It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

You're just like the people that I used to go to church with.

"The world is only 6,000 years old, you can't convince me otherwise."

Only I'm not, because there are facts that show the Earth is older. There are no facts showing god exists. So I do not believe. Why are you so offended in a disbelief in something that does not have facts to back it up?

Only an irrational person would have such a stance!

If you could look up your name in the dictionary and it had the definition of 'baby' next to it, would you believe it? LOL I'm sure you'd think about it a lot. It might even cause you to go into denial.

can't get anymore juvenile than that!

But I'm sure you'll end up surprising me with something else.
edit on 3-27-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Atheists believe that God doesn't exist. It not a complete lack of belief because you'd have to suppose that an atheist also doesn't believe that God doesn't exist.

You suggest that you don't have a belief in God. You are suggesting that you have an infantile mind. I'm trying to convince you otherwise, but you won't have it.

Sorry, I got to take your burger away, that's not for babies to have.

God doesn't exist. Absent tangible evidence to the contrary, why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

Though the message may sometimes be honorable, some of us still don't believe in that cryptic book of fairy tales. There's nothing wrong with that.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

It is shown that religious people have an over expression of the bmat-2 gene which causes the right middle frontal gyrus of the brain to activate (the part of the brain that controls beliefs and desires) when speaking of religion. This inhibits their rationality. It is clear which side of the post satron sits on (claiming he is on the fence as to not get flamed) as he has not once in this thread countered any theistic argument, and chooses to only focus on atheists. Strange for someone who claims to not have an opinion either way.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~

God doesn't exist.

You say you know that, but you aren't gnostic. You're a liar. I'm sure you're pretty confident in your beliefs, but you still don't know it.

Wouldn't it be nice to know, so that you could definitively put theists in their spot?

Too bad you can't!

Why?

Because you don't know.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox
reply to post by ~Vixen~

It is shown that religious people have an over expression of the bmat-2 gene which causes the right middle frontal gyrus of the brain to activate (the part of the brain that controls beliefs and desires) when speaking of religion. This inhibits their rationality.

Link?

It is clear which side of the post satron sits on (claiming he is on the fence as to not get flamed)

I sit on the side of reason. Haven't seen you over on this side for awhile now.

as he has not once in this thread countered any theistic argument, and chooses to only focus on atheists. Strange for someone who claims to not have an opinion either way.

They can consider what I'm saying. I said it's impossible to know, you think I'm just speaking about you when I say that? How presumptuous you are!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

God doesn't exist.

You say you know that, but you aren't gnostic. You're a liar. I'm sure you're pretty confident in your beliefs, but you still don't know it.

Wouldn't it be nice to know, so that you could definitively put theists in their spot?

Too bad you can't!

Why?

Because you don't know.

Nor do I care what the religious nutters believe.

Life is too short and precious to waste in meaningless flame bait threads such as this.

Either god doesn't exist (my belief) *or* he's a really heartless and sadistic bastard that I choose not to know. If his followers in this thread are any indication of the caliber individual I'd get to spend eternity with should I be wrong, I think I'd pass on an eternity of rudeness, hypocrisy, trolling and gross superiority complexes.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Nor do I care what the religious nutters believe.

But why would you claim to know something you don't? You're putting yourself in the same bin as them.

Life is too short and precious to waste in meaningless flame bait threads such as this.

I know that people were trolling this thread. I don't really care. I'm here to set the record straight. Why? Because everyone is better off living by notions that aren't true.

Either god doesn't exist (my belief) *or* he's a really heartless and sadistic bastard that I choose not to know. If his followers in this thread are any indication of the caliber individual I'd get to spend eternity with should I be wrong, I think I'd pass on an eternity of rudeness, hypocrisy, trolling and gross superiority complexes.

I don't think most of the theist response in this thread is typical. Negative stereotypes maybe, but not typical. If you're trying to get away from trolling, you should consider some of the atheist responses to this thread. Not as easily avoidable as you think.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Link?

Oops, typo. Vmat-2*
en.wikipedia.org...

I sit on the side of reason. Haven't seen you over on this side for awhile now.

You sit on the side of theism, for reasons self evident reasons.

They can consider what I'm saying. I said it's impossible to know, you think I'm just speaking about you when I say that? How presumptuous you are!

Maybe if you didn't only reply to atheists...?

It's okay, we can all see where you stand mr theist

edit on 3-27-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

God doesn't exist.

Too bad you can't!

Why?

Because it is a made up claim.

ftfy

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The first post make me think if I am Atheist because the professors statement was rumbling around my head.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Too bad you can't!

Why?

Because you don't know.

And you know how? Oh, that's right, your book told you it was true.

* rolls eyes *

Following that logic, I could pick just about any book, twist its meaning to fit my goal, and it automatically becomes true as long as I believe it, right? Let's go there...

