It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Right, but that doesn't make Disney Land heaven, or Micheal Jackson Jesus. Just because people have wild imaginations doesn't make it true cosmic law.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by satron

Right, but that doesn't make Disney Land heaven, or Micheal Jackson Jesus. Just because people have wild imaginations doesn't make it true cosmic law.

People are allowed to believe whatever the hell they want. Even after all the taunting and whatever, they still can.

Why? Because belief doesn't require proof. If there was proof either way, it wouldn't be a belief so much as it would be knowledge.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Yes, but, by not abiding by those beliefs doesn't mean that I had to once consider them as true, and have some kind of intellectual debate about them, in order to to maintain my sanity.
edit on 22-3-2012 by windword because: o

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

I think we need to be careful not to deify those that we think are superior. Everything better, greener grass isn't necessarily god.

Atheism is a child that needs to be bent over and spanked...

edit on 22-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

Yes, but, by not abiding by those beliefs doesn't mean that I had to once consider them as true, and have some kind of intellectual debate about them, in order to to maintain my sanity.

You never had to abide by them, all you had to do was assess what the message was and decide to believe that it should be true for you, or not true.

Debating about religious beliefs is a joy ride, let me tell you.

You've got one side that has no proof one way or the other, and you have another side that has no proof one way or the other. There really shouldn't be a debate to begin with. The debate more than likely is started by someone that has doubts about their beliefs, so they need someone to try and sink their ship, so to speak. In the end, nothing was really proven or disproved (unless you're talking about things like rabbits chewing their cud, which in that case, is wrong, but is a small enough of a detail that it won't shake the core of the believer) but the person will either have their beliefs strengthen or weakened.

If strengthened, the person won't do anything to change their position.

If weakened, the person will be tempted to modify their belief, or reject it completely. The rejection could be for another religion or to come to the conclusion that the belief in God is silly, and just believe that God doesn't exist.
edit on 22-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron

reply to post by satron

You never had to abide by them, all you had to do was assess what the message was and decide to believe that it should be true for you, or not true.

Debating about religious beliefs is a joy ride, let me tell you.

You've got one side that has no proof one way or the other, and you have another side that has no proof one way or the other. There really shouldn't be a debate to begin with. The debate more than likely is started by someone that has doubts about their beliefs, so they need someone to try and sink their ship, so to speak. In the end, nothing was really proven or disproved (unless you're talking about things like rabbits chewing their cud, which in that case, is wrong, but is a small enough of a detail that it won't shake the core of the believer) but the person will either have their beliefs strengthen or weakened.

If strengthened, the person won't do anything to change their position.

If weakened, the person will be tempted to modify their belief, or reject it completely. The rejection could be for another religion or to come to the conclusion that the belief in God is silly, and just believe that God doesn't exist.

Actually, being able to debate one side or the other of a religious argument is pretty new. Before, you would lose your head or worse. Jeeze, I've lost jobs because I didn't agree with the religious office norm of Christianity.

If a "belief" is easily weakened, well.......................I guess it didn't have much root.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So, you don't believe in God because there is lack of evidence to support any reason for you to believe in God. Your belief in the non-existence of God is dictated by empiricism. You need some evidence that can genuinely be taken in by your senses so that it can be more tangent to you, and until then, you're fine with just saying that you believe God doesn't exist.
I can except this, but I'd call it disbelief.

Not saying that empiricism isn't a bad way to base your assumptions on, but if you lived in old world Europe, you would dismiss the notion that there was a "new world" across the ocean.
I wouldn't readily dismiss it, because I live on a continent myself. So, the idea that another continent could exist wouldn't be far fetched.

Atheism is your belief, and empircism is a big part of your belief system, or doctrine.
If that's how you want to word it, go ahead, have at it. I do not believe gods exist. That's all I potentially have in common with other atheists. On everything else, we may disagree.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Atheism is your belief, and empircism is a big part of your belief system, or doctrine.
If that's how you want to word it, go ahead, have at it. I do not believe gods exist. That's all I potentially have in common with other atheists. On everything else, we may disagree.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

Well, you see that atheists do have a belief system. Atheists don't simply believe that there is no God for no good reason.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Well, you see that atheists do have a belief system. Atheists don't simply believe that there is no God for no good reason.
Of course there is a reason we disbelieve: no credible evidence. Why is it so important for you to say that we believe? What do you want to prove here? What is your goal?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Based on what information? Around 13% of the global population is atheist/irreligious right now. That's nearly 900 million people. You're saying that in 38 years, despite atheism/irreligious continuing to grow for decades, suddenly that number will drop to 178 million or so?

Will it be the rapture? Please say yes so I can just ignore all further posts based on total irrationality...

they are not really, I had a nice pie graph once maybe I can dig it out... Religion is something all together different than "Theism" try to remember atheist are against all theism not just certain religions... this will make you a better atheist.

besides atheism wouldn't have no God to diss if it wasn't for theism... and might I add the atheist only seem to know of Monotheism's God, more specifically "Christians" they concentrate their hate (not love) specially towards this group.

it's quite simple.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Based on what information? Around 13% of the global population is atheist/irreligious right now. That's nearly 900 million people. You're saying that in 38 years, despite atheism/irreligious continuing to grow for decades, suddenly that number will drop to 178 million or so?

Will it be the rapture? Please say yes so I can just ignore all further posts based on total irrationality...

the percentage will remain the same as growth occurs... and it has.

now what I am trying to figure out more so who you are attacking or directing your hate towards? Theist of all religions or just the Christian lot that your language and pretty much every thought revolves around?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yeah, and the reason is your doctrine. Just like you can ask a theist their reason for believing, and that is a part of their doctrine.

Of course there is a reason we disbelieve: no credible evidence.

I wouldn't say we, like you know exactly why every atheist is an atheist. I'm sure there are different reasons.

Why is it so important for you to say that we believe?

Because thinking that atheism is a lack of belief is a false notion. It's not possible for someone to say their position isn't anywhere regarding something they've made a position on.

"My position is non-position"
"My opinion is non-opinion"
"My judgement is non-judgement"
"MY theory is non-theory"

It doesn't make sense to say.

What do you want to prove here? What is your goal?

To root out zany notions.

I think a bit why some atheists claim that their belief is non-belief is because they want to be and feel like they are superior to someone that believes.

The superiority isn't real. I can see this in other stereotypical statements that atheists make, like, "Science proves there is no God" They obviously don't think too much when saying things like that, so there is another reason they say, and I think it's because they feel good letting those words go across their lips and watching the reaction of the person they are vocalizing to. Many people will just think "Damn, he's probably right" even though they didn't really think about it either. And so a debate was won because of a false statement. Goody! Talk about productive!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I think a bit why some atheists claim that their belief is non-belief is because they want to be and feel like they are superior to someone that believes.

this is not good down the long road looking at the grand scheme of things... to me this would lead to one persons life being more important than the next's. Kind of like we had back where there were pharaohs and all that jazz.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm just going to post articles from now on in this thread - - because some have gone beyond ignorant to ridiculous.

Please follow the link and read the Entire article.

The Persistent And Incorrect Belief That Atheism Is A Religion

I wrote an article a while back that debunks the myth that Atheism is a religion.

It is suggested by many people that atheism is a religion. Before we can examine why atheism is sometimes defined as a belief, it is important to understand who defines it as such. Rarely, if ever, will you find another atheist, agnostic, freethinker, humanist, secularist, etc., putting the definition of religion in the context of atheism. Almost without exception, it is the religious who do so. The reason is simple. The religious are are so caught up in their own beliefs that imagining another person without having any religious beliefs is largely incomprehensible. Those who claim that atheism is a religion do not only lack a clear understanding of what atheism is, they also tend to use religious terms to describe atheism.

There exists only one definition of atheism, and that is simply the lack of a belief in a deity. There is a philosophical aspect to atheism, but it is not part of the definition, but an extension of the individual.
atheists.org...

edit on 22-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The article wasn't very good, I liked the comments better.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It was a great article - - - which is why you don't like it.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

LOL Do you believe that is why I didn't like it, or do you lack the belief that I didn't like it any other way?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

LOL Do you believe that is why I didn't like it, or do you lack the belief that I didn't like it any other way?

Honestly I don't care - - because you are ridiculous.

You've had Atheism explained to you - - - and you reject it because its not what YOU think. What YOU want to believe.

But who cares what YOU think about Atheism? Or what YOU believe about Atheism.

Certainly not this Atheist.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
and might I add the atheist only seem to know of Monotheism's God, more specifically "Christians" they concentrate their hate (not love) specially towards this group.

it's quite simple.
I was a christian for around 20 years, so I know more about christianity than Islam, Hinduism, or any other belief system. I imagine most of us here know more about chrisitianity than the others, that's why it seemes we "concentrate our hate" towards that group.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I imagine most of us here know more about Christianity than the others, that's why it seems we "concentrate our hate" towards that group.

Is it hate? Really?

I don't think there is any doubt Christian's hate Atheists - - - but do Atheists really hate Christians?

I personally think they only hate their affects on government.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join