It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient City May Have Been Discovered in Antarctica

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Scientists believe they may have discovered an ancient city under the ice of Antarctica. At the bottom of the ice at Lake Vostok. The Scientists are grappling with some serious magnetic anomalies that could be caused by metal from an ancient city. The scientists have already proved that the lake itself is warm and has a heat source.The lake has an average Temp of 65 F
Microbiotic life has also been proven to exist there. The lake is 3000ft deep, ~(water depth) and the size of lake Ontario. Now I don't know if this is a fact or there is a better explanation for the curious readings the scientists are getting,So I am handing it over to you ATS for further research and analysis.

Think what this could mean if true.

www.enterprisemission.com...

A team of scientists from Columbia University, working under the auspices of the NSF, early in 2001 began a series of unprecedented low-altitude aerial surveys over Lake Vostok, designed to chart gravitational, magnetic and thermal activity under the ice. In the course of doing so, they made a stunning find. A huge magnetic anomaly was discovered covering the entire Southeast portion of the shore of the Lake. This remarkable anomaly, which is discrepant from the background by over 1,000 nanoteslas (a significant variance, compared to daily variations in the Earth's magnetic field), could of course be caused by "natural" processes. One possibility, voiced by Columbia's Michael Studinger, is that the Earth's crust in the vicinity of the Lake is simply thinner under this section of Antarctica, having been stretched during the formation of the lake bed itself. This, according to Studinger, would result in a "local magnetic anomaly." Others, like Enterprise consulting geologist Ron Nicks, have serious difficulty with this theory. Nicks explains that such a thinning would heat the underlying rock and thus diminish (rather than increase -- as observed) the crust's ability to locally amplify the Earth's magnetic field. There is, as always, an equally viable alternative explanation. An anomaly like this could also be caused by an accumulation of metals -- the kind you would get if you found the ruins of an ancient, buried city! An "ancient city under the ice?" Such a discovery would be absolutely dazzling, sending shockwaves through our world as profound as the discovery of "artifacts on Mars" or "ruins on the Moon." And the notion is not as improbable as you may think.
[
edit on 18-3-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Oh heck I saw Aliens v Predator I hope it isn't that

Back from my silly mood now and all I can say is wow!!
It will change the history books if true and who knows what we will find and maybe it will prove that we more advanced back then than previously thought. Maybe when it is all melted due to global warming we will find out more.
But I think if really found TPTB will cover it up.
Good find
sparked my imagination up S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is from 2001 - there are lots of weird stories coming out of that place but if an ancient site had been found, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Guess it would be easy to keep it under wraps down there though.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Borag the Horse
Never denied that there was one. But please look at your spelling, it is atrocious.

You never denied What?
edit on 18-3-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wonder why there was no mention of this from the reports this year? Also, what ever happened to those missing scientists? I kept trying to follow the story but found nothing...

spec

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
This is from 2001 - there are lots of weird stories coming out of that place but if an ancient site had been found, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Guess it would be easy to keep it under wraps down there though.

Maybe it is from 2001 , but there has been a lot of strange activity down there
very recently. If this is not real thread , then what is it?
An Unreal thread lol, who are you to decide what is real and what is not.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This may interest you: They Did It! Russians Expose Lake Vostok Secrets

Well, no, not all the secrets. It seems we won't find much info on this until next year. However, it's also worth noting that there were stories of Nazis retreating to a secret base in that region of the world. Anything the diggers find could be covered up though.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Wonder why there was no mention of this from the reports this year? Also, what ever happened to those missing scientists? I kept trying to follow the story but found nothing...

spec

My thoughts exactly, that was why i was poking around and found this older report.
Seems it has to have todays date on it for some people.

I think they are to used to reading news papers.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

*Gigidty*

I love stuff like this. Am posting so it'll be in my ATS file to check on later.

Hope there are updates.

S&F
beez

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hi OP,

I suggest you inform yourself about lake Vostok a bit more before giving us "hot news" dating 2001.
The magnetic anomaly is old news and since then a whole lot has happened on lake Vostok (check out on ATS numerous threads).
Also I would like to be explained how a magnetic anomaly implies an ancient city (made entirely out of steel???).
This thread is sterile.

Peace.
edit on 18-3-2012 by Logiciel because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logiciel
Hi OP,

I suggest you inform yourself about lake Vostok a bit more before giving us "hot news" dating 2001.
The magnetic anomaly is old news and since then a whole lot has happened on lake Vostok (check out on ATS numerous threads).
Also I would like to be explained how a magnetic anomaly implies an ancient city (made entirely out of steel???).
This thread is sterile.