You quote your bible as fact, and many people quote the bible to justify intolerance for gays. so let's say I choose to follow... Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham as my book of truth...

Seuss 12:2-9 (Green Eggs and Ham, page 12, lines 2 through 9) says:

I would not, could not, in the rain.
Not in the dark. Not on a train,
Not in a car, Not in a tree.
I do not like them, Sam, you see.
Not in a house. Not in a box.
Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
I will not eat them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere!
With a bit of belief, one could conceivably twist Seuss' classic childrens story to support intolerance for gays, just as is done with your bible. Just because I can twist words to fit my agenda doesn't make it fact without verifiable proof.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Too bad you can't!

Why?

Because you don't know.

And you know how? Oh, that's right, your book told you it was true.

* rolls eyes *

Following that logic, I could pick just about any book, twist its meaning to fit my goal, and it automatically becomes true as long as I believe it, right? Let's go there...

You quote your bible as fact, and many people quote the bible to justify intolerance for gays. so let's say I choose to follow... Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham as my book of truth...

Seuss 12:2-9 (Green Eggs and Ham, page 12, lines 2 through 9) says:

I would not, could not, in the rain.
Not in the dark. Not on a train,
Not in a car, Not in a tree.
I do not like them, Sam, you see.
Not in a house. Not in a box.
Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
I will not eat them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere!
With a bit of belief, one could conceivably twist Seuss' classic childrens story to support intolerance for gays, just as is done with your bible. Just because I can twist words to fit my agenda doesn't make it fact without verifiable proof.
Ahahaha you just owned that guy hard.

Que ignorant response from Satron in 3..2..1

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

Ahahaha you just owned that guy hard.

Que ignorant response from Satron in 3..2..1

How does green eggs and ham work that way? You would have to change a few words which would make it not the same story anymore correct? So in that"passage" we are to take "do not EAT" as do not actually eat or to not partake of? or eat as in eat their _ _ _?

Anyway we are not supposed to judge anyone and so many people refuse to see that in the Bible. We can express how God helped US personally,but not push i ton anyone. If someone is curious they will come to you,but even if they do you are to not judge or push it on them. Not every christian is a pushy evangelical like mos tpeople think. I am like if it makes you happy do it. Its YOUR body not mine. You have to find your own way.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Hmm, Atheists, they're people too. It doesn't matter what ideology you have, or which color of lens you see the world through. Ideology can be a useful tool, but sometimes people take it to the extreme. I've had atheists as well as religious people try and prove to me why I was wrong, and they were right. Religious people try to say well I'm going to hell because I don't believe the way that they do, and I've had atheists tell me I was deluding myself and I should come live in the 'real' world.

The truth is, we don't know what the 'real' world is yet. We're still practically children, fighting amongst ourselves. A world full of humans, judging each other based off of belief systems, skin color, sexuality, and politics. We still go and kill each other, and when it really comes down to it ideology is usually the cause.

The whole evolution thing doesn't prove or disprove squat, it just tells us how life developed and still does over time. It doesn't disprove God, and God definitely doesn't disprove evolution. Our psychology and neuroscience disciplines have come a long way sure, but they almost always disregard the supernatural as psychosis or a brain fart of some kind. Mass hallucinations for example, if you've ever had one of those with a group of people you might question science as well. Sometimes they are caused by subconscious cues and body language, sometimes they aren't and some of you know exactly what mean because some experiences prove themselves as being currently unexplainable. I think one day we will be able to scientifically explain what we currently call 'supernatural', and it won't be so super anymore just natural.

As far as the OP's philosophical argument, here is my answer to how God could be all good and yet create evil and let bad things occur. God is all good and all powerful, but that doesn't mean that everything that exists is good. If there wasn't evil in the world, then there would be no growth. Face it, challenge and hardship either makes us or breaks us. The universe is not God, ok? God exists beyond it, everything in the universe resulted from a form of evolution, from matter, to stars and galaxies, to planets and all life on earth. It's been a work in progress, and in order for that work to continue some things must eventually come to an end so that new things can sprout up. Everything dies, nothing stays the same. If you really think about that statement, then you'll understand. If we lived in never never land where nothing bad ever happened then we would have no drive to make the world a better place. Sometimes being a good parent means letting your child make mistakes, even though those mistakes could destroy their future, or worse kill them and/or others.

Anyway that's my view on it, and that doesn't make it the truth either.

Famous last words, "Can't we all just get along?".

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: knightsofcydonia

Whole quote is debunked: www.snopes.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Vixen~

Though the message may sometimes be honorable, some of us still don't believe in that cryptic book of fairy tales. There's nothing wrong with that.

