer to on my own:

What is the policy on linking to other websites? i recently started a few threads on reddit and wanted to link them as an example of how we can all help create a more positive world. i know ATS has some very stringent rules about posting and i do not want to run afoul of them.

Just quoting the threads would not work in this case as it is not my comments, but rather the response of the community that i am trying to convey. Although i am planning on starting a similar thread here i would first like to create this linking post as an example.

Thanks for the help!

Much Love!
edit on 3/19/12 by soulshn because: I=i

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by soulshn

The answer to your question can be found in the T&C (Terms and Conditions) but not in just one clause. I'll give it a shot and what I miss can hopefully be added to by another member/Staff.

As long as you don't like to hateful content, racist content, shock content and sex content you should be okay. Basically if it fits the T&C then it is fair to be linked. No automatic downloads, no promoting of other discussion forums, chat systems, no personal websites (until you have been a member for a while with a fair number of posts yourself but I'm not sure of the number, hundreds if not thousands of posts though, from memory). No drug content in any shape or form.

You may post content from other sites as long as you give them credit (link to the article) and do not quote the whole article. 3 paragraphs or 10% of the article, whichever is less.

Hope it helps at least a little.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

In regards to the personal websites..

I'm not sure of the exact number myself but a good tip would be to, regardless of personal stats like post count, PM an admin like Springer for example and ask him if it's ok to link to a personal site. I've done it a few times now and found that route pretty helpful. I think even if you've been here for a long time and have a lot of contributing posts It's worth at least asking anyway to be honest.

edit on 19-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

It helped very much, thank you!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks for the tip!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well, for future reference: after a very gentle slap on the wrist it has come to my attention that linking to other "discussion sites" is indeed against the T&C without prior written permission.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
i have a question that is sort of related to the OP. i don't even know the term to ask or search for it but when i'm copying content from another site to this site how to i make it appear in the box that outside stuff is always posted in?

join