It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient City May Have Been Discovered in Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by ladyteeny

Well the fossil record shows homo sapiens has been around for about 200'000 years - not even the blink of an eye geologically.

Our earliest known ancestors go back to the late Miocene, around 5.3 million years ago.

So yes, i would say it is pretty unlikely and improbable that there is anything linked to humans from around 15 million years ago.

However, seeing as you wish to argue this, why not show the evidence that shows we have been around for that long? I would be happy if you could prove me wrong.

"our earliest KNOWN ancestors" you say? so do you think there's NO chance that humankind could go back further than KNOWN records?

just look at ancient artefacts, even if they're not the age they purport to be, they're still a lot older than KNOWN history.

ancientstuff.maxforum.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

The problem is that most of the items on the list you presented are a load of rubbish and can be easily explained. Take the top item - the 400 million year old mechanism. It is Crinoid Fossils and there are a few threads already about it here on ATS.

Is it possible that humans at some point have had very advanced technology? Well yes, it is possible. There just happens to be no evidence for it though and therefore whilst possible it is highly unlikely.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
There are ancient cities underground that are run by Reptilians.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

The problem is that most of the items on the list you presented are a load of rubbish and can be easily explained. Take the top item - the 400 million year old mechanism. It is Crinoid Fossils and there are a few threads already about it here on ATS.

Is it possible that humans at some point have had very advanced technology? Well yes, it is possible. There just happens to be no evidence for it though and therefore whilst possible it is highly unlikely.

granted the first one is the crinoids, but that doesn't explain the many other anomalies with regard human's history.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I was thinking more Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness myself

My guess is this is an urban legend. I remember an article from some years back claiming artifacts and an entire ancient civilization being dug up in Antarctica, but when the story was traced back to it's source it turned out to be originally posted on April 1st.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Nothing has been in "Reputable" news. You have posted a link to a very questionable and highly dubious web site.
Anything from there is not Fact. Who knows what the EM Anomaly is? Antarctica is a Big Unknown.. but Jumping the Gun and saying "An Ancient City May Have Been Discovered in Antarctica"... Is leaving the realm of non-fiction and entering one of Fiction.

Why would people S&F Junk like this? boggles the mind.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Youareallschizophrenic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You know, there's a theory that H.P. Lovecraft wasn't simply coming up with his stories, but was instead tapping into something real -- a different dimension, an ancient history, a host of horrible monsters that had, for whatever reason, chosen to reveal themselves to him alone.

At the Mountains of Madness is, hands-down, the scariest story I've ever read. I was flat-out crying when they found poor Gedney, and I didn't stop until the end. No story ever did that to me before, and none has since. The only one that has ever come close is Shadow Over Innsmouth, another Lovecraft creation.

My point is this: For the love of all that's holy, PLEASE let this be a hoax. Nothing -- and I mean nothing -- good can come of this. Yeah, Lovecraft was actually right about the supposed "Mountains of Madness" themselves -- the mountains so old and so large they sink into the ice.

And Bowie's "Scary Monsters and Super Creeps" just came on my iPod randomly, so I'm just going to stop. That's the kind of coincidence I don't like.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyaena
You know, there's a theory that H.P. Lovecraft wasn't simply coming up with his stories, but was instead tapping into something real -- a different dimension, an ancient history, a host of horrible monsters that had, for whatever reason, chosen to reveal themselves to him alone....

And Bowie's "Scary Monsters and Super Creeps" just came on my iPod randomly, so I'm just going to stop. That's the kind of coincidence I don't like.

Damn and I was thinking that it might not be an ancient city but Cthulhu that's been trapped there for thousands of years. Let's hope it's all just coincidence heh?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyaena
You know, there's a theory that H.P. Lovecraft wasn't simply coming up with his stories, but was instead tapping into something real -- a different dimension, an ancient history, a host of horrible monsters that had, for whatever reason, chosen to reveal themselves to him alone.

At the Mountains of Madness is, hands-down, the scariest story I've ever read. I was flat-out crying when they found poor Gedney, and I didn't stop until the end. No story ever did that to me before, and none has since. The only one that has ever come close is Shadow Over Innsmouth, another Lovecraft creation.

My point is this: For the love of all that's holy, PLEASE let this be a hoax. Nothing -- and I mean nothing -- good can come of this. Yeah, Lovecraft was actually right about the supposed "Mountains of Madness" themselves -- the mountains so old and so large they sink into the ice.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Muwhahaha.... ha....

edit on 19/3/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by yampa
"The Scientists are grappling with some serious magnetic anomalies that could be caused by metal from an ancient city"

How bored are you? You didn't even spell 'ancient' correctly in the title. There is no city, and this is not a real thread.

What are you, an English teacher?

You must have been bored to make such a Boring reply

Great post OP, I had seen this a few days ago and thought WoW. My mind tells me there is alot of hidden mysteries hidden under that part of the world, Underworld? Who knows

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Antartica is the supposed 'underworld entrance' where most of the alien underground bases are, right? Now, what if the heat and the magnetic anomalies are caused by those? That would be even more huge than the discovery of an ancient human city IMO.
I'm saying this because wherever there's a magnetic anomaly, an underground base is supposed to be producing it... I think it had something to do with a small magnetic field they generated in order to withstand living there, I can't remember quite well.

Anyways, should this be alien or earthly, it doesn't stops being amazing!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ah yes using enterprizemission for a source, kinda like going to the city jail for personal references....but I see others have trashed the idea already

The drilling down to Vostok is a good achievement next year we should be a better idea what is down there

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Hmmm...Magnetic anomaly at the south pole.......Isn't there supposed to be a magnetic anomaly there
How come they haven't mentioned this before, were they trying to make contact with the aliens before telling us to see if they would tell them how to make gold.
Sounds like a nice warm lake for a polar bear plunge but it would be too hard to chop through the ice. Warm water would mean there's a possibility of a dome of air between the ice and water.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

apparently the scientists werent missing, they just lost radio contact due to some crap story they threw to the media.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is an obvious hoax. Scientists only recently drilled through to Lake Vostok, and so far they didn't do much. There's no way there was any magnetic anomaly, and even if there was, that wouldn't signify a city.

Moreover, the lake has not been uncovered in human times. It's not even known if there is life down there, let alone do scientists expect there to have been a city there at some time.

Lake Vostok is below kilometres of ice. It took a very, very long time to drill down that far. No way did it get covered up with ice since humans started building cities.

The referenced article is a fabrication. Want to disagree with me? Please provide a credible source.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
An ancient city under the water of a huge lake wich is also under ice. I think i'll lean towards a natural explanation for until theres more evidence. It could just be a huge iron ore deposit.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
last i heard they had to stop drilling coz it got too cold, theyr going back when it warms up again

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join