No there isn't anything wrong with not believing
anytrhing in the sixtysix or eighty books of scripture
that make up the canon. However, atheists who show
thier contempt and utter hatred, for any piece of ancient
literature, simply because it chronicles how God has had to
deal with his creation ( man ) in the past. And also warns those
who still can't figure out to this day. That our intelligence is only
one hundred percent astray, without the guidance of our one
true oracle God. So much so that it's obvious our attempt at
a world with out him, will soon lead to our complete distruction?

It seems to me, you are the reason he hasn't put a stop to this mess
we have made, of our own lives and even the very system, that supports
life on the whole planet. We were made in his image and meant for much
greater things than, a world full of greed and death. But we're stuck with it
and it isn't by any choice I would personally make. But a choice someone
of the like minded to an atheist, must have made for all of us, a long time
ago. So I do very much dispise, the way you people refer to this, or any
piece of ancient literature as fairytales. It is however a great indicator
of your intellectual dishonesty. Because it is so obviously everything but a
fairytale.

edit on Rpm21615v55201500000024 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

However, atheists who show
thier contempt and utter hatred, for any piece of ancient
literature, simply because it chronicles how God has had to
deal with his creation ( man ) in the past.

Wrong. They don't hate ancient pieces of literature. What some hate or dislike are some of the people who use the bible as a reason to be sh*tty to people. Some people tend to use Religion/bible/etc. to justify their self-righteous, arrogant and mean spirited actions and speech toward other people. Some start to believe that they are better than others and use cherry picked passages out of the bible as the justification to act that way.

It seems to me, you are the reason he hasn't put a stop to this mess
we have made, of our own lives and even the very system, that supports
life on the whole planet. We were made in his image and meant for much
greater things than, a world full of greed and death. But we're stuck with it
and it isn't by any choice I would personally make. But a choice someone
of the like minded to an atheist, must have made for all of us, a long time
ago. So I do very much dispise, the way you people refer to this, or any
piece of ancient literature as fairytales. It is however a great indicator
of your intellectual dishonesty. Because it is so obviously everything but a
fairytale.

Exactly my point. You use it to justify blaming others for the everything wrong in the world. How it is that you don't notice how hateful you're being by saying stuff like that is beyond me. It's not even a reasonable accusation to make in the first place. You're blaming everything that you view as negative in the world on some alleged person that would of existed eons before you were even born. That's just nonsense. Not to mention it goes against so many of the lessons found within the very pages of the book you claim to follow.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Exactly my point. You use it to justify blaming others for the everything wrong in the world. How it is that you don't notice how hateful you're being by saying stuff like that is beyond me. It's not even a reasonable accusation to make in the first place. You're blaming everything that you view as negative in the world on some alleged person that would of existed eons before you were even born. That's just nonsense. Not to mention it goes against so many of the lessons found within the very pages of the book you claim to follow.

Your response is an expected one. But would only be valid if I
were'n't speaking from the truth as I know it to be, by what makes
perfect sense to me to be believed. As the total disrespect most
atheists deem as being, so super cool, speaks for itself. There's no
excusing it. And it is very silly and plainly not spoken from any where
close to the truth. So argue as you will from your point of complete
transgression. No judgement, just observation.

edit on Rpm21615v572015u45 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
Your response is an expected one. But would only be valid if I
were'n't speaking from the truth as I know it to be, by what makes
perfect sense to me to be believed.

Of course it's expected. You put forward a completely baseless accusation blaming "somebody" near the beginning of time for all the negative qualities of reality.

More specifically you actually directed it at the other ATS member you were talking to when you said: "It seems to me, you are the reason he hasn't put a stop to this mess
we have made, of our own lives and even the very system, that supports life on the whole planet."

Not too cool man. Like I said, Self-Righteous, arrogant and mean spirited. I couldn't have asked for a better example.

"Truth as I know it to be..." or in other words your Subjective Truth. aka Your opinion.

As the total disrespect most
atheists deem as being, so super cool, speaks for itself. There's no
excusing it. And it is very silly and plainly not spoken from any where
close to the truth. So argue as you will from your point of complete
transgression. No judgement, just observation.

Now you're just babbling.

What's to argue??? Are you now trying to blame me for something???

By all means, continue. I'd love to see how deep you plan on digging this hole you've put yourself in.
edit on 17-2-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Hole? It's nothing but the whole truth and I have
no reason to be sorry for any of it. And I'm not going to try
an excuse the truth either. Atheism lacks truth and I point that out
very well. In fact, I like what I wrote. Loooooove it. Atheists are mostly
people who think they can just go thru life completely disrespecting
everything they don't like, without consequence. Then cry the blues
when they get smacked across the face with the truth of thier pathetic
arrogance. Most need to grow up. So take you're final shot, as I expect
more of your self pity drivel. I won't respond further.

Just remember bra, the last thing I have to worry about, is being cool.
I never worry about what I write or what I've done.
I'm so cool, I make refrigerators run.

edit on Ram21715v232015u00 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39 >>

join