It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Dear ATS,

Can anyone help a graphics noob? I think I'm about to be blacklisted due to avatar size and I really don't want to break rules or get in trouble or miff people off due to the time it will take dialup/mobile users to view my animated gif avatar but I've searched and I've searched till my brain has melted and I can only find one single avatar that fits my name. It is in my avatar but it's way too big file size wise. Can anyone help me reduce the file size (either for me or telling me how to do it with Gimp, a program I can barely use but do have installed)? The file in question is

Thanks in advance.
LightSpeedDriver.

PS I heard SemperFortis mention on ATS Live that he has a "paddle" (spanking device for us non-Americans) and I really don't want to walk around with a telephone directory paddle protection device covering my behind all the time.

ETA If you could get the logo out or design something vaguely similar I'm open to suggestions too. The file isn't copyrighted but did come from a site that stamps everything posted on it.
edit on 18/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You could try an online site such as this.

Once uploaded, select resize, maybe about 90% would work. Then click on the wizard tab, then look for Gif only button. On the left is some options to reduce its quality/size further (reducing colours used etc.) Hope that helps.

btw, its hurting my eyes!

edit on 18-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Blah, double post.
Sorry

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't know how to help you, but I agree that avatar really fits your screenname
Wow. Good luck with it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Thanks but I'm still 200+kb over the limit.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Thanks, that's what I thought when I found it, it's just I am useless with using software as complicated as Gimp, not to mention I can't draw on paper, never mind a PC.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by signalfire

Thanks, that's what I thought when I found it, it's just I am useless with using software as complicated as Gimp, not to mention I can't draw on paper, never mind a PC.

Gimp is very easy to use, I think its in the top menu options under tools, to something like resize and change the resolution to something smaller.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Thats about 122kb I think. But its had frames removed...

or with colour palette reduction (repeated over and over from the website...

is about 114kb

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

That was pretty easy to use. Now its even the right file size to use as an avatar (I tested it for a few minutes).

I'm bookmarking that page.

Feel free to copy this pic to your album OP. I expect to see it up and running next time I run into you.

edit on 3/18/12 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Only just found that site myself, google, it was my friend
Mind you, I think this whole thread needs a seizure warning in the title now!

(your version, though correct dimensions, is about 300kb + which is bigger than what the Op is after I think)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

(your version, though correct dimensions, is about 300kb + which is bigger than what the Op is after I think)

The max file size for uploading a pic is 500kb (WAY too low IMHO) so he should be able to load it up just fine.

I tried it out as my avatar for a few minutes so it should work for him to.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hope you guys arent talking about stealing my avatar.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

ROFL! Couldn't help yourself could you!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
hope you guys arent talking about stealing my avatar.

Now, that's just plain rotten.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I appreciate the help but avatar file size rule is 75kb max. You did the same thing I did on that site and arrived at the same result. 368.2kb.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

I think someone needs to go sit on the naughty step for 5 minutes, possibly longer!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Thank you! I feel I'm almost there.
Maybe I can sneak a few extra kb past but I would like to remain withing the rules and not annoy people with slower links or bandwidth limitations. Thank you!
ETA I'll have another play with it tomorrow when I wake up and am alert enough to dare to look at Gimp again. Kudos. You at least gave me some good pointers, palette reduction, frame removal.

edit on 18/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I've used avatars bigger than 75 kb in the past. I doubt anyone would bother to check the file size unless someone complained or something.

If I were you, I'd upload it as my avatar and see what happens. Worse case scenario; the mods tell you to stop using it. As long as you don't argue with them, there should be no problems.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think your animated gif should be in the blue spectrum.

In orange, you look like explodinglavadriver...
But it's nice!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Great idea. Probably less likely to induce seizures too.

This one is only 182 KB so it probably wouldn't draw mod action.

ETA: you also wouldn't have to worry about lacrimosa complaining that you stole his avatar.

ETA (part II): Here, I got the original image down to 91kb if the mods complain about that, then they can go
themselves.

edit on 3/18/12 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join