It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by satron
I never said that atheism was a belief system, you're going to have to quote me on that. I'm sure in some instances that atheism can be a belief system. Oh wait, there is: Bhuddism, Satanism.
Bhuddists can be atheists, but Bhuddism isn't atheism, lol. Again, all atheism is, is the response to a statement that gods exist. We say, "I don't believe it."

If someone doesn't believe in God, their position is an atheist's position. Buddhists don't believe in God. Thus the Buddhist's position is the atheist's position.

Don't tell me you think they aren't. Atheism isn't your special position that belongs to a special chosen few. What you're saying is tantamount to saying that one religious faith is the true theist, while all the others are fake theists that don't deserve to be called one.

"Bhuddists aren't atheists." Another silly thing atheists will say?

"Atheism is our special non-position that shows that we are superior to all other positions in the belief in God"

Silly atheist, lack of belief is for kids.

edit on 21-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

"Bhuddhists aren't atheists." Another silly thing atheists will say?

Buddhists are not Atheist - - they are Atheistic - - in they do not believe in a God - - but they do have a belief system.

Atheist - - does not have a belief system.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Buddhists are not Atheist - - they are Atheistic - - in they do not believe in a God - - but they do have a belief system.

Sweet confirmation!

Then why are you fighting over the term like it is your belief system?

edit on 21-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Lets delve into the belief system of an atheist. Annee, would you like to participate?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Lets delve into the belief system of an atheist. Annee, would you like to participate?

There is none.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sweet confirmation!

Then why are you fighting over the term like it is your belief system?

Stating factual information is not fighting.

I fail to understand what confirmation you are referring to.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

There is none.

Thanks.

So Annee, you have described yourself as an atheist, and I'm quite sure you've stated your reasons for your position a few times here on ATS, but I can't sort through all of your post as you have many. So for everyone here, could you state again some reasons that you are an atheist? Don't worry if you feel your list is incomplete, as it can all be handled in time.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

There is none.

Thanks.

So Annee, you have described yourself as an atheist, and I'm quite sure you've stated your reasons for your position a few times here on ATS, but I can't sort through all of your post as you have many. So for everyone here, could you state again some reasons that you are an atheist? Don't worry if you feel your list is incomplete, as it can all be handled in time.

BTW - - Buddhism is not actually a religion - - it is a "group think" life philosophy - - So Yes - - you can be Atheist and follow Buddhism. But because it is an actual belief system - - - it is Atheistic in nature but not actually Atheist.

I lack belief in a god - - - because of my search for god.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'm not sure that made sense, can you restate that? Are you saying that you don't believe in God because God is nowhere to be found?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I'm not sure that made sense, can you restate that? Are you saying that you don't believe in God because God is nowhere to be found?

Sorry for short quip. I am nanny to a 4 year old boy.

Forums and 4 year old's are not always compatible. Will have to get back to you with a serious in-depth answer - later.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's fine, but I may move on to another subject by then.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Don't tell me you think they aren't. Atheism isn't your special position that belongs to a special chosen few. What you're saying is tantamount to saying that one religious faith is the true theist, while all the others are fake theists that don't deserve to be called one.
What? I said that they can be atheists. Just like Raelians, or whatever they are called. They too have a belief system, but it's not based on any gods. They are atheists. I didn't say it was a position for a special chosen few....

"Bhuddists aren't atheists." Another silly thing atheists will say?

"Atheism is our special non-position that shows that we are superior to all other positions in the belief in God"
Again, I didn't say that Buddhists aren't atheists. I said they can be atheists.

EDIT: I went back and read what I wrote and I think I see where you are confused. I said that Bhuddists CAN be atheists, but Bhuddhism IS NOT atheism. In other words, I'm an atheist, but that doesn't make me a bhuddist. Bhuddist have some form of belief system, it just doesn't involve believing in a god.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I will. Go ahead and delve away.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

I will. Go ahead and delve away.

Good. State some reasons you decided to be an atheist.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I said "against my better judgement" because you've consistently displayed an inability to understand simple concepts like definitions and etymology of words, thus trying to discuss anything with you is only slightly more enjoyable than passing a kidney stone.

The Church of Satan is a relatively new concept and congregation. It's "LeVayanism" and is much more a brand of secular humanism than a religious philosophy. Satanism has a history that goes back much further than the mid-60's. It holds that Satan is the one true god and all the Abrahamic religions are, in fact, the "great lie" used to enslave mankind. The tenets and beliefs of Satanism predate the word Satan itself and can be traced back to cults in ancient Sumeria as much as 4,500 years before Christianity and some claim its roots may be in the cult of Inanna and others. Even within the Church of Satan they believe in divine and supernatural powers as well as magic, to a degree, which to me contradicts their own belief. I know, I know, a 'religion' contradicting itself, what a surprise...

Peter Gilmore's entire quote is:

"Satanism begins with atheism. We begin with the universe and say, "It's indifferent. There's no God, there's no Devil. No one cares!" So you then have to make a decision that places yourself at the center of your own subjective universe, because of course we can't have any kind of objective contact with everything that exists. That's rather arrogant and delusional, people who try to put things that way. So by making yourself the primary value in your life, you're your own God. By being your own God, you are comfortable about making your own decisions about what to value. What's positive to you, is good. What harms you, is evil. You extend it to things that you cherish and the people that you cherish. So it's actually very easy to see that it's a self-centered philosophy."

...which speaks to some Church of Satan adherents belief of individual divinity, sharing concepts with gnosticism.

I agree with this quote by Gilmore:

"...any fundamentalist fanaticism is a vast threat. I'm looking for humanity to have a secular, pluralistic culture. People should be able to follow whatever fantasies or religions they want, as long as they don't impose them on other people and force other people into doing things based upon whatever kind of holy writ they have."

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Good. State some reasons you decided to be an atheist.
IMO, there's no credible evidence that gods exist.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Not going to read 10 pages. I just want to say that the only sensible answer to the God question is Agnosticism. All others are faking it, also known as "believing". And yes, Atheism is also a belief system.

There is simply not enough data to move the scale in any direction. We simply don't know and that mystery is beautiful

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
And yes, Atheism is also a belief system.
It is a belief system? Can you show me the tenents of atheism? Show me the dogma we abide by? All we say is "I do not believe your claim that gods exist". Apart from that, we can differ on anything else. How is that a belief system? It's a rejection to the claim of gods existing, that's all.

I'm an agnostic atheist by the way. I don't know if gods exist, but I do not believe they do.

EDIT: And by the way, the thread title says "Atheism is just silly". So, what the OP is saying is that rejecting the claim that gods exist is silly. That's all. And if he feels that way, that's cool.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyLucian
The Church of Satan is a relatively new concept and congregation. It's "LeVayanism" and is much more a brand of secular humanism than a religious philosophy.

BTW - - I have seen a couple documentaries on this and read the stuff in the link.

The 60s/70s were an amazing time and an awakening time. It's when society began Publicly branching out into New Age and Occult beliefs - - among other things.

Along with reading about Veyanism - - - Anton LaVey's personal biography should also be read. en.wikipedia.org...

Having lived during that time - - - I have a problem taking LaVey seriously - - or at least his real motivations for starting this church. It does seem he did do his homework though.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
pretty sure einstein was a jew if not borderline atheist

I have heard this about him being atheist, but I always wondered why he said: "God doesn't play dice with the universe."
www.quotedb.com...

Maybe, he changed his mind about things along the road.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join