It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Either way good chat sir, good chat indeed.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Haha!

You're awesome. I was about to say the same thing since I need to scram.
Have a fantastic afternoon.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
reply to post by Annee

Well, I googled "Dictionary" and then went to the first 4 or 5. They all had included both definitions.

They should ask an Atheist. An Atheist knows the correct definition.

In Greek "a" means "without" or "not" and "theos" means "god." From this standpoint an atheist would simply be someone without a belief in God, not necessarily someone who believes that God does not exist. According to its Greek roots, then, atheism is a negative view, characterized by the absence of belief in God. [Michael Martin, Atheism: A Philosophical Justification, p. 463. www.infidels.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
An atheists definition is a biased definition, not consistent with definition we've been using since the word was inducted.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian

I don't necessarily think there's a true 'metaphysical universe' that can't be studied. Philosophy is one thing, but the fields of consciousness research and how it relates to the physical, where it comes from, etc are all extremely young fields. Most parts are only in their infancy, and I am extremely excited to see how things progress. Sure, science doesn't explain everything, let alone perfectly, but it's a process of discovery that everyone should at least be interested in. (My opinion, obviously.)

I agree.

I believe everything is energy. That nothing really exists but in energy consciousness - - like a thought.

Anyway - - I was listening to a talk radio show the other day - - and a scientist was on explaining how everything is energy. Apparently from recent studies/experiments.

I was driving on the freeway - - couldn't write down his name - - and can't remember. But I think we will be hearing more soon.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Anyway - - I was listening to a talk radio show the other day - - and a scientist was on explaining how everything is energy. Apparently from recent studies/experiments.

I was driving on the freeway - - couldn't write down his name - - and can't remember. But I think we will be hearing more soon.
Hmmmm, let me think....could it be......SATAN?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You can find the word "Cold" in the dictionary also.

cold   [kohld] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective
having a relatively low temperature; having little or no warmth: cold water; a cold day.
feeling an uncomfortable lack of warmth; chilled: The skaters were cold.
having a temperature lower than the normal temperature of the human body: cold hands.
lacking in passion, emotion, enthusiasm, ardor, etc.; dispassionate: cold reason.
not affectionate, cordial, or friendly; unresponsive: a cold reply; a cold reception.

But the fake "Einstein" in the OP defined it as "the absence of heat."

Student : And is there such a thing as Cold?
Professor : Yes.
Student : No, sir. There isn’t.
(The Lecture Theatre became very quiet with this turn of events )
Student : Sir, you can have Lots of Heat, even More Heat, Superheat, Mega Heat, White Heat, a Little Heat or No Heat. But we don’t have anything called Cold. We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is No Heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as Cold. Cold is only a Word we use to describe the Absence of Heat. We cannot Measure Cold. Heat is Energy. Cold is Not the Opposite of Heat, sir, just the Absence of it.

So, is there a belief in non-belief? No!

A child will believe whatever an authority figure tells them because they have no point of reference to tell them that people can be wrong or that they lie, yet. So a person can grow up believing something, only to find that their critical thinking abilities have kicked in and have determined something else to be true. They stop believing based on faith alone, and rely on their own interpretation of reality.

edit on 20-3-2012 by windword because: -

edit on 20-3-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

having a relatively low temperature; having little or no warmth: cold water; a cold day.
feeling an uncomfortable lack of warmth; chilled: The skaters were cold.

Huh? By providing those definitions, you just proved what the "fake Einstein" said...
edit on 20-3-2012 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Hmmmm, let me think....could it be......SATAN?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No, it fails to provide for the absence of heat, or energy. Lack of warmth doesn't cut it, scientifically.

Atheism is the absence of belief.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Here's just a fraction of evidence that god and Santa are one in the same.

Edit to add this one

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

That's like saying atheists have the mind of a child who doesn't know better. I'm sure there are many atheists that don't like you speaking for them.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

Here's just a fraction of evidence that god and Santa are one in the same.

I don't see any evidence. I would need some kind of empirical evidence that shows God and Santa Claus are the same, and that doesn't cut it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

That's like saying atheists have the mind of a child who doesn't know better. I'm sure there are many atheists that don't like you speaking for them.

Um, here's my reply to that.

A child will believe whatever an authority figure tells them because they have no point of reference to tell them that people can be wrong or that they lie, yet. So a person can grow up believing something, only to find that their critical thinking abilities have kicked in and have determined something else to be true. They stop believing based on faith alone, and rely on their own interpretation of reality.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Everyone has the mind of a child when they are a child. Every child is fed stories by their parents. Children tend to believe their parents.

Don't try to twist meanings.

Atheism is the absence of belief - - just as windword posted.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Um, here's my reply to that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not all people grew up believing in something because of indoctrination. What kind of indoctrination did the authority figure have growing up? I'm talking about the original authority figure. There was none

It's a bad comparison to say that kids not exposed to the idea of God are like atheists, because atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist. People are not born atheist. They actually have no belief either way until someone introduces the notion to them.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Everyone has the mind of a child when they are a child. Every child is fed stories by their parents. Children tend to believe their parents.

Don't try to twist meanings.

Atheism is the absence of belief - - just as windword posted.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

I don't think you are a child anymore. Would you like for your mind to be compared to that of a child? I don't really know why you would. You're going to have to explain that to me.

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist. Someone that was an atheist can become a theist, someone that was a theist can become an atheist. There is belief all round. It's absurd to say at one moment they have some sort of belief, and the next they have a lack of belief totally. The question is whether God exists or not, some people believe it to be true and some believe it to not be true. There is no special position to be had once you have been exposed to the idea.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

No, it fails to provide for the absence of heat, or energy. Lack of warmth doesn't cut it, scientifically.

Another example of the "letter" being upheld over the "idea" behind it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Do you see the difference between the phrases "I do not believe they exist" and "I believe they do not exist"? If not...well....don't know what to tell you.

edit on 20-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

edit on 20-3-2012 by windword because: whoops

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join