Peace.
edit on 18-3-2012 by Logiciel because: (no reason given)

Wait....... I never said that an Ancient City had been discovered, I said it "May" have been, and that was a working theory from a group of Scientists, not from the working mind of Rigel4. Your tone is not too helpful either.
Some of us enjoy a mystery whether it be fact or theory.
Is there anything else you would like to contribute to the thread , or are you on your way to something more appealing
to your taste.

Good Evening

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Friends I have found this piece of information on another website, again I can't vouch for
the source, but it is Interesting all the same.

ancientstuff.maxforum.org... d-in-antarctica/

A California TV crew missing since November 2002, a video they left behind and a mission by U.S. Navy SEALs are the key elements in a story that claims extensive ancient ruins have been found under the ice of Antarctica. A spokesman for the company is reported to have said at the time that "The U.S. government said it will seek to block the airing of a video found by Navy rescuers in Antarctica that purportedly reveals that a massive archaeological dig is underway two miles (3,200 meters) beneath the ice."

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If it IS the remains of ancient city under the mile or so of ice, it isn't just ancient...it would be astoundingly, old - primordial in fact.

The teaching is that the ice has been present for around 15 Million years...that's older than 'ancient'!

For what it's worth, i'd be delighted if it was indeed the remains of a 15 Million year old civilisation, but it's more likely (imo) to be fragments of a huge meteor that probably formed the huge impact that later became the lake.

Coincidentally, 15 MYA, is around the time the first hominids appear on Earth...were we kick started by a huge meteor whacking the once much warmer Antarctica and moving the Earth out of kilter causing the icing of the continent?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
If it IS the remains of ancient city under the mile or so of ice, it isn't just ancient...it would be astoundingly, old - primordial in fact.

The teaching is that the ice has been present for around 15 Million years...that's older than 'ancient'!

For what it's worth, i'd be delighted if it was indeed the remains of a 15 Million year old civilisation, but it's more likely (imo) to be fragments of a huge meteor that probably formed the huge impact that later became the lake.

Coincidentally, 15 MYA, is around the time the first hominids appear on Earth...were we kick started by a huge meteor whacking the once much warmer Antarctica and moving the Earth out of kilter causing the icing of the continent?

I was reading that the age of the Ice is actually hotly debated, ranging from 15,000 years to several million years. I can bring up the links if you like , but if you follow my original link in the OP, there is some mention of the different theories on the age of the ice.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4 I said it "May" have been, and that was a working theory from a group of Scientists,

Actually, it isn't and it never was. No scientist believed that (though a few who called themselves scientists and who never visited there apparently do.)

You can verify this for yourself by asking "what are the names of the scientists?" -- when archaeologists make discoveries, even minor ones, their names are attache to the discovery and you can easily look them up on the university web sites. Cities, by the way, are not identified by magnetic anomalies.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by rigel4 I said it "May" have been, and that was a working theory from a group of Scientists,

Actually, it isn't and it never was. No scientist believed that (though a few who called themselves scientists and who never visited there apparently do.)

You can verify this for yourself by asking "what are the names of the scientists?" -- when archaeologists make discoveries, even minor ones, their names are attache to the discovery and you can easily look them up on the university web sites. Cities, by the way, are not identified by magnetic anomalies.

These names below are in the the original link that was provided, I just read a website and thought it worth sharing with you all. I can't vouch for how authentic it all is, but the names are there.

One possibility, voiced by Columbia's Michael Studinger, is that the Earth's crust in the vicinity of the Lake is simply thinner under this section of Antarctica, having been stretched during the formation of the lake bed itself. This, according to Studinger, would result in a "local magnetic anomaly." Others, like Enterprise consulting geologist Ron Nicks, have serious difficulty with this theory. Nicks explains that such a thinning would heat the underlying rock and thus diminish (rather than increase -- as observed) the crust's ability to locally amplify the Earth's magnetic field.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Is this the same magnetic anomaly that is hypothesized to be caused by a thinning of the earths crust?

Or is that to mundane an answer?

Technical yet enlightening link

rockbox.rutgers.edu:16080...

I wish it would be true tho`

If something is down there, we should watch our benevolent-Russian-friend-of-the-people Putin.. I think he drunk it..

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 18-3-2012 by MrSinister because: wait heres more

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join