It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

something interesting about nanotechnology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
�If you think biotech has been moving these last few years, just wait,� said James Murday, chief scientist for the laboratories at the Office of Naval Research. �The electronics industry will be all nano by the end of the decade.�

www.nationaldefensemagazine.org...
www.nationaldefensemagazine.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Starting to sound like Deus Ex.

Nanotechnology seems to be on the verge of becoming the world's X-factor.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
ehhh another technology junkie gal here

btw anyone wud define exactly wat nanotechnology is

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cool

Well, I suppose you know what technology is, and nano is a prefix meaning one billionth. So it's technology on a very small scale. It will allow us to create materials from building blocks the size of a virus, which will come into use in metal, chemical and plastic industries.

And nanoscopic machines can have a whole range of uses in the future, many of which we probably aren't even aware of today. There are speculations for example of having small radio-controlled nanobots that can enter your bloodstream, transporting medicin or even doing internal surgery. In any case, the electronic industry will certainly take a huge leap.

I also believe there will be many not so good uses for nanotechnology, like in the development of new weapon technology and control-devices. Spying nanobots might be crawling all around us in a not so distant future.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
to me the most exciting thing in nanotechnology is possibility of production of something what we can name "cloaking device"...US army will put nanotechnology in armor camouflage - it will work something like cameleon - some devices will check the colour of enviroment to change colours if they would be different from natural enviroment.But after all we can always dream about something like predator's cloaking device!!! It could be really amazing!!! But I'm not sure if we can get so impressive effect by using nanotechnology..

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Stain-resistant fibers are also potentials from nano-technology. These may not be as glamorous as the high tech solutions but anyone who's cursed carpet stains or coffee stains on slacks will love this. Just think -- you may be someday able to wear a white shirt while eating pasta with no worries....

Super-strong building materials are also potentials. The ability to build much taller skyscrapers is possible with nano-technology. I can not find a good article to substantiate this; but it's being discussed. It does have its limitations in this application however.

The elevator in the sky is also being touted with advances with nano-technology.

Energy production is yet one more product of nano-technology.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Its an interesting topic the old nanotechnology. At the university I am hoping to get into, they have a nanotechnology lab or something, so I hope to be able to help on that project.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Basically using atoms as the building blocks for machines rather like bricks in a house.

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Basically using atoms as the building blocks for machines rather like bricks in a house.

Arent bricks made from atoms too?

top topics

join