It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by satron
Lets delve into the belief system of an atheist. Annee, would you like to participate?

There is none.

Actually I beleive Aetheism IS a religion. See they have a beleif that God is not real because they cannot see or touch him. they have faith in their beleif there is No God as well. Now to have faith is to beleive in something. The aetheist has faith in Science and Logic,but sometimes Science and logic fails,but they have faith that a new better theory wil come along. Some aetheist get down right mean when you argue this point with them. Still it is just my opinion and I do not even want to try to tell anyone how to live a some would do.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Just because the quote has "god" in it, people seem to think he's advocating gods existence. This isn't the case. He said that, or something very similar, a few times. All when discussing the complexities of the young, young field of quantum mechanics. It's simply a metaphor to explain his feeling that the universe isn't as chaotic and disorderly as it appeared at the quantum level. He had mentioned a few times that although he was a Jew he held none of their beliefs and was a Jew only because he was born as one and people feel a need to label each other.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa

Originally posted by satron
Lets delve into the belief system of an atheist. Annee, would you like to participate?

There is none.

Actually I beleive Aetheism IS a religion. See they have a beleif that God is not real because they cannot see or touch him. they have faith in their beleif there is No God as well.

Atheism is NOT a religion. There is ZERO belief.

Lack of belief - - is not disbelieving in something.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

I respect your opinion and agree with your last sentence, but I whole-heartedly disagree with your assertion that atheism is a religion.

re·li·gion    [ri-lij-uhn]

noun

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism doesn't have a "set of beliefs" so that throws all those definitions out. The word itself means "to bind" in a religious context. To bind to a set of beliefs concerning a divine force, deity, etc. Belief and faith have definitions that directly relate to religion, but they don't relate to atheism. Please do not freely swap definitions, as others continually do, to insinuate otherwise.

(Anyone else have FireFox? It just made everything funky looking so I shut it off and it updated.)
edit on 3/21/2012 by LuckyLucian because: Damned FireFox update...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Why did you not quote the entire post minus yours Annee? I explained further below. Aetheist beleive in non beleif then according to your post. Its still is Technically a beleif then. Im not trying to make anyone mad though,So i am going to just sit back and watch again after this.

edit on 21-3-2012 by yuppa because: It was not clear enough toward who i was responding to.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Why did you cherry pick? I explained further below. Aetheist beleive in non beleif then according to your post. Its still is Technically a beleif then. Im not trying to make anyone mad though,So i am going to just sit back and watch again after this.

I am really tired of repeating this.

Nothing is nothing. It is not something. A void is a void. It is not a hole you fill with something.

What Is Atheism?
No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God." Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. www.atheists.org...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by AllIsOne
And yes, Atheism is also a belief system.
It is a belief system? Can you show me the tenents of atheism? Show me the dogma we abide by? All we say is "I do not believe your claim that gods exist". Apart from that, we can differ on anything else. How is that a belief system? It's a rejection to the claim of gods existing, that's all.

I'm an agnostic atheist by the way. I don't know if gods exist, but I do not believe they do.

EDIT: And by the way, the thread title says "Atheism is just silly". So, what the OP is saying is that rejecting the claim that gods exist is silly. That's all. And if he feels that way, that's cool.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

Your quote: "I do not BELIEVE your claim that gods exist". You didn't say "I know that no gods exist". If you believe something to be true, but you cannot prove it, it is then based in a belief system.

The existence of Gods is not falsifiable, therefore any pro or cons are not based on facts, but believe
The only sensible answer to the God question is Agnosticism.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Knowledge is dictated by our evidence, observation and investigation. That there is no evidence for god leads to the understanding (re: knowledge) that there is no god. The existence of god need not be "falsifiable" because that presupposes the existence for something for which there is no evidence to begin with. Therefore, the only sensible answer is that god doesn't exist. What you are claiming is that it is "sensible", without any kind of evidence, to believe in something. That is nonsensical, irrational and illogical.

Also, by that argument, all deists must therefore believe in all other gods.
edit on 3/22/2012 by LuckyLucian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Why did you cherry pick? I explained further below. Aetheist beleive in non beleif then according to your post. Its still is Technically a beleif then. Im not trying to make anyone mad though,So i am going to just sit back and watch again after this.

Nothing is nothing. It is not something. A void is a void. It is not a hole you fill with something.

This is a very bad choice of words. QM has shown that you are dead wrong about the void. Maybe you are dead wrong about your other belief ...

www.physorg.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Really? I mean... really?

She's speaking metaphorically. The "void" in your heart. The "void" in your soul. I think this was more a bad choice of understanding. We aren't talking about f'ing quantum mechanics here. And besides that, nothing is still nothing.

Are you screwing with us? Seriously, are you?
edit on 3/22/2012 by LuckyLucian because: I type too fast...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

This is a very bad choice of words. QM has shown that you are dead wrong about the void.

Simplification is simplification.

I'm not interested in a physics lesson.

Lack of - - is without substance. Do you like that one better?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian

Knowledge is dictated by our evidence, observation and investigation. That there is no evidence for god leads to the understanding (re: knowledge) that there is no god. The existence of god need not be "falsifiable" because that presupposes the existence for something for which there is no evidence to begin with. Therefore, the only sensible answer is that god doesn't exist. What you are claiming is that it is "sensible", without any kind of evidence, to believe in something. That is nonsensical, irrational and illogical.

Also, by that argument, all deists must therefore believe in all other gods.
edit on 3/22/2012 by LuckyLucian because: (no reason given)

Nice try, but no cigar yet.

A "creator" who exists outside of time and space cannot be observed, or investigated by current scientific means. Falsifiability does apply in all cases.

Your circular logic is based on the fact that you are setting your own rules re evidence and proof.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

This is a very bad choice of words. QM has shown that you are dead wrong about the void.

Deny ignorance. Your answer shows me that your mind is made up, no matter what. Rather sad ...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

Don't get upset. A little knowledge is never a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Deny ignorance. Your answer shows me that your mind is made up, no matter what. Rather sad ...

Think pre-school and crayons. A picture diagram for toddlers.

Nothing is nothing. If you have substance - you have to have something to put it in. Not possible when there is nothing. As in a void.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

Also, I do understand that the term "nothing" is crucial for the belief system of Atheists, but your affirmation that nothing is simply nothing is amusing
Maybe your lack of knowledge doesn't just apply to physics.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

There's nothing circular here. No evidence -> no god. Very direct. To believe there's a god, outside of time and space even, requires all matter of mental gymnastics. I'm not setting my own rules for evidence, I'm using the same rules I was taught in grade school, high school, college and on into my post academic life. The same rules we all use... except for people that believe in gods, when they speak about it.

Super-duper God

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I am an atheist who lacks a belief in bible god (and all the other gods humans have invented) in the same way a Christian lacks a belief in that blue elephant-headed Hindu god or Thor or Zeus and I do so for exactly the same reason as the Christian

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Mhmm. That's very amusing. We all know quite well there's no "belief" system for atheists, no matter the protestations otherwise by deists. So, yes, let's keep repeating there is until it becomes true...

I went to UIC for physics, zipperhead.

Although I was having fun, I'm tired of this particular troll.

Next.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

See that is exactly it. It is ridiculously obvious to an atheist, but is ridiculously complicated for a deist to grasp. To a Christian, for instance, they don't think twice about Ganesh or Shiva and whether they exist or not, it's obvious to them that there's just no proof. But for their own god? Now they have to go through all these mental contortions to justify its existence.

For an atheist it's just as easy (like the Christians with other gods) to also say the Christian god isn't real. It's just obvious and we spend no thought trying to justify that stance. It's simple. No god.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join