It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joy of India's women-only trains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

India recently introduced eight women-only trains in Delhi, Mumbai (Bombay), Calcutta and Madras (Chennai). Aimed at providing safety and comfort for growing numbers of working women, the "Ladies' Specials" have proved a big hit with their passengers, as the BBC's Geeta Pandey discovered in Delhi.

What's striking about the new trains - not counting the exclusively female passengers - is the bright colours. The front of the engine is painted blue and red and the carriages are bright yellow.

All eight coaches are interconnected and brightly lit. The cushioned seats are comfortable and ceiling fans make the journey pleasant on a humid evening.

There's something I'm having trouble understanding, here.

I know that with Martin Luther King etc, one of the biggest issues in America in the 1960s, concerned black and white racism, and racial segregation; the running of black or white only buses, pubs, toilets, even drinking fountains. At the time, segregation was considered a terrible thing.

Yet when it comes to gender segregation, not only do I find that it is almost always initiated by women for their own benefit, but apparently political progressives at least, the same people who revere MLK and his push to end racial segregation, and who constantly talk about "unity," being so essential, fully support this.

I read another story, a few moments before this one, which cited a UN claim that the global rate of violence against women, was 60% of the female population.

This is also why, as a man, I have come to truthfully feel as though I have a moral responsibility to remain celibate for the rest of my life. The level of hatred that I've observed women expressing towards my own gender, is also truthfully something that I do not want to be directly exposed to.

I know women are taught, in our society, to view themselves as a persecuted, violently abused minority; but truthfully, there's another minority out there, and it's not one you hear much about.

It's men like me. Those of us who have to contend, on a continual basis, with celibacy and loneliness; partly because we've allowed ourselves to genuinely be indoctrinated with the idea that we're fundamentally animalistic, predatorial potential rapists who just can't help ourselves, and so we see ourselves as actually needing to protect women from ourselves...but also because, as mentioned, we really do not want to be directly exposed to the level of female hate towards us, that we constantly see in the media.

I know that there are a lot of women out there, who truly wish that my gender did not exist at all any more. It's honestly reached a point inside my own head, where sometimes I wish I could give you what you want. At least then, maybe one of us would be happy.
edit on 19-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I personally wish women would be women and men would be men. All this gender mixing crap needs to stop, but obviously it's not going to.

They shouldn't need these trains because women shouldn't be going to work.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This is also why, as a man, I have come to truthfully feel as though I have a moral responsibility to remain celibate for the rest of my life. The level of hatred that I've observed women expressing towards my own gender, is also truthfully something that I do not want to be directly exposed to.

...That makes no sense at all. If you see so much injustice against women, why not treat them better yourself so that you may put a little wisdom in their heads?

Besides, those trains are a neccesity in a place where there are so many millions living, so many desperate people...those conditions have sociological consequences such as harrassment of the weaker sex.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by petrus4

...That makes no sense at all. If you see so much injustice against women, why not treat them better yourself so that you may put a little wisdom in their heads?

I do, to the extent that I am around them offline.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
hmmm. I think you are deflecting your own personal issues onto women. You say you have allowed yourself to be indoctrinated by the media, which has now made you a minority of lonely celibate men. Maybe if the media has had this much power over your natural humanity, you should try and avoid the media and get out into the real world?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Normal sensible people, men and women don't persecute and don't perceive themselves as persecuted? In my experience that's more of an extreme view. I can imagine in India a women only train is a good thing for their safety.

Stop feeling persecuted OP and go out and find yourself a good woman, they're out there! You will be twice the man you are now with a loving woman supporting you.
edit on 19/3/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/3/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I don't really see anything wrong with this, I wouldn't see anything wrong with men only trains either. As long as both would serve the function they're supposed to which is to get people to work on time. In this case I think it's a safety issue.

There's no doubt that there is still gender bias against women in this world but again sometimes we see this pendulum effect, only we're human and supposed to be smarter than that. Some women go too far and choose to be offended by anything male, which is just stupid in my opinion. But we also see another pendulum effect from men because of overzealous women, in that they deny there's a problem with violence and equality.

As a woman I can attest to the fact that you can grow up not hating men and still end up physically assaulted, I can also personally attest to the fact that you can be physically assaulted and still not hate all men. Balance in perception is key. Not every claim of misogynistic abuses (cultural, economic, societal, domestic, legal) will be correct, not every claim of misogynistic abuses will be false.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
Yet when it comes to gender segregation, not only do I find that it is almost always initiated by women for their own benefit, but apparently political progressives at least, the same people who revere MLK and his push to end racial segregation, and who constantly talk about "unity," being so essential, fully support this.

This is different and living in a highly populated country like India would help you understand the difference.
Population size very much affects how to tackle certain issues.

Originally posted by petrus4

So this is a rant?
A moral responsibility to remain celibate? LOL LOL

That's a broad brush there bro

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I think you may have some deep-seeded issues there OP. You should look into why you've stated the things you have, they are not average thoughts

On topic of the female trains, this is in India, not the USA where we tout gender equality. This female train idea probably wouldn't fly here, but I think it sounds fine for India. Different culture and feelings of equality is all.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Damn it, wrong thread lol. Sorry
edit on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:52:33 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Just a wild guess here, but I think you may have had some isolated bad experiences with women that now cause you a great insecurity which you deal with by projecting those insecurites and fears onto the female population.

I had to read your OP twice just to try and get a grasp of it. I don't think your OP really has anything to do with female-only trains, it instead was something you felt you needed to get off your chest...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Considering men have had their way for centuries, I think it's a nice break from the old rancid that the ladies have their own train.

The men have had it their way for a long time. It's our turn.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

If men could keep their impulses under control they wouldn't be required.
Read about the women only cars in Japan, a more honorable people you won't find and yet on a crowded train one man out of a thousand can't resist grabbing something that is not his.

new topics

top topics